+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

car: export from US / import into Canada

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
You do not need do permanently export the car from US for up to 3 years on work permit. It’s stated clearly on RIV website. If you cross 3 years then you need to permanently import to Canada and export from USA( you would need US tourist visa )
https://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx
  1. Temporary Importation
  2. The vehicles are entering temporarily with:
    • visitors, for a period of 12 months or less; temporary residents such as students studying at an institution for their studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work permits for a period of 36 months or less;
U.S. export requirements
U.S. Census and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification a minimum of 72 hours notice prior to export of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States.

The following do not require export notification: all trailers, visitors’ vehicles, and temporary exports
Thanks for your reply. It seems you assumed that its work permit when answering... It is not work permit.. It is PR..
So you are saying vehicle can driven on US number plate upto 12 months if a visitor here?
If yes, Can you take a Canadian license and still drive US number plated car?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for your reply. It seems you assumed that its work permit when answering... It is not work permit.. It is PR..
So you are saying vehicle can driven on US number plate upto 12 months if a visitor here?
If yes, Can you take a Canadian license and still drive US number plated car?
Oh yeah , if it's PR then you it's no longer a temporary import , you need to permanently import the car in Canada , register it here and get Canadian plates.
If someome has a tourist status in Canada and temporarily imported the car from US , then yes for upto 12 months on a valid US registration ( with US plates ) you could drive on a Canadian license or you drive on IDP.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
You can do permanent import, i hope you declared during your entry that you are bringing your car in? Thats when they give you forms for Safety inspection RIV and registration. If not then go to RIV site for the process.

You dont need to do an export from US, as in its not mandatory so you are good.
You need to export for sure from US if you want to permanently import your car in Canada , if you drove back to US later it will be tagged as failure to export and the car can get impounded.
In order to do a permanent import and export from US is required from what I know.
I know people who have gone on the US side and did the export.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
I think you misunderstood my comment, exporting from US is not a condition for importing in Canada i.e. Canada will allow the car to be imported irrespective of whether it was officially exported or not. I know a couple of folks who have been able to import without exporting, they didn't even know they need to export. I believe I have seen similar cases on this forum as well.
Yes the person who asked the question above can permanently import the car in-land ( best to check with US CBP first before importing permanently ) without exporting if CBSA allows for now but at some point he needs to. I have imported my car into Canada as well on temporary basis ( on temporary work permit) and as per law for this you don't need to export the car. When you say Import ( there are two types - temporary which doesn't need US export and one is permanent import which needs a US export and there's clear distinction between the two even on the import form 1 ) . When I arrived at the border , border officers were not letting me go and asked me to go get the car exported from US and then only they will hand me over the Import Form 1. Glad I knew the laws and based on my temporary work permit of less than 36 months I was able to show them the conditions for temporary import which doesn't require a permanent US export.

Now coming to the point , some people may have been able to do a permanent import into Canada without exporting from US ( I am not sure how, may be temporary at border and then permanent inland ) but to set this straight you can look at this website which states the law .
Only things that do not require an export from US are as stated on RIV ( The following do not require export notification: all trailers, visitors’ vehicles, and temporary exports) and rest everything requires export notification as per law and if someone has not exported the car before permanently importing it it's a violation as per US export requirements which can lead to trouble and I am sure of it if that person wants to travel back to the states later. Remember it's exporter's responsibility to know the laws and ensure proper process was followed as Canadians in-land might not enforce US export policy.

I think it's best to call US CBP and ask them how do you actually export the car from US if you're already in Canada and may have already registered it. I think I have read some thread of someone who was able to do that at the US border with Canadian registration at hand and copies of his old title ( he went there on US tourist visa ).

http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx states the requirements clearly.

Also note the RIV exemptions - http://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx and clearly it doesn't Include anything of permanent nature so he is not exempt for export.

