+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC applicants & Int'l Students - Are you being scammed by CIC?

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if int'l students who finished their education in Canada, then worked for 2 years and have already applied for CEC, are you in anyway DIS-satisfied by the CEC application process?

-13-15month waiting time?
-CEC applicants who were on work permit but were laid off and are not able to get another job because their work permit was employer specific and other employers dont want to apply for a new work permit
-Loosing your health insurance
-Getting back to college, just to stay in Canada while your CEC is processed

Anything at all - please share your comments. I'm going through tough and i'm just wondering if its me in this situation or if CIC can further improve and quicken the process.

Thanks.

Calgary_Man

Dec 28, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/New Delhi
NOC Code......
SPOUSAL VISA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-MARCH-2014
Doc's Request.
NONE
AOR Received.
AOR1- 23-JUNE-2014, AOR2 - 02-JULY-2014, IP - 19-SEPT-2014
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
23-JUNE-2014
Med's Request
FILED WITH APPLICATION
Med's Done....
21 FEB 2014
Interview........
INTERVIEW - WAIVED, DM - 14 OCT, 2014
Passport Req..
13 OCT, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 21, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
you have a wrong notion like other foreign graduates and work permit students; permanent residency is a privilege not a right!

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
No body's debating if its a right or privilege. What's being discussed is the impact of the current CEC process on applicants and their motivation and employability by the time they reach the PR status.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I don't think so. The process is really straight forward and International Students could receive up to 3 yrs on their PGWP so they can gain their experiences and apply for CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's also no obligation to remain in Canada while the CEC application is being processed. If your job situation here changes and remaining in Canada is too tough/complicated, you can always leave and return once the PR visa has been approved. So CEC applicants have many options.

CEC application times aren't too bad. Heck, there are many people going through the spousal sponsorship process (i.e. people being sponsored by their Canadian husband or wife) who have to wait just as long or even far far longer than CEC applicants (if you think CEC processing times are unfair, try joining the family class section of this forum and ask the people who have been waiting for two and three years how they feel). There are also many Federal Skilled Worker applicants who have been waiting for years.

Canada has a generous immigration policy by allowing those with Canadian experience to apply for PR. In many countries you can't qualify to apply for residency without your employer's sponsorship.

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
I think InfoSeeker12 that the problem lies not within CIC but in most human beings, most of us are intolerant of others and do not use our brains for what it was created for, the effect of that are divisions and borders amongst the human race, governments and policies to reinforce the "I am better than you" notion, and the brainwashing of some people who become to believe that other people come in classes and that the so called privilege of immigration is for the chosen ones.
On another note, just this Saturday I met an immigrant who has been here for many years and he asked my wife if we were getting paid (wellfare) for our children like he is. My wife told him we are not here to abuse the system.
Canada chose well. not!

rosty2

Jul 5, 2012
Scarborough
Category........
Visa Office......
CCP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 8th 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Oct 25th
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
March 2nd 2013
Med's Done....
March 4th 2013
Passport Req..
April 4th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 17th 2013
LANDED..........
April 21st 2013
InfoSeeker12 said:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if int'l students who finished their education in Canada, then worked for 2 years and have already applied for CEC, are you in anyway DIS-satisfied by the CEC application process?

-CEC applicants who were on work permit but were laid off and are not able to get another job because their work permit was employer specific and other employers dont want to apply for a new work permit

Anything at all - please share your comments. I'm going through tough and i'm just wondering if its me in this situation or if CIC can further improve and quicken the process.

Thanks.
Yet another person that is losing patience. You just applied in september and you already feel scammed? As other said PR is a privilege in Canada not a right. I don't mind wait and going through all the hassles because I believe in what i'm doing here. My siblings and my familly have a chance to stand up free in this country. CEC is a great opportunity and you will never guess how I will celelbrate when I will be a PR.
Don't get me wrong CIC officials know the backlog, they know the pressure that employers face and they even know that they have to put Canadians first...speak clearly if you plan to do something to improve the process or otherwise calm down, wait your PR and be happy.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Thanks Scylla,

Glad to know that your perception of other CIC programs is similar. No doubt family stream and FSW applicants have been waiting for way more longer, perhaps even forever. But the CEC applicants who are already inside the country perhaps they are directly impacted, specially the ones who wound up everything back at home. Again, its very relative and differs from case to case.

@Rosty2 - Dude no one is infringing your freedom rights to start dancing after you get your AOR. Being happy about freedom is not enough, you have to show that you respect other's freedom too, so no matter who asks what, you dont have the right to stop someone from asking those questions. But your suggestions for improvement are very welcome.

@Ihabkal - I'm sorry to hear that dude. But yes, your wife can chose a system abuser to talk to and to be friends with. You just gotta be tolerant about it. Use your brain - be tolerant or vent about your marriage issues on visa forum site?

Again, suggestions to improve anything in the process are very welcome.

scylla said:
There's also no obligation to remain in Canada while the CEC application is being processed. If your job situation here changes and remaining in Canada is too tough/complicated, you can always leave and return once the PR visa has been approved. So CEC applicants have many options.

CEC application times aren't too bad. Heck, there are many people going through the spousal sponsorship process (i.e. people being sponsored by their Canadian husband or wife) who have to wait just as long or even far far longer than CEC applicants (if you think CEC processing times are unfair, try joining the family class section of this forum and ask the people who have been waiting for two and three years how they feel). There are also many Federal Skilled Worker applicants who have been waiting for years.

