+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CCB benefits

mngarg

Nov 21, 2016
Recieved a letter from CRA asking letter from Landlord with rental details as of date of landing (April 2018) otherwise CCB will stop; but landlord is only ready to write from Jan 2019 as he has taken rent as cash in 2018.

Pls advise what are my options?

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
Recieved a letter from CRA asking letter from Landlord with rental details as of date of landing (April 2018) otherwise CCB will stop; but landlord is only ready to write from Jan 2019 as he has taken rent as cash in 2018.

Did you not sign standard lease form at the time of renting?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Then you just might have to write a letter indicating the landlord was only paid in cash. The landlord obviously from wanting only cash, and not wanting to write a letter with the rental details did not declare the funds in question on his income tax return.

mngarg

Nov 21, 2016
Then you just might have to write a letter indicating the landlord was only paid in cash. The landlord obviously from wanting only cash, and not wanting to write a letter with the rental details did not declare the funds in question on his income tax return.
Any option where landlord also wont fall in trouble either?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Any option where landlord also wont fall in trouble either?
The landlord committed tax fraud by not reporting the rental income. You will be providing proof of that. Whether CRA decides to take action on it, no one can say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would include other proof that you have been living in Canada on top of your lease to reinforce the issue. Things like credit card or bank statements that show regular use would prove that you have been in Canada during that time. Are you not working? You should have had proof based on your 2018 income tax.

Jul 29, 2019
the law must be respected. If you in any way cooperated with the landlord for tax evasion willingly, you would face legal punishment if and when a conviction is issued.

North America is a land of the law. Thus understand what you were proposing is not "being nice", but willing cooperation of criminal activities in the eyes of the law.

Stop worrying about what a criminal would face. Just do your part as a law-abiding citizen

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I did. And I also have a copy of deed.
But on the same time not want my landlord to be in trouble for not showing rent.
Well the reason you are having problems getting the CCB is because he is evading paying taxes on income earned, and by him not wanting to write a letter, he knows it. Where do you think the CCB comes from ? Taxes paid on income from taxpayers. And you are worried about someone not playing by the rules, and causing you a issue on getting the CCB ??

Reactions: torontosm

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
the law must be respected. If you in any way cooperated with the landlord for tax evasion willingly, you would face legal punishment if and when a conviction is issued.

North America is a land of the law. Thus understand what you were proposing is not "being nice", but willing cooperation of criminal activities in the eyes of the law.

Stop worrying about what a criminal would face. Just do your part as a law-abiding citizen
OP will not face any legal repercussions if their landlord has failed to declare the rental income.