+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carpenter for federal skilled trades

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Hi, Looking for some advice. My partner is a Swedish Carpenter and looking at applying for EE (federal skilled trades), with common law. In regards to getting his Swedish Qualification changed over what is the first step for this kind of trade? Does he need to do a qualification certificate through apprenticeship and industry training? Please help! Thanks

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, Looking for some advice. My partner is a Swedish Carpenter and looking at applying for EE (federal skilled trades), with common law. In regards to getting his Swedish Qualification changed over what is the first step for this kind of trade? Does he need to do a qualification certificate through apprenticeship and industry training? Please help! Thanks
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/skilled-trades.html

He would either need an "offer of full-time employment fr a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority."

Unless he has either of these when he creates an Express Entry profile his profile will be deemed ineligible (assuming he's the primary applicant).

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Thankyou! If his visa is up in October, but he has a job offer does this mean he doesn't need to do a certificate of qualification? Would the job offer for a year would become invalid as his visa wouldn't allow him to stay longer? Once we have an application in the pool would this allow him to stay and continue the process even though his iec visa would be up with just a job offer? Or would he need to do a certificate of qualification instead?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thankyou! If his visa is up in October, but he has a job offer does this mean he doesn't need to do a certificate of qualification? Would the job offer for a year would become invalid as his visa wouldn't allow him to stay longer? Once we have an application in the pool would this allow him to stay and continue the process even though his iec visa would be up with just a job offer? Or would he need to do a certificate of qualification instead?
Is his job offer support through an LMIA?

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Unsure yet as we are only at the early stages? If it is supported will this allow a job offer to be enough?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What it is important to understand is that there is a difference between a job offer and a valid job offer.

In order for him to have a valid job offer he would need LMIA or:

you have a valid work permit for one of the listed skilled trade occupation and it’s exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit [Closed work permit]
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for the employer(s) on your work permit who is making the offer and
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unsure yet as we are only at the early stages? If it is supported will this allow a job offer to be enough?
This is important.

He needs to have an approved LMIA from the employer for this to be classified as a job offer (LMIAs are expensive, take a long time to get, and there's no guarantee of approval). OR if there's no LMIA, he needs to have worked with that employer full time for a full year AND that employer has to provide a letter stating he is guaranteeing your partner a job for at least one year AFTER he becomes a PR.

He needs to meet one of the two above criteria or his job offer isn't a job offer for immigration purposes.

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Ok, thats very helpful and a lot easier to understand THANKYOU! If then he doesn't get a LMIA, and has no job offer at all but he manages to get a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority am i right in thinking, as long as he scores enough points he has a chance of being invited for PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, thats very helpful and a lot easier to understand THANKYOU! If then he doesn't get a LMIA, and has no job offer at all but he manages to get a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority am i right in thinking, as long as he scores enough points he has a chance of being invited for PR?
Yes - that's right.

Dukes

Jan 31, 2018
Great, and lastly (you have been so helpful already) do you know where I can find upto date information on crs scores being invited under this category?

Thankyou!

Abdelilah9864

Sep 20, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/skilled-trades.html

He would either need an "offer of full-time employment fr a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority."

Unless he has either of these when he creates an Express Entry profile his profile will be deemed ineligible (assuming he's the primary applicant).
Plz i do have a certificate of qualification in trade 9243 and have 10 years od experience in morocco but when i did create my profile it doesnt meeg the FSTP eventhough i satisfy the requirements