+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case of HIV+

stan_1983

Jun 21, 2020
It would be great if you could tell us the outcome of your process. I am HIV positive and I am applying for study permit.
What all you were required to do? And did you get the result of your Visa Application?
Hello Gipp, I am also HIV+ and planning my application for Post Graduate course in Ontario @ Centennial College. Kindly share your experience if you face any issue during medical checkup and study permit approval ? I am currently residing in India

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
I told the doctor that I was HIV poz so that he would do the tests in advance without wasting much time. But they said they had to wait for the immigration department to ask for the CD4 and viral load tests. So they called me up again after a week for new tests. This also included a test called Gamma Interferon blood test for the TB testing. This turned out positive somehow, and thus they had asked for more tests (sputum test) to confirm my TB. That test takes 8-10 weeks for the results. So things were delayed. The sputum test was negative, and then they asked for another X-ray, it was clear too. So the doctor said that the things were okie and this might be the case of Inactive TB. This was informed to the immigration department.
In the SOP, I had explained to the visa officers that the medicines are covered in the insurance. My consultant did say that, if I was going to the college, your application would have been rejected, but since I was going to the university, the application worked out well and my visa was approved.
I got the visa with medical surveillance for TB. I had to contact the doctors here to do the TB tests.
So things worked out but it took more time then it would normally take.

Reactions: Lucky_59

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Gipp, I am also HIV+ and planning my application for Post Graduate course in Ontario @ Centennial College. Kindly share your experience if you face any issue during medical checkup and study permit approval ? I am currently residing in India
In Ontario international students are covered by UHIP for their medical needs. It is impossible to say whether you will be approved or not. The rules about excessive medical costs are not the same for PRs and students/work permit holders. You also need to be approved irregardless of your health situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I told the doctor that I was HIV poz so that he would do the tests in advance without wasting much time. But they said they had to wait for the immigration department to ask for the CD4 and viral load tests. So they called me up again after a week for new tests. This also included a test called Gamma Interferon blood test for the TB testing. This turned out positive somehow, and thus they had asked for more tests (sputum test) to confirm my TB. That test takes 8-10 weeks for the results. So things were delayed. The sputum test was negative, and then they asked for another X-ray, it was clear too. So the doctor said that the things were okie and this might be the case of Inactive TB. This was informed to the immigration department.
In the SOP, I had explained to the visa officers that the medicines are covered in the insurance. My consultant did say that, if I was going to the college, your application would have been rejected, but since I was going to the university, the application worked out well and my visa was approved.
I got the visa with medical surveillance for TB. I had to contact the doctors here to do the TB tests.
So things worked out but it took more time then it would normally take.
Your consultant doesn’t know what they are talking about. There is no difference between college and university admission given your health issues. There is likely differences between provinces. Some provinces cover international students via a specific international student plan where as some others us their provincial health plan. Some insurance plans likely have a requirement of how much they are willing to cover and the same can be said for the provinces.

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Your consultant doesn’t know what they are talking about. There is no difference between college and university admission given your health issues. There is likely differences between provinces. Some provinces cover international students via a specific international student plan whereas some others us their provincial health plan. Some insurance plans likely have a requirement of how much they are willing to cover and the same can be said for the provinces.
The visa officer checks what college or university you are going to.
I am sure there is a high chance of getting a visa with admission in university rather than a college. There are many colleges that do not even care about the students and give you admission without any consideration to the student. So that's why I suggested getting admission into a good university or college so that there is no chance of visa rejection, if at all.
If you are in good health, things should work out. Also, once you are here, there are many organizations that are ready to provide HIV medicines to international students irrespective of insurance coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The visa officer checks what college or university you are going to.
I am sure there is a high chance of getting a visa with admission in university rather than a college. There are many colleges that do not even care about the students and give you admission without any consideration to the student. So that's why I suggested getting admission into a good university or college so that there is no chance of visa rejection, if at all.
If you are in good health, things should work out. Also, once you are here, there are many organizations that are ready to provide HIV medicines to international students irrespective of insurance coverage.
Getting a study permit and getting past the medical are entirely different things. I am pointing out that excessive demand is only for PR. It seems like some provinces, many of them smaller, are very selective when accepting students with more expensive medical needs since there are long waits for physicians for Canadians and their budgets are lower. Even if someone is able to access free medication it comes out of the provincial health budget.

Reactions: gipps

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Getting a study permit and getting past the medical are entirely different things. I am pointing out that excessive demand is only for PR. It seems like some provinces, many of them smaller, are very selective when accepting students with more expensive medical needs since there are long waits for physicians for Canadians and their budgets are lower. Even if someone is able to access free medication it comes out of the provincial health budget.
that's absolutely correct. I guess the government is trying to be more inclusive of HIV positive people. But there is a long road ahead.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
that's absolutely correct. I guess the government is trying to be more inclusive of HIV positive people. But there is a long road ahead.
HIV+ PR applicants almost always get approved. When it comes to expensive medical treatments it depends on what province you apply to and not really whether you apply to a university or college.

Abby089

Nov 6, 2020
HIV+ People are often accepted for PR as long as their drug cost fall under the medical inadmissibility limit. The most common HIV treatment fall under the limit. As long as you don’t have other health issues HIV isn’t an issue. Healthcare is different for every province so hard to answer questions about costs. Some provinces currently provide HIV treatments for free through public health programs.
Hii do we need to fill any form like post test counselling during medicals. My brother was found to be hiv positive

Amrit_92

Oct 7, 2019
Hi there , I hope you are doing well. What’s the status of your application ? Have you got the approval for your study permit . Please let me know as I am also planning to apply study permit for myself . Thanks a ton.

Partnerlove

Jun 7, 2023
Hello those who applied for study permit its good way to go I got approval and I am in canada I completed my studies and on work permit now
I am from india and hiv patient
If anyone here hiv patient in canada please let me know
I need help for PR application
Anyone hiv patient got approve PR ?

Reactions: Lucky_59 and gipps

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
Hello those who applied for study permit its good way to go I got approval and I am in canada I completed my studies and on work permit now
Hi

My PR application got approved.
Do as requested and you wouldn't face any problem.
Good Luck and Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It isn’t always a good way to get to Canada. It really depends on the province. HIV+ patients and any patient with health needs may have more difficulty getting approved especially to smaller provinces and in provinces where students qualify for provincial healthcare and aren’t required to have private insurance for international students. This is especially the case for the Maritime provinces

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have already passed your medical before and have not had any change in your health or medications you are unlikely to face any issues passing the medical again.