Last edited:

Dev.T

Aug 22, 2020
You do not need do permanently export the car from US for up to 3 years on work permit. It’s stated clearly on RIV website. If you cross 3 years then you need to permanently import to Canada and export from USA( you would need US tourist visa )
https://www.riv.ca/RIVExemptions.aspx
  1. Temporary Importation
  2. The vehicles are entering temporarily with:
    • visitors, for a period of 12 months or less; temporary residents such as students studying at an institution for their studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work permits for a period of 36 months or less;
U.S. export requirements
U.S. Census and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification a minimum of 72 hours notice prior to export of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States.

The following do not require export notification: all trailers, visitors’ vehicles, and temporary exports
I have a similar situation and was looking for details on how to go about registering the car in Quebec. I am on a work permit and have the Form-1 filled with the $0 import at the CBP but since my US registration is going to be expire soon, i will need to get the car registered in Quebec. Can you please outline the steps on where to get the vehicle inspected and the documents which are needed at the SAAQ ?

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
I have a similar situation and was looking for details on how to go about registering the car in Quebec. I am on a work permit and have the Form-1 filled with the $0 import at the CBP but since my US registration is going to be expire soon, i will need to get the car registered in Quebec. Can you please outline the steps on where to get the vehicle inspected and the documents which are needed at the SAAQ ?
I am actually in Montreal as well and was in your situation as I have mentioned above.

Well here are the steps -
1. I found a location near me that does SAAQ mechanical inspection ( Longueuil Mazda). For this you need to make an appointment with them and carry all your documents like US license , car title , US registration and your Import Form 1. Once done they will give you a report . Everything was ok with my car and I didn't had to do any repairs and it might be different for others depending on how old the car is etc or in case of any issues . I was charged around 90-95$ for the inspection.
2. You have to call SAAQ to inform about your situation and request for an appointment for US license exchange and registration all on the same day. I suggest you first make the appointment for Inspection and as soon as you know the date for inspection appointment, call SAAQ for appointment after that date. I called SAAQ montreal helpline was given an appointment for SAAQ Henri-bourassa as looks like US DL exchange can only happen here for folks in Montreal.
3. On appointment day , take your car documents (Original US car title , US registration , import form 1 ( both copies 2 color formats), SAAQ mechanical inspection report ) , US licenses( current and expired ones too if you have them ), 5 year US driver history abstract from your US state/s( you can request online or via mail from US and this is very much needed otherwise they will not add your US experience and your insurance price will go through the roof and you'll not get G type license) , but if you don't have time show them your US licenses and ask them to pull your records. I am sure documents can be generated online from US dmvs websites so you can try to generate them if you don't have it.
4. Take a slot for DL exchange and registration.
They will check all your documents and issue you a temporary paper license there and original Quebec license you will get in mail. They will also take away your current US license. Ensure you take photocopies/scans of your current US license for your record keeping as you won't get your hands ever on the US license that they will take away. This is going to help if and when you want to head back to US.
5. Go to queue again for registration and they will check all your documents for the car that I mentioned above ( they will take 1 copy of import form 1 ) and they will take away only your US car title and issue you a Quebec registration and Quebec license plate. Ensure you keep scans/photocopies of your US car title and keep your current US registration safe and sound even if it gets expired. For both step 4/5 they will charge you money and i don't recall but in total i paid around 300$+ or something.
2 to 3 days before this appointment you sign up for Insurance policy and I used AllState Canada as they consider US experience as well and I am paying 85$ a month for 2016 Jeep Cherokee with all max out settings and also cancel your US car insurance. For insurance from US companies you used get your no claim or claim history and give it to your canada insurance company and that helps with discount as well.

One additional thing, check your US state law to ensure if they need your US plates back to csncel your state registration and cancel your plates as if they need it back and you don't send them back you'll be fined. If you have EZPass from US - update your license plate number there as well

Hope this helps . Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dev.T

Dev.T

Aug 22, 2020
I am actually in Montreal as well and was in your situation as I have mentioned above.

