+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car registration - odometer check question (it's not the typical question)

Oct 24, 2016
Hey all,

I am coming to Canada for school in January. I plan on bringing my 2002 Toyota Corolla with me and then most likely junking it (it is really not worth that much and needs several repairs). Here is the backstory. I moved from the state of Georgia to the state of Virginia in 2010 and registered my car in Virginia. Two years later I discovered that Virginia accidentally added 100000 extra miles to the odometer when I go it registered. Unfortunately, by that time it was too late to fix the problem. When I get to Canada there will still be 40000 miles to make up on the odometer.

I have several questions. Will there be an odometer check at the border and could it cause me trouble? Do I need to get the car inspected post entry since I am on a study permit? If I need to get it inspected, will the odometer issue cause a problem?

Oct 24, 2016
That is one option. I actually don't need a car where I am going (UBC). Thing is, it would cost more, to fly to Vancouver and ship my few belongings than it would be to drive cross country (I get 30+mpg/48+kpg on the highway) and take my few belongings with me.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Drive it across for the weekend and get set up, drive back and drop it at an auto wrecker in the states and take a cab or bus back. Inspection, duty, registration and insurance will cost you.....

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
FutureLibrarian said:
Hey all,

I am coming to Canada for school in January. I plan on bringing my 2002 Toyota Corolla with me and then most likely junking it (it is really not worth that much and needs several repairs). Here is the backstory. I moved from the state of Georgia to the state of Virginia in 2010 and registered my car in Virginia. Two years later I discovered that Virginia accidentally added 100000 extra miles to the odometer when I go it registered. Unfortunately, by that time it was too late to fix the problem. When I get to Canada there will still be 40000 miles to make up on the odometer.

I have several questions. Will there be an odometer check at the border and could it cause me trouble? Do I need to get the car inspected post entry since I am on a study permit? If I need to get it inspected, will the odometer issue cause a problem?
i have never once had an odometer check when driving through the border and i've crossed many times in the past 6 years. there is nothing to worry about there. if anything, CBSA will only ask who owns the car. they could care less about the odometer. they care about if it's stolen or concealing contraband.

if you're not importing the car, there is no inspection for your car. what you want to worry about is what your US insurance company will do when they find out the car is in Canada long term. usually they drop insurance if it's there for 6+ months. they might have special exceptions for students, so you will want to call them if you plan to use your car in Canada. Otherwise, you'd have to go through the whole temporary import process, which is not worth it if you are planning to junk the car anyway.

Oct 24, 2016
CDNPR2014 said:
i have never once had an odometer check when driving through the border and i've crossed many times in the past 6 years. there is nothing to worry about there. if anything, CBSA will only ask who owns the car. they could care less about the odometer. they care about if it's stolen or concealing contraband.

if you're not importing the car, there is no inspection for your car. what you want to worry about is what your US insurance company will do when they find out the car is in Canada long term. usually they drop insurance if it's there for 6+ months. they might have special exceptions for students, so you will want to call them if you plan to use your car in Canada. Otherwise, you'd have to go through the whole temporary import process, which is not worth it if you are planning to junk the car anyway.
Thank you CDNPR. What does the temporary import process look like? I might not junk the car.