+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Casual Labour in Canada

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My fiance is going to be taking a course in the BCRPA area, to get his certificate as a fitness trainer.

What we were wondering is...if he were to work for some local orchards to get a cash-only job (casual labour) would that be okay for him? My family is currently sponsoring him and me (we are to be married in four months so we can start his permanent residency papers), but he'd like to make a little money if he can so he doesn't feel like he's just being an intrusion.

Is it a good idea to do that? Just some casual labour to get a little cash in his pocket to save up for future times or at least pay for his food or something?

Any answers ASAP would be great! Thanks!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Really bad idea.
Why do you think there are rules in Canada?

When your family sponsored him they agreed that they would support him. That is why they signed the forms.

Unless he is authorized to work, he should not.

Why would you want to put the PR application at risk, just because as you say "so he doesn't feel like he's just being an intrusion" ?

If he was caught, it wouldn't surprise me if he was deported and banned from visiting Canada.

FWIW you might want to check if he is allowed to receive education or training while visiting Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First of all, it's illegal for him to work in Canada without having a work permit or his PR first. Second, working for cash only = black market is illegal regardless because he's not paying taxes. If he gets caught, he'll likely be deported and possibly banned from Canada for a while. Do you really want to risk that for a few bucks?

As for taking a course on visit status, he is allowed to take courses shorter than 6 months. If it's longer, he needs a study permit.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
As for taking a course on visit status, he is allowed to take courses shorter than 6 months. If it's longer, he needs a study permit.
Leon,
Does that apply if the VR states "Prohibited from attending any educational institution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course."

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does a visit visa actually say that?

At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp where it gives you information on study permits, it says:

You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then you should call CIC and ask about that and then come back here and tell us what they said :D

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Then you should call CIC and ask about that and then come back here and tell us what they said :D
You are really kind to me...... can I make an anonymous call, or ring with your name instead?

The least you could do is give me the number ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can make an anonymous call or you can say you are asking for your friend Leon :)

The number of their call centre is 1 888 242‑2100 and it will start out with an automated system where you'll have to pick through the first couple of menus before you can press 0 to get a person.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called 1-888-242-2100 - but it doesn't seem to like skype calls.

or......

They know I am calling on behalf of my friend Leon :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can only call from within Canada, that's probably why it doesn't like skype because it doesn't know where it comes from.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You can only call from within Canada, that's probably why it doesn't like skype because it doesn't know where it comes from.
I will make the call from a landline, tomorrow.

bethanya

Dec 18, 2009
Canada...eh?
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Perhaps I should have explained it a little differently...

He HAS a student visa that is valid for two years. He's up here studying. We haven't actually started the PR application, since he has to be my spouse at the time of application with a valid marriage certificate. Because we can't get any family up here to have a wedding, and we BOTH want a normal wedding with all our family, we're just trying to keep him legal in some way.

I wasn't sure if, during his studying, he could do casual labour like even do some odd jobs for some cash, you know? For people we know?

Just letting you all know. Thanks!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bethanya said:
I wasn't sure if, during his studying, he could do casual labour like even do some odd jobs for some cash, you know? For people we know?
No matter how you look at it, you are suggesting something that is illegal. That may not bother you, but....
The problem is, if someone reports it, or he gets caught he can be deported and banned - ask yourself is it worth the risk?

If he wants to "do something" why not look at volunteering for a good cause (you still have to be careful about what he can do, even with this type of activity.)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he's on a student visa and he's been studying for 6 months or more, he can apply for a student work permit which would allow him to work up to 20 hours a week, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus-how.asp

Most Canadians wouldn't worry about working odd jobs for cash but when you are not a Canadian, doing something like that can get you deported very fast.