Well here are the steps -
1. I found a location near me that does SAAQ mechanical inspection ( Longueuil Mazda). For this you need to make an appointment with them and carry all your documents like US license , car title , US registration and your Import Form 1. Once done they will give you a report . Everything was ok with my car and I didn't had to do any repairs and it might be different for others depending on how old the car is etc or in case of any issues . I was charged around 90-95$ for the inspection.
2. You have to call SAAQ to inform about your situation and request for an appointment for US license exchange and registration all on the same day. I suggest you first make the appointment for Inspection and as soon as you know the date for inspection appointment, call SAAQ for appointment after that date. I called SAAQ montreal helpline was given an appointment for SAAQ Henri-bourassa as looks like US DL exchange can only happen here for folks in Montreal.
3. On appointment day , take your car documents (Original US car title , US registration , import form 1 ( both copies 2 color formats), SAAQ mechanical inspection report ) , US licenses( current and expired ones too if you have them ), 5 year US driver history abstract from your US state/s( you can request online or via mail from US and this is very much needed otherwise they will not add your US experience and your insurance price will go through the roof and you'll not get G type license) , but if you don't have time show them your US licenses and ask them to pull your records. I am sure documents can be generated online from US dmvs websites so you can try to generate them if you don't have it.
4. Take a slot for DL exchange and registration.
They will check all your documents and issue you a temporary paper license there and original Quebec license you will get in mail. They will also take away your current US license. Ensure you take photocopies/scans of your current US license for your record keeping as you won't get your hands ever on the US license that they will take away. This is going to help if and when you want to head back to US.
5. Go to queue again for registration and they will check all your documents for the car that I mentioned above ( they will take 1 copy of import form 1 ) and they will take away only your US car title and issue you a Quebec registration and Quebec license plate. Ensure you keep scans/photocopies of your US car title and keep your current US registration safe and sound even if it gets expired. For both step 4/5 they will charge you money and i don't recall but in total i paid around 300$+ or something.
2 to 3 days before this appointment you sign up for Insurance policy and I used AllState Canada as they consider US experience as well and I am paying 85$ a month for 2016 Jeep Cherokee with all max out settings and also cancel your US car insurance. For insurance from US companies you used get your no claim or claim history and give it to your canada insurance company and that helps with discount as well.

One additional thing, check your US state law to ensure if they need your US plates back to cancel your state registration and cancel your plates as if they need it back and you don't send them back you'll be fined. If you have EZPass from US - update your license plate number there as well

Hope this helps . Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for taking time and providing detailed steps and instructions to my query. Appreciate your candid response, your thoroughness and providing important details of the vehicle inspection locations, SAAQ appointments ,returning the license plates etc.. Really helpful for fellow people like me.

Reactions: raghavgrover

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Thanks for taking time and providing detailed steps and instructions to my query. Appreciate your candid response, your thoroughness and providing important details of the vehicle inspection locations, SAAQ appointments ,returning the license plates etc.. Really helpful for fellow people like me.
My pleasure. I forgot to mention one additional thing -
If you plan to get back to US ( ensure you keep your US car papers safe like import form 1(2nd copy) , US car sale document , US expired registration , scan of the US title and all car service copies , copies/work order to any modifications you do to the car) as all of this will come in handy later.
If you're here for good then it's going to be a different process anyways for in-land permanent import which I haven't fully explored. When the time comes to decide on that I will post here on what I find.

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ CAREFULLY***

• I moved from US to Canada in 2018 on WP and had temporarily imported my car(no duties and no export from USA)
  • Got my PR in 2021
  • Wanted to sell my car but temporary Imported cars can not be sold
  • This week I went to the customs office (same one where I had done the temporary import) and explained my situation and gave them following documents
    • Original Form 1
    • Car registration document (Canadian)
    • Copy of PR card
  • The office understood and told me he would issue a new Form 1 and remove all holds on my car
  • He gave me a new Form 1 and also a Receipt which shows the value of the car and any taxes or fee and that this car can be sold in Canada
    • I paid zero fees :) Not for the process and not for the car to be permanently imported.
I hope this helps others as I was really on a fix on what to do with this car which I was now stuck with and all it took was a simple visit and 15 minutes. All the best.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
*** IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ CAREFULLY***

