+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case of HIV+

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
It isn’t always a good way to get to Canada. It really depends on the province. HIV+ patients and any patient with health needs may have more difficulty getting approved especially to smaller provinces and in provinces where students qualify for provincial healthcare and aren’t required to have private insurance for international students. This is especially the case for the Maritime provinces
I am not sure about it being the best way but in my case it worked out.
I moved to BC, and I did not face any problem coming to Canada.
The province has a medical insurance and the students pay out of pocket for that. It is less than $100 per month.
I couldn't afford to pay for it after a while so I didn't pay. My treatment wasn't stopped.

Good luck to all who are applying.

Reactions: Lucky_59

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not sure about it being the best way but in my case it worked out.
I moved to BC, and I did not face any problem coming to Canada.
The province has a medical insurance and the students pay out of pocket for that. It is less than $100 per month.
I couldn't afford to pay for it after a while so I didn't pay. My treatment wasn't stopped.

Good luck to all who are applying.
It worked out in your case but you could have also been fined or a doctor could refused to see you if you didn’t pay MSP. As I already stated it is very dependent on the province. BC has one of the most developed and liberal HIV treatment policies because of the downtown east side. That is not the case in many other provinces. Access to treatment and healthcare also varies greatly between the provinces.

frank.jap

Jun 30, 2023
Hi everybody,

I´ve been reading all the messages. Could you please suggest the provinces where you have more option/ or free treatment as an international student living with hiv in Canada?. I read BC is a good option. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everybody,

I´ve been reading all the messages. Could you please suggest the provinces where you have more option/ or free treatment as an international student living with hiv in Canada?. I read BC is a good option. Thank you.
What do you mean by free? Visiting a doctor? BC is not free. You pay a monthly premium for medical care but that doesn’t include prescription drugs.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
Hi everybody,

Hi there!

Yes, BC is a good option for international students living with HIV. The province has a number of programs and services that provide free or low-cost treatment, including:
  • The BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE) offers a comprehensive range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
  • The BC Ministry of Health provides financial assistance for people living with HIV who are unable to afford treatment.
  • The BC Drug Policy Network provides information and resources about HIV treatment and prevention.
Other provinces that offer good options for international students living with HIV include:
  • Ontario: The Ontario HIV Treatment Network (OHTN) provides a range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
  • Quebec: The Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) provides free or low-cost treatment for people living with HIV.
  • Nova Scotia: The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) provides a range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
It is important to note that the availability of services and the cost of treatment can vary depending on the province. Therefore, it is important to do your research and contact the relevant provincial health authority to find out more about the specific programs and services that are available to you.
I hope this helps!

Reactions: Lucky_59

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi there!

Yes, BC is a good option for international students living with HIV. The province has a number of programs and services that provide free or low-cost treatment, including:
  • The BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE) offers a comprehensive range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
  • The BC Ministry of Health provides financial assistance for people living with HIV who are unable to afford treatment.
  • The BC Drug Policy Network provides information and resources about HIV treatment and prevention.
Other provinces that offer good options for international students living with HIV include:
  • Ontario: The Ontario HIV Treatment Network (OHTN) provides a range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
  • Quebec: The Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) provides free or low-cost treatment for people living with HIV.
  • Nova Scotia: The Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) provides a range of services, including medical care, counselling, and support groups.
It is important to note that the availability of services and the cost of treatment can vary depending on the province. Therefore, it is important to do your research and contact the relevant provincial health authority to find out more about the specific programs and services that are available to you.
I hope this helps!
None of the centres/networks you mentioned have to do with medical care and prescription drug coverage.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
None of the centres/networks you mentioned have to do with medical care and prescription drug coverage.
You are correct. The centers and networks that I mentioned do not provide medical care or prescription drug coverage. However, they can provide you with information about the programs and services that are available in your province.

Here are some other organizations that can provide you with information about medical care and prescription drug coverage for international students living with HIV in Canada:
  • Canadian AIDS Treatment Information Exchange (CATIE):CATIE is a non-profit organization that provides information and resources about HIV treatment and prevention.

• HIV/AIDS Legal Network (HALO):HALO is a non-profit organization that provides legal services to people living with HIV/AIDS.

• People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) organizations: There are PLWHA organizations in every province in Canada. These organizations can provide you with information and support.
I hope this helps!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everybody,

The only big issue is that the cost of living is also extremely high there so whether you can afford to live in BC should be your primary consideration. As an international up student you can ship your HIV medication from your home country to Canada if you would like and you can bring a 3 month supply with you on the plane. If you attend a school in Ontario you will be required to purchase health insurance for international students that that comes with a plan the cover prescriptions. You will need to look at exact details of the plan.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
The only big issue is that the cost of living is also extremely high there so whether you can afford to live in BC should be your primary consideration. As an international up student you can ship your HIV medication from your home country to Canada if you would like and you can bring a 3 month supply with you on the plane. If you attend a school in Ontario you will be required to purchase health insurance for international students that that comes with a plan the cover prescriptions. You will need to look at exact details of the plan.
You are right, the cost of living in BC is quite high. It is also important to note that the cost of living in Ontario is also high. However, the cost of living in Ontario may be more affordable than the cost of living in BC, depending on your specific circumstances.

