+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Case of HIV+

karthik1229

May 7, 2019
Hi,

Myself Karthik from India. I was diagnosed with HIV+ in November 2017 and I have been on ART drug (Efavirenz, Emtricitabine & tenofovir tablet) ever since. My CD4 and Viral load reports are pretty good. Now, I have been thinking to migrate to Canada for work. I have no family member In Canada.

So my concern right now is how much does the treatment cost? And is there a chance that I can migrate with given condition of my health?

Any advice or suggestions will be dearly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Karthik Kumar

Reactions: Lucky_59

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
With your condition, the chances of CIC accepting your PR application are low. You can search the forums using "HIV" keyword and posts. If you apply, there is a big chance that you will get a procedural fairness letter, citing that your condition will bring huge cost on the Canadian Health Services and will ask you to explain how your condition will improve by time and that will not be a burden on the Canadian Health Services. You can search for posts with the keyword "HIV" for the exact text on procedural fairness letter that people with HIV have got.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
HIV+ People are often accepted for PR as long as their drug cost fall under the medical inadmissibility limit. The most common HIV treatment fall under the limit. As long as you don’t have other health issues HIV isn’t an issue. Healthcare is different for every province so hard to answer questions about costs. Some provinces currently provide HIV treatments for free through public health programs.

karthik1229

May 7, 2019
HIV+ People are often accepted for PR as long as their drug cost fall under the medical inadmissibility limit. The most common HIV treatment fall under the limit. As long as you don’t have other health issues HIV isn’t an issue. Healthcare is different for every province so hard to answer questions about costs. Some provinces currently provide HIV treatments for free through public health programs.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I spoke to my immigration consultancy as well. They seem to have worked on similar case and have been able to get PR approved.

I still being optimistic.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I spoke to my immigration consultancy as well. They seem to have worked on similar case and have been able to get PR approved.

You should be. If you are HIV+ and are on the most common drug therapy in Canada you should pass the medical. You may or may not get a procedural fairness letter but you should be able to prove that you fall under the cutoff if you do some research on healthcare pricing in Canada.

Reactions: DayDreamerBr

gipps

Jun 7, 2019

It would be great if you could tell us the outcome of your process. I am HIV positive and I am applying for study permit.
What all you were required to do? And did you get the result of your Visa Application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It would be great if you could tell us the outcome of your process. I am HIV positive and I am applying for study permit.
What all you were required to do? And did you get the result of your Visa Application?
Medical requirements for study permits are usually different than PR application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have any information about medical requirement for Study permit. Please let me know.
They don't follow the same 100K over 5 years. This is especially the case in provinces where international students join the provincial health plans. There aren't precise details given out. This doesn't mean you will be refused.

gipps

Jun 7, 2019
They don't follow the same 100K over 5 years. This is especially the case in provinces where international students join the provincial health plans. There aren't precise details given out. This doesn't mean you will be refused.
Oh alright!
I have applied for the province of Quebec and the University requires me to buy a Private Health Insurance. The cost of health insurance is part of the Tuition fees.

Thanks for the information.

Jakehob99

Feb 3, 2020
Hi Kartik,

I have a similar case as yours. Can you please update me with the status of your application and what documents are needed?

Thanks

Chikungu

Dec 28, 2019
Kasama
Category........
CEC
I am equally worried about bring refused entry into Canada due to my +status I would love to move for work and a fresh start though my imigration lawyer seems positive that I will be granted pr I should only worry about my improving my work experience points if anyone is willing to

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am equally worried about bring refused entry into Canada due to my +status I would love to move for work and a fresh start though my imigration lawyer seems positive that I will be granted pr I should only worry about my improving my work experience points if anyone is willing to
If you have no other health problems other than HIV than your chances of passing the medical are good as long as you are not taking a medication that is too expensive. Most qualify. Study permits are a bit different since the medical inadmissabiliity rules aren’t the same. They aren’t actually specified for students and vary by province.

Chikungu

Dec 28, 2019
Kasama
Category........
CEC
If you have no other health problems other than HIV than your chances of passing the medical are good as long as you are not taking a medication that is too expensive. Most qualify. Study permits are a bit different since the medical inadmissabiliity rules aren’t the same. They aren’t actually specified for students and vary by province.
Thank you so much it's actually encouragin knowing that am not the only one which this issue am not sure about the cost of my medication as I get it for free from the public hospital