+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car issue

torri

Dec 20, 2005
Ukraine
Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to do the following. My friends in the USA propose me to use their car in Canada as long as I need to. If I take it, should I do any legal actions with it in Canada? For example, to register it temporary? Or I just drive it and the only thing I have to take care of is to get the insurance?
AM I right that to buy the car in Canada costs more than in the USA? But what if to buy the car in the USA and bring it to Canada? How much is the custom tax for it? Is it worth doing it?
I will appreciate if anyone can make it clear to me.
Victoria

PS We landed through Buffalo on Oct 22, went back to the USA right away and got our PR cards on November 23. They were sent to my friend's address and she mailed it to me. Everything went well.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

torri said:
Hello,
I wonder if it is possible to do the following. My friends in the USA propose me to use their car in Canada as long as I need to. If I take it, should I do any legal actions with it in Canada? For example, to register it temporary? Or I just drive it and the only thing I have to take care of is to get the insurance?
AM I right that to buy the car in Canada costs more than in the USA? But what if to buy the car in the USA and bring it to Canada? How much is the custom tax for it? Is it worth doing it?
I will appreciate if anyone can make it clear to me.
Victoria

PS We landed through Buffalo on Oct 22, went back to the USA right away and got our PR cards on November 23. They were sent to my friend's address and she mailed it to me. Everything went well.
1. As a PR you can't drive a US plated car in Canada. You take the chance that Customs will seize it, especially if you don't own it.
2. If you buy the car you have to make sure it will be admissible, see: www.riv.ca If admissible you have pay for the inspection and have the necessary changes made for the Canadian regulations. You also have to export it from the US. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/td/index.aspx?lang=e
3. Since you didn't own prior to emigrating, it is not considered Settler's effects and you will have to pay Duty and taxes. http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-05e.pdf

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
PMM,

Can you explain further point#1. Do you mean as a PR it is illegal to "drive" a US plated car in Canada or is illegal to "own" a U.S. plated car? Are you telling me that if my dad wants to loan me his U.S. plated pick-up truck for a few weeks to help with moving, I can't drive it in Canada?

Thanks

gyucel23

Dec 30, 2004
I disaggree with PMM but I am not an expert.
To my knowledge, you can not drive your car in Canada if it has US plates. You must import your car to Canada (and export it from the US). To import your car;
- At the border when you first land in as an immigrant, you fill out a vehicle import form, and pay appr. $200. Then they will mail you some documentation within 2-3 weeks. Once you receive that, you take it to a car service such as Canadian Tire and get the vehicle inspected. If you dont have the day time running lights, they will fix that too. The day time running lights, safety inspection, and emissions test cost $200-$300. Once this is done, you need to get insurance. Insurance costs much more here in Canada than it costs in US. Expect it to be around $2,000 or more per year. Once you get the insurance, safety inspection, and the emissions test, you can then take these and the title to a drivers center, and get your plates. This will cost you less than $100. Before all these, if you have a US drivers license, you can go to a drivers center to get a CAnadian license. It is called a swap, they take your US license and give you a Canadian one. If you are from one of the few US states like Illinois, then you need to get a driving record from US so that they can see your driving experience.
All of the above applies if you want to drive your US car in Canada.

Now in case you are driving a rental car, or someone else's car, then of course you dont have to import it. But make sure the car has insurance valid in Canada. Of course this is my experience and knowledge and I am not an expert.

To summarize if you want to import your car:
1) It will cost you around $500 including everything. No custom tax if you owned it before landing in Canada, make sure you have the title.
2) insurance is expensive in Canada. Liability insurance costs a lot, comprehensive doesnt add much.
3) Make sure you have a US drivers license, and get a driving record. The more experience you have you ll pay less for insurance. Depending on the state you may not need a driving record.
4) Get claim - free reports from your insurance companies.

gyucel23

Dec 30, 2004
One thing I forgot:
You need to get "recall clearance letter" from your car manufacturer. You can call them directly, or some of them offer this online.