+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

caregiver program: caring for people with high medical needs.

gillsukhu

Mar 11, 2016
Hello, My name is Gill

I came as international student in Toronto in 2011 September, finished two year nursing diploma (LPN) in Aug 2013. Got my post graduate work permit after two months in October 2013 . I am currently working on a work permit in nursing home from last 2 years. I have 7 month of work permit left.

My express entry profile has close to 430 points (IELTS=8 bands)

I dont think express entry draw will ever come down to 430 points. Only option i see is caregiver stream.

I am eligible in every way for caring for people with high medical needs stream, only question i have is

1) can an international student with Post graduate open work permit apply for it ???
2) do i need to have LMIA from the specific employer i am working for ???

(EXTRA: I am also a licensed insurance and investment broker from 1 year 4 months. I am self employed with revenue of 100k last year and i have 5 license agents under me. )

Answers will be appreciated. Also please suggest if i have any other option left.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only apply for PR under the caregiver stream after obtaining 2 years of full-time work experience on a caregiver work permit. So the experience you have gained under your PGWP cannot be counted towards that 2 years. If you wanted to obtain PR using the caregiver route, you would have to obtain a caregiver work permit (i.e. find an employer willing to offer you a full time job and able to obtain an approved LMIA) and work for an additional two years on that work permit before applying.

Also - working in a nursing home doesn't qualify. You would have to be working for a private person / family in their home.

Note that processing times for caregiver PR applications are around 4 years (i.e. very long).

gillsukhu

Mar 11, 2016
I appreciate your reply.

I just confirmed with CIC call centre, they were under the impression that i will need work permit for the specific employer i work with. It did not make sense to me that people with restricted Work permit can get PR but a person who study here and get OPEN work permit cannot get PR. i asked couple of more questions then the lady re-checked with their resource manager - said that there is nothing written about Work permits under this caregiver stream on cic website. so open work permit people can apply.

CIC website says 1 month processing time because only 2750 are eligible to get PR. there wont be a back log. 4 years is unrealistic- no one get that long Work permit which says work for 2 years then stay on work permit another 4 yrs to wait for PR. doesnt make sense.

Thanks anyways for reply. I had to post this msg so that other people learn.

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
gillsukhu said:
I appreciate your reply.

I just confirmed with CIC call centre, they were under the impression that i will need work permit for the specific employer i work with. It did not make sense to me that people with restricted Work permit can get PR but a person who study here and get OPEN work permit cannot get PR. i asked couple of more questions then the lady re-checked with their resource manager - said that there is nothing written about Work permits under this caregiver stream on cic website. so open work permit people can apply.

CIC website says 1 month processing time because only 2750 are eligible to get PR. there wont be a back log. 4 years is unrealistic- no one get that long Work permit which says work for 2 years then stay on work permit another 4 yrs to wait for PR. doesnt make sense.

My friend, the person replied your message earlier is absolutely wrong. He or she did not check the IRCC at all and has no ideas about the brand new caregiver program.

I am a registered practical nurse graduated from a nursing school in Toronto and currently working in a local hospital as a palliative care nurse. I am holding a post graduate open work permit (the same as you).

According to the Ministerial Instruction MI14, to be eligible for Caring for People with High Medical Needs, you have to hold an open work permit. Remember, PGWP is definitely an open work permit with LMIA exemption, as simple as it. Also, when you check the Document Checklist, you will only find it asks you to provide a most recent work permit. It is not specifying what type of open work permit it is; also it does not say anything about LMIA (this is understandable; if you have an open work permit, you must have obtained an approved LMIA before the work permit application, or you are simply exempted for LMIA) .

As for working in a health care facility, the answer is YES! You are allowed to work in client's home, nursing home, hospital, or even a clinic. This is also mentioned in the ministerial instruction MI14 issued on November, 2014 and can also be found on CIC website.

Any questions?

s_pisces

Dec 30, 2009
Hi Gill,

Did you end up applying under the medical needs pathway category? If yes, did you receive a decision yet. I am looking to apply under the same and was wondering if you can give me an insight into the process

gillsukhu said:
I appreciate your reply.

gillsukhu

Mar 11, 2016
I am gonna apply under caregiver program by end of MAY, thats when my two years completed.

I know a lady who got the decision made message from CIC in 3 weeks, she was in my shoes a while ago.

I dont need LMIA as i already got a Work permit which is open- no restrictions.

I can work for any employer in nursing home, hospital or home.

Lets see. I will update as soon as i get something. Find me on facebook. Name is Sukhpreet Gill... facebook.com/gill.sukhp
:p :p :p :p

s_pisces

Dec 30, 2009
Hi Sukhpreet,

Did you end up sending your application for medical needs pathway yet? If yes, have you heard anything back yet? Also, do you know what the current timeline is like for the acknowledgment of receipt?

gillsukhu said:
I am gonna apply under caregiver program by end of MAY, thats when my two years completed.

I know a lady who got the decision made message from CIC in 3 weeks, she was in my shoes a while ago.