Canada has a generous immigration policy by allowing those with Canadian experience to apply for PR. In many countries you can't qualify to apply for residency without your employer's sponsorship.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
InfoSeeker12 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks.
I can understand your frustration too, infoseeker. Nobody likes the feeling of not knowing what's going on, being kept in suspense. I've been going nuts too over the waiting time and just wondering if I did everything right.

If you are working in Canada now based on the Post Graduate Work Permit (as an international student) - I don't think you can study (and work at the same time) while you are waiting for CEC. You either study OR you work - not both. Go look at your permit in the passport - if I remember correctly, there's a condition stating that there.

Like I just mentioned in the other thread, (if you are from a visa-exempt country), you can either choose to go home, or go visit somewhere for a short trip, and then come right back to Canada (as a visitor). That qualifies you for another 6 months stay, but it also means you cannot work during this time. Or, you can go back to your home country and just wait it out (and finding a temp job in the meantime).

uing

Star Member
Jan 4, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/04/2012
AOR Received.
10/30/2012
IELTS Request
sent along with the application
Guys,

We are here to support each other, not to argue.

For me Canadian immigration is nice compare to US. i just think at some point they should improve the system in terms of giving us chances to remain in the country and still be able to work instead of finding a hard time for LMO. I understand that they are protecting canadian first But yet at some part of the country the canadian themselves are abusing the welfare system and do not want to work. Why don't this situation be improved and give this chances that canadian waste to the immigrant especially those who are willing to work and wants to become a permanent residence and call canada as their home.

On another note, i work for a financial institution, i see a lot of example of business investor immigration where all the new immigrant just bring $2,000,000.00 into canada and boom they got their PR. and this is a real example that i see with my own eyes. Some of the immigrant CAN'T even speak english and yet they are here with their PR and money.

Enough said, i wish a good christmas season for those who celebrate or else let's hope we get our PR soon.

peace out

uing

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
InfoSeeker12 said:
@ Ihabkal - I'm sorry to hear that dude. But yes, your wife can chose a system abuser to talk to and to be friends with. You just gotta be tolerant about it. Use your brain - be tolerant or vent about your marriage issues on visa forum site?

Can you read my post and understand it before you send off misplaced advice?

Sunny_tor

Jan 19, 2012
@ InfoSeeker

I understand your pain / frustrations but what i dont understand is what are looking to get out of this discussion? Do you really think that at the end of this discussion we will all be able to come up with an agenda that we would be able to submit to the CIC as reference bona fied that they must follow or inculcate in their ever improvement procedure ?

If you are going through a tough time even after undergoing a whole 2 yrs or so of education in Canada, then it is you only who can improve your own situation!
The point i think which must be pondered upon here is "how to change your situation of getting a solid stable job even if you have your PR earlier than say 13 months". Underlying issue which needs to be addressed with serious consequences might be other than thinking how to squeeze the CIC timeline even further.

Good Luck!

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
uing said:
On another note, i work for a financial institution, i see a lot of example of business investor immigration where all the new immigrant just bring $2,000,000.00 into canada and boom they got their PR. and this is a real example that i see with my own eyes. Some of the immigrant CAN'T even speak english and yet they are here with their PR and money.
I work for a fairly high end residential furniture company, and see lots of such examples all the time (especially those that came with their spouses as a family). I'm thinking to myself, "What IELTS are they talking about??" They can't even form a complete sentence in English. Come here first, learn English later. I even had a customer who bought lots of pricy furniture from me... her husband applied to be PR here (and applied for her to come with him). After they got it successfully, he goes back to his home country for his business (and leaves her here by herself), coming for a brief visit only once every 4 to 5 months. Meanwhile, she only speaks Mandarin, and takes English lessons to brush up her language skills. I have to translate whatever she needs to say into English for her (and many such customers too).

In Chinese, we have a saying, 有钱能使鬼推磨. with money you can make the devil turn the millstone - money can work miracles; money makes the mare go. With money, you can come without IELTS too. We don't have money.. so just have to suck it up :D :D

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Shells and Uing - really appreciate your input, specially about how the employers avoid LMO hassle.

I agree Uing that the easiest way for someone in a limbo, waiting for CEC when work permit is already over, is to return home and then come back. But its always easier said than done. Costs for travel, moving out of current place and then move back in later, selling car and then buying one again when returning back after CEC is approved. And all these costs are being incurred when the person is already out of work and no other employer wants to go through the LMO hassle. Just imagine how much a person would be in debt after returning back to Canada - provided if he/she still wants to after going through so much.

This thing is resolved in a provincial nominee program where as soon as the application is accepted, there is no more requirement of a work permit. That should be the ideal case for CEC applicants as well, in my opinion.

shells said:
I can understand your frustration too, infoseeker. Nobody likes the feeling of not knowing what's going on, being kept in suspense. I've been going nuts too over the waiting time and just wondering if I did everything right.

If you are working in Canada now based on the Post Graduate Work Permit (as an international student) - I don't think you can study (and work at the same time) while you are waiting for CEC. You either study OR you work - not both. Go look at your permit in the passport - if I remember correctly, there's a condition stating that there.

Like I just mentioned in the other thread, (if you are from a visa-exempt country), you can either choose to go home, or go visit somewhere for a short trip, and then come right back to Canada (as a visitor). That qualifies you for another 6 months stay, but it also means you cannot work during this time. Or, you can go back to your home country and just wait it out (and finding a temp job in the meantime).

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
Yeah, We're lucky they even give us the chance to become Canadian. Look at how hard it is to get an American or any other first world country citizenship. I would say you should be happy. If they made it too easy, guess what, you probably wouldn't even get it anytime soon.