If you are considering attending school in Ontario, you should contact the school's international student office to learn more about the health insurance requirements and the prescription drug coverage that is available.

Ultimately, the decision of where to live in Canada will depend on your individual circumstances. However, if you are considering living in BC, it is important to be aware of the cost of living and to make sure that you can afford to live there.

Reactions: canuck78

frank.jap

Jun 30, 2023
Thanks to both of you. It's a good information. At the beginning I was thinking in Quebec or Manitoba, but I'll do my research based on the information you provided and as soon as I get more information I'll post it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks to both of you. It's a good information. At the beginning I was thinking in Quebec or Manitoba, but I'll do my research based on the information you provided and as soon as I get more information I'll post it.
FYI - Most Canadians pay out of pocket for prescription medication unless they have private insurance through their employer.

Raptor33

May 10, 2020
FYI - Most Canadians pay out of pocket for prescription medication unless they have private insurance through their employer.
That is correct. While Canada has a universal healthcare system that covers medically necessary hospital and physician services, prescription drugs are not covered under this system. Instead, prescription drug coverage is provided through a patchwork of public and private insurance plans.
  • Public drug plans: Each province and territory has its own public drug plan, which covers prescription drugs for certain groups of people, such as seniors, low-income individuals, and people with disabilities. The coverage and costs of these plans vary from province to province.
  • Private drug plans: Many employers offer private drug plans to their employees. These plans typically cover a portion of the cost of prescription drugs, but the patient may still have to pay a copayment or deductible.
  • Out-of-pocket: If a person does not have private insurance or is not covered by a public drug plan, they will have to pay for their prescription drugs out of pocket. The cost of prescription drugs can vary depending on the drug, the pharmacy, and the province or territory.
According to a 2021 survey by Statistics Canada, 21% of Canadian adults reported not having any prescription insurance to cover medication costs. This means that they would have to pay out of pocket for all of their prescription drugs. The average Canadian household spends $450 a year on prescription drugs and $550 on private health plan premiums, a combined average of over $1,000.

The high cost of prescription drugs is a major concern for many Canadians. There have been calls for the government to create a universal pharmacare program that would provide coverage for all prescription drugs. However, there is no consensus on how such a program would be funded or implemented.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Healthcare is run provincially so it is important to look at each province. Many international students don’t seem to be research the cost of living in cities they are considering, the availability of housing since some small towns that are now trying to attract international students were mostly servicing the local community so there isn’t tons of student rental housing available and the ability to secure a job is the other big factor (smaller towns don’t have a ton of housing extra jobs available for all students wanting to work). Most universities have an extended health benefit plan that also includes a drug plan that you pay into as a student.

Lucky_59

Aug 20, 2023
Hi,

Myself Karthik from India. I was diagnosed with HIV+ in November 2017 and I have been on ART drug (Efavirenz, Emtricitabine & tenofovir tablet) ever since. My CD4 and Viral load reports are pretty good. Now, I have been thinking to migrate to Canada for work. I have no family member In Canada.

So my concern right now is how much does the treatment cost? And is there a chance that I can migrate with given condition of my health?

Any advice or suggestions will be dearly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Karthik Kumar

Hi Friend,
myself Rahul from India, Bangalore age 33 Male - Single. I know that this got to me at an earlier stage +ve but I know my life wont stop here.
I have been HIV positive since last 3 years and have been undetectable on VRLD-0 (untransmittable and undetectable) & CD4 count 800+ and healthy and going to GYM daily and keep myself FIT and strong.

I started the application for student visa for Canada, i got admit but for applying university.
can you suggest me the same please on paper work procedure for +ve person

please ping me in my Gmail account if you trust for your support please.

my Gmail chat box or email id : nani12rocks@gmail.com

thankyou

Lucky_59

Aug 20, 2023
Hi Friend,
myself Rahul from India, Bangalore age 33 Male - Single. I know that this got to me at an earlier stage +ve but I know my life wont stop here.
I have been HIV positive since last 3 years and have been undetectable on VRLD-0 (untransmittable and undetectable) & CD4 count 800+ and healthy and going to GYM daily and keep myself FIT and strong.

I started the application for student visa for Canada, i got admit but for applying university.
can you suggest me the same please on paper work procedure for +ve person
Kindly share your experience if you face any issue during medical checkup and study permit approval ?

my Gmail chat box or email id : nani12rocks@gmail.com

thankyou