Lets see. I will update as soon as i get something. Find me on facebook. Name is Sukhpreet Gill... facebook.com/gill.sukhp

ps_2016

Jun 6, 2016
Hi Sukhpreet
i was international student too and worked as a PSW with agency on my PSWP. But i am not sure if i am eligible to apply under this stream as my consultant said you need LMIA but he seems like did not know much about this new pathway. If you can able to give me details how can i apply it would me great. I appreciate your help. Thanks

gillsukhu said:

gillsukhu

Mar 11, 2016
OKy guys. i am back.

As I finished my two years in Nursing on May 6th, I finally quit my job on May 7th. ;D I have received the employment letter today. I am very excited to apply my application next week.

All i am bit confused about is- My HOURS. I was getting paid bi-weekly, hours were fluctuating. But i did finish the required hours, if i calculate avg hours , its bit above 30hrs/wk.

For some reason i am not able to find out he exact processing time now. Used to be around 4-5 weeks few months back. Another question is should I also attach Tax slip from my business where i made almost same money as nursing side by side. Assuming it will make my case strong.

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
ps_2016 said:
Hi Sukhpreet
i was international student too and worked as a PSW with agency on my PSWP. But i am not sure if i am eligible to apply under this stream as my consultant said you need LMIA but he seems like did not know much about this new pathway. If you can able to give me details how can i apply it would me great. I appreciate your help. Thanks

gillsukhu said:

No worries my friend. You do never have to apply for LMIA in order to get your PR under the Caregiver Pathways.

The answer from CIC is YES. Based on the current rules and regulations regarding the Caregiver Pathways, there is no special requirement for your work permit. That is to say, if you have a valid work permit that allows you to LEGALLY work in Canada, you are good to go.

I am an LPN working under the PGWP. Our PGWP makes us exempted from the stupid LMIA. We are authorized to work for ANYONE. It is definitely a valid work permit. So, NO WORRIES!

s_pisces

Dec 30, 2009
Hey,

So i ended up applying for the medical needs pathway category as RN and got the letter today that my application has been processed and that i will be contacted for an interview! Yay!
Here's my timeline for those of you that are wondering:

May 27, 2016: Application couriered
May 30,2016: Application received by CIC office as per FedEx tracking
June 7, 2016 (morning): Email saying my application was received
June 7,2016 (evening): Letter saying my application was complete
June 15, 2016: Letter stating that procession of my application is complete and they will contact for interview.

I guess I will just be waiting for the interview call for now. So my processing time was about 2.5 weeks!

gillsukhu said:
OKy guys. i am back.

As I finished my two years in Nursing on May 6th, I finally quit my job on May 7th. ;D I have received the employment letter today. I am very excited to apply my application next week.

All i am bit confused about is- My HOURS. I was getting paid bi-weekly, hours were fluctuating. But i did finish the required hours, if i calculate avg hours , its bit above 30hrs/wk.

For some reason i am not able to find out he exact processing time now. Used to be around 4-5 weeks few months back. Another question is should I also attach Tax slip from my business where i made almost same money as nursing side by side. Assuming it will make my case strong.

s_pisces

Dec 30, 2009
Hey!

I believe as a PSW you are eligible to apply under NOC 3413. No, you do not need LMIA.
I applied under RN license and my application was just processed and I currently hold PGWP and my job is NOT LMIA.

ps_2016 said:
Hi Sukhpreet

gillsukhu said:

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
Hey did anyone submit the pay stubs?

My employer made a lot of pay stubs with wrong information. There is no way to make a change. So I am planning to submit the T4 and NOA only.

Is it acceptable?

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
s_pisces said:
Hey!

I believe as a PSW you are eligible to apply under NOC 3413. No, you do not need LMIA.
I applied under RN license and my application was just processed and I currently hold PGWP and my job is NOT LMIA.
Hey my friend, did you submit your pay stubs?

My employer sucks! My employer got different payroll processors to cope with pay slips and those stupid assholes put different, misleading and even totally wrong information on my pay stubs. Sorry for the bad word, but I am very angry for their irresponsible and unprofessional performance. The worst thing is that there is noway to modify those stupid pay slips.

If the visa officer sees my pay slips, he will definitely reject my application because those pay stubs do not make sense and the officer will get no information from them.

So I am planning to submit T4 and NOA only. Is it acceptable?

s_pisces

Dec 30, 2009
I submitted T4 for one of my jobs and pay stubs for the other. T4 should be fine I think.
Frederickkk said:
Hey my friend, did you submit your pay stubs?

My employer sucks! My employer got different payroll processors to cope with pay slips and those stupid assholes put different, misleading and even totally wrong information on my pay stubs. Sorry for the bad word, but I am very angry for their irresponsible and unprofessional performance. The worst thing is that there is noway to modify those stupid pay slips.

If the visa officer sees my pay slips, he will definitely reject my application because those pay stubs do not make sense and the officer will get no information from them.

So I am planning to submit T4 and NOA only. Is it acceptable?