+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBP FOIA record partially releasable meaning?

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
thecoolguysam said:
Today, I have got my FOIA report which i submitted on 7th Jan, 2015.
Hey Coolguysam, you see why I need to withdraw and reprocess? I submitted mine one month before yours and realized a mistake, sent an update - I guess they just got pissed off ;D Congrats on getting it anyways

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
notalawyer said:
Hey Coolguysam, you see why I need to withdraw and reprocess? I submitted mine one month before yours and realized a mistake, sent an update - I guess they just got pissed off ;D Congrats on getting it anyways
I had a mistake done on Jan 7th and withdrawn it the same day and submitted a new request on Jan 7th again.

It means that if you resubmit after withdraw then the processing time will start from scratch.

I got entry records only for land travels and entry/exit records for air travel.

As per the following link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html
Entry to one country will act as exit from other and this is what i suspect that CIC will match CBSA entry records with CBP entry records to calculate the days the person was away.
I think that's why they don't provide exit records for land travel.

I wish you best of luck.. cheers!

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
thecoolguysam said:
I had a mistake done on Jan 7th and withdrawn it the same day and submitted a new request on Jan 7th again.

It means that if you resubmit after withdraw then the processing time will start from scratch.

I got entry records only for land travels and entry/exit records for air travel.

As per the following link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/ebsiip-asfipi-eng.html
Entry to one country will act as exit from other and this is what i suspect that CIC will match CBSA entry records with CBP entry records to calculate the days the person was away.
I think that's why they don't provide exit records for land travel.

I wish you best of luck.. cheers!
Hopefully, I wont really need it . . . its just nice to see the records and keep in my file. And I am not expecting the US to have the exit record for land border.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
notalawyer said:
Hopefully, I wont really need it . . . its just nice to see the records and keep in my file. And I am not expecting the US to have the exit record for land border.
for non US/CANADIAN citizens, they issue i94 document. i94 does record land departures but some might be correct and some not.
If you check i94 faqs it states that land departures are not always recorded properly.

As entry/exit initiative has started, now both CBSA and CBP share their data.

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
thecoolguysam said:
for non US/CANADIAN citizens, they issue i94 document. i94 does record land departures but some might be correct and some not.
If you check i94 faqs it states that land departures are not always recorded properly.

As entry/exit initiative has started, now both CBSA and CBP share their data.
Oh, ok and I see that I94 record can also be downloaded online without making a FOI request, wonder why they cannot have that for everyone. I think even before the initiative, which is after my travels, they shared some information - I can tell from my discussions with the US border agent while crossing sometimes that they have some information about my Canada trip already.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
notalawyer said:
Oh, ok and I see that I94 record can also be downloaded online without making a FOI request, wonder why they cannot have that for everyone. I think even before the initiative, which is after my travels, they shared some information - I can tell from my discussions with the US border agent while crossing sometimes that they have some information about my Canada trip already.
US/CANADIAN citizens can't get i94. its only meant for countries other than canada and usa. i94 is a form stapled to the passport and usually is valid for 6 months, multiple entry.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
I had one missing entry on my i94 record thus i have ordered FOIA records for myself.

Now all the entries show up.

If I look at the report, it only has entries data(arrival) for land travel and no exit data (departure) for land travel.

However, if i look at the air travel, it shows both entry(arrival) and exit(departure) data.

Is not having exit (departure) data by land travel normal? Did CBP miss it?

If someone has gone through this process, please let me know.