+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CBP FOIA record partially releasable meaning?

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
Hi all,

I requested an entry/exit record for my two passports (one passport expired 2 years ago)on FOIA website last night, and got their email this morning, which saying my records are partially releasable, but I got no attachment with that email. I was wondering what does that mean? should I wait for anything in the mail? or they are not going to give me the report at all.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
51smoker said:
Hi all,

I requested an entry/exit record for my two passports (one passport expired 2 years ago)on FOIA website last night, and got their email this morning, which saying my records are partially releasable, but I got no attachment with that email. I was wondering what does that mean? should I wait for anything in the mail? or they are not going to give me the report at all.
When they say something is partially releasable, they just mean they're going to exclude certain (usually non-important) information, such as the name of the border agent you dealt with. If you made the request online, just go to your account (log in with username and password) and the records should be there. If you did it by snail mail, I assume you'll get the results the same way.

To be more specific, I looked at an old FOIA request and this is how it worked: 1) I received an e-mail saying the request was granted in part/denied in part. 2) I logged into FOIAonline using my e-mail address and password. 3) I clicked on "View my FOIA requests." 4) I clicked on the tracking number of the request. 5) I scrolled to the bottom of the page, where it says "released records." 6) I clicked on the PDF file containing the records.

I notice that some people suggest making a FOIA request without creating an account. No, always create an account, so you can track the request and receive your report!

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Is there anyway to track CBSA reports..I received an email with the File No. but not sure where to track the status ? Does anyone knows about it ?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
aries9811 said:
Is there anyway to track CBSA reports..I received an email with the File No. but not sure where to track the status ? Does anyone knows about it ?
You can't track that request. You need to wait for the CBSA records to arrive by mail. It takes 30-40 calendar days for mail to arriveafter submitting the online request

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
Thank you for such a detailed instruction. I followed your instruction, and found the pdf file. thanks again!
alphazip said:
When they say something is partially releasable, they just mean they're going to exclude certain (usually non-important) information, such as the name of the border agent you dealt with. If you made the request online, just go to your account (log in with username and password) and the records should be there. If you did it by snail mail, I assume you'll get the results the same way.

To be more specific, I looked at an old FOIA request and this is how it worked: 1) I received an e-mail saying the request was granted in part/denied in part. 2) I logged into FOIAonline using my e-mail address and password. 3) I clicked on "View my FOIA requests." 4) I clicked on the tracking number of the request. 5) I scrolled to the bottom of the page, where it says "released records." 6) I clicked on the PDF file containing the records.

I notice that some people suggest making a FOIA request without creating an account. No, always create an account, so you can track the request and receive your report!

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
51smoker said:
Thank you for such a detailed instruction. I followed your instruction, and found the pdf file. thanks again!
51Smoker,

Did you say that you applied last night and got the document today? I have being waiting more than a month for my entry and exit record.

Thanks

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011
notalawyer said:
51Smoker,

Did you say that you applied last night and got the document today? I have being waiting more than a month for my entry and exit record.

Thanks
Yes, that's what I meant. I really really submit the request yesterday on their website. and today they finished the work, and I'm able to download a 14-page report from my account on FOIA website. I'm amazed how efficient they are.
ps, I created an account before submitting the request, and the file is in pdf file.

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
51smoker said:
Yes, that's what I meant. I really really submit the request yesterday on their website. and today they finished the work, and I'm able to download a 14-page report from my account on FOIA website. I'm amazed how efficient they are.
Whaoh, that is a success story . . . can you please share how you did it? Mine has being in "Assignment" since December.

Thank you

51smoker

Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2010
Doc's Request.
13-07-2011
AOR Received.
09-05-2011
Med's Request
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
21-07-2011

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
51smoker said:
I used this link https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate to submit my request
I dont't think I did anything special to speed up the process. I created an account first then made a FOIA request and fill out the information with *. That's all I did.
Thanks, I did the same, created the account and requested the document online. I received an email the following day that border incident processing takes 12 months (i had no incidence aside from in and out). I just sent them an email, if I dont hear back in about 1 month I will withdraw and reapply.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
notalawyer said:
Thanks, I did the same, created the account and requested the document online. I received an email the following day that border incident processing takes 12 months (i had no incidence aside from in and out). I just sent them an email, if I dont hear back in about 1 month I will withdraw and reapply.
once you apply it will show estimated date of completion as one month but it usually takes upto 3 months. Patience is the key if you want to wait. I am waiting too.

notalawyer

Star Member
Jul 23, 2007
thecoolguysam said:
once you apply it will show estimated date of completion as one month but it usually takes upto 3 months. Patience is the key if you want to wait. I am waiting too.
Yes, it showed estimated date of completion which is about 2 weeks ago . . ., And my if someone could get it in 24hrs then there is no need to wait for 2160 hours . . . moreso, since the organization is not CIC :)

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My spouse, a U.S. citizen, requested U.S. entry records on November 26, 2014. They arrived by e-mail today, so that's nearly two months.