+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car purchase question

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I plan to soft land in April for a week and then come back to US. Finally, I am thinking of moving over sometime in the fall or same time next year.

The car I have is a bit too old and has been giving troubles and now I have a transmission work to be done and I don't think it's worth it as the car's value is about 3k too.

I have been holding on purchase of a new car until I move to Canada for good - considering easier maintenance work and no issues of km-miles. Also a car from us would sell at a much lower price than a Canadian car. Price wise also the Canada seems to be more attractive for the same model.

Is there a way I could purchase a car in Canada during my one week trip and temporary import the car to USA until I am done.

My state requires car to be registered in the state within 30 days- any ideas or suggestions?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I plan to soft land in April for a week and then come back to US. Finally, I am thinking of moving over sometime in the fall or same time next year.

The car I have is a bit too old and has been giving troubles and now I have a transmission work to be done and I don't think it's worth it as the car's value is about 3k too.

I have been holding on purchase of a new car until I move to Canada for good - considering easier maintenance work and no issues of km-miles. Also a car from us would sell at a much lower price than a Canadian car. Price wise also the Canada seems to be more attractive for the same model.

Is there a way I could purchase a car in Canada during my one week trip and temporary import the car to USA until I am done.

My state requires car to be registered in the state within 30 days- any ideas or suggestions?
If you are going to purchase it in Apr then why you cant do it in Fall? Also where will you keep the car?
Also i am not sure if you can buy it without having any insurance. You need to first see whether any company offers you insurance based on US driving license. Also i doubt that state would allow you to register the car without insurance/local driving license - i dont know but better call the respective dmv and decide if you can complete the whole process.

If you buy in Apr this year and if you decide to move next year then its waste of money.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
Cars are actually cheaper in the US than in Canada. As a settler, you will not need to pay duty on the car.
When comparing prices, I find the price to be either same or bit cheaper up North even with the tax included. Idk if the conversion rate is playing a role here.