+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Car Import Experience (Work Permit-->PR)

applicant_2016

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hello All,

I just wanted to share my recent car export/import experience from US to Canada last week. I know there are several posts on the same topic but I just wanted to share my experience especially for the famous 72-hour rule.

I moved to Canada from US in Sept 2017 on a work permit and had 2 cars with US registration. On a WP, I wasn't required to import the cars if I am coming to Canada for less than 36 months. Last month, we landed as PR and I thought of importing both of my cars to Canada now. Reading all the posts here, I was very worried about the 72 hour rule that the vehicle can't leave US until its exported but since I didn't have a choice (the cars were already in Canada) and it was impossible for me to go and leave them in US for 72 hours so I decided on taking a leap of faith. I called the border (Alexandria Bay in my case) and they sent me the email with all the details. The email had a flyer mentioning the 72 hour rule but nowhere it explicitly mentioned that the vehicle has to be physically in the US. Therefore, I notified the border 72 hours in advance with the ITN, title, letter from bank authorizing the export. (Note - The vehicle was in Canada only). Then after getting my B1/B2 visa, I drove to the US side (worried about the car not being in US physically) to export my vehicle. At the border, I told the officials that I am here to do some shopping and then on my way back, I am exporting my car. They let me through and on my way back I exported the car without any questions being asked as to where I am coming from and where the vehicle has been. They did ask me as to why I am moving and stuff but nothing about the car being in US or not. I kept my fingers crossed, the agent stamped my paperwork and wished me luck for my life in extremely cold Canada.

And this is just 1 car I have exported. Later (yesterday), since I have got some confidence now - I called the Ogdensburg border as that too is nearby to me and I am thinking of importing my next car from there. I honestly told the officer about the situation that I came here on WP and now I have to import the vehicle. He said 'just notify us 72 hours before, drive to the border and tell them why you're there, process the export and go". No mentioning of the word that the vehicle has to be physically in the US for 72 hours or anything.

Therefore, I just wanted to let others know who might be in a similar situation like me (now or in future) about the 72 hour thing. Please let me know if you have any specific questions about the process.

All the best !!