+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case referred to special unit for exclusion

Tayyab29

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I applied for Spousal application on October 08, 2020 and my eligibility is still in process. GCSM notes says the following
"Case referred to special unit for exclusion. unclear is SPR was residing in Canada at time of lock in"

Its been more than 14.5 months and the process is not even started yet. Any suggestion?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is the sponsoe a pr?

If so,Was the sponsor livojg outside Canada at the time of application? What about now? (More detail may be needed, ie how long outside Canada )

Tayyab29

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes I (sponsor) am a PR and the spousal application was received on 8th October 2020, while I came back to Canada on 18th October 2020 (10 days after file was received). I only went outside Canada for 50 days at that time to get married. I did not know that the sponsor has to be in Canada, otherwise I would have waited.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes I (sponsor) am a PR and the spousal application was received on 8th October 2020, while I came back to Canada on 18th October 2020 (10 days after file was received). I only went outside Canada for 50 days at that time to get married. I did not know that the sponsor has to be in Canada, otherwise I would have waited.
Yes the note and delay is because of this. (Assuming no other issues )

I would suggest you submit a webform with information proving you've been in Canada and when you arrived in Canada.

You can refer to the gcms notes as well so it's clear why you're sending the info.

You could also try calling IRCC and your mp. In both cases, just emphasize you have been in Canada almost the entire time since applying and just wish to provide info that you are in Canada and to get the information looked at.

Good thing you requested the gcms notes, and a good example of why they can be useful (critical really) to get even if not in most cases.

Tayyab29

Star Member
Jul 27, 2017
I have done all those things. sent them a lot of related documents the I have been back. still no luck. that GCSM note is from 25th March. I have sent them Return ticket, Boarding pass, bank statement of whole year to show spending in Canada, TTC usage of whole year but no avail. do you think hiring a immigration lawyer will help?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have done all those things. sent them a lot of related documents the I have been back. still no luck. that GCSM note is from 25th March. I have sent them Return ticket, Boarding pass, bank statement of whole year to show spending in Canada, TTC usage of whole year but no avail. do you think hiring a immigration lawyer will help?
Why didn't you bother mentioning all that? Did you think it was not relevant to your query? Or just wanted to make everyone start from scratch?

And since relevant, how long ago did you provide all of this?

I would try your mp and/or an immigration lawyer, don't know what else to suggest. Good luck.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I’m afraid because of this your application was automatically considered non-routine, and thus it no longer falls under the 12 month “promise” by IRCC. My impression is that non-routine applications are incredibly frustrating. Sending this additional info to ircc hopefully pushes things towards a more routine scenario. I want to almost say get representation from an experienced lawyer that will be on top of this and can communicate with ircc quickly and “nag” them to finish this application soon. Or even withdraw and reapply.

I know these are extreme suggestions, but if say you still have not recieved SA, medical, or biometrics since last year then that would be a good reason to get representation. Anyway, what’s your timeline so far?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I know these are extreme suggestions, but if say you still have not recieved SA, medical, or biometrics since last year then that would be a good reason to get representation. Anyway, what’s your timeline so far?
An equally extreme but less expensive suggestion - which I'm not recommending but is an alternative - would be to withdraw the previous application and re-apply from scratch. Fees paid would not be lost, at least.

This is a rather extreme as basically amounts to a reboot but possible it would be preferable to some applicants. (If done, would be prudent to assume IRCC will have record of previous app and might look at physical presence carefully, i.e. careful about travel()