• I moved from US to Canada in 2018 on WP and had temporarily imported my car(no duties and no export from USA)
  • Got my PR in 2021
  • Wanted to sell my car but temporary Imported cars can not be sold
  • This week I went to the customs office (same one where I had done the temporary import) and explained my situation and gave them following documents
    • Original Form 1
    • Car registration document (Canadian)
    • Copy of PR card
  • The office understood and told me he would issue a new Form 1 and remove all holds on my car
  • He gave me a new Form 1 and also a Receipt which shows the value of the car and any taxes or fee and that this car can be sold in Canada
    • I paid zero fees :) Not for the process and not for the car to be permanently imported.
I hope this helps others as I was really on a fix on what to do with this car which I was now stuck with and all it took was a simple visit and 15 minutes. All the best.
So no duties/fee in RIV website? I heard for permanent import one has to register and pay to RIV as well?
I may be in this situation as well but I cannot go the same customs office as I am in a different city now

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
So no duties/fee in RIV website? I heard for permanent import one has to register and pay to RIV as well?
I may be in this situation as well but I cannot go the same customs office as I am in a different city now
Yes, I was surprised as well, I don't know if that's because of the age of the car(its a 2011) or some undocumented rule where a car is bought genuinely under temporary condition and then the situation becomes permanent.

I don't think you need to go to same office, it just should be a customs office which can issue a new Form 1.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Yes, I was surprised as well, I don't know if that's because of the age of the car(its a 2011) or some undocumented rule where a car is bought genuinely under temporary condition and then the situation becomes permanent.

I don't think you need to go to same office, it just should be a customs office which can issue a new Form 1.
I had entered from Montreal, but now I am in Calgary so will try to visit inland customs office.
Although I remember the temporary import is only good for 3 years on work permit if I recall and I also have submitted my application for PR this month and this will go beyond my 3 years of work permit which is in Feb 23. Did you do this after PR and had crossed 3 years on work permit or under 3 years with PR?

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
I had entered from Montreal, but now I am in Calgary so will try to visit inland customs office.
Although I remember the temporary import is only good for 3 years on work permit if I recall and I also have submitted my application for PR this month and this will go beyond my 3 years of work permit which is in Feb 23. Did you do this after PR and had crossed 3 years on work permit or under 3 years with PR?
Do after PR LoL, basically your vehicle has same validity as whatever your status is, if you are temporary the vehicle is temporary, if your WP is extended the vehicle's validity is also extended. Dont go without a change in your status.

Btw I read the Receipt that he gave me on addition to the Form 1 and it states "Grand Total Not Collected Due to LVP Regulation" not sure what that means but seems like this is why no taxes or charges.

raghavgrover

Star Member
Jul 26, 2019
Ok, CBSA website says this , says except for US and Mexico. May be USMCA from Mr. Trump helped - LOl
I am surprised that they did not ask to register in RIV program.
I guess I will find out next year and will share an update here. Thanks for sharing your update.
Frankly I think CBSA processes things based on their discretion as their website says they consider one as temporary resident whose employment doesn’t exceed 36 months - lol

Customs Tariff, Taxes and Duties
46. Vehicles eligible for importation into Canada will be assessed for duty, excise tax and the goods and services tax. The CBSA will assess duty on a vehicle manufactured in a country other than the US and Mexico.
47. If a vehicle is imported into Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario or British Columbia the importer must pay the goods and services tax, as well as the provincial part of the harmonized sales tax when they license their vehicle. For other provinces, sales tax may be applied when they license their vehic le.
Green Levy and Air Conditioning Tax
48. Imported vehicles that have an air conditioning unit are subjected to a CAN $100 excise tax. Importers will have to pay additional excise taxes (Green Levy) only if the vehicle has a weighted average fuel consumption rating of 13 or more litres per 100 kilometers and is put into service after March 19, 2007.

Visitors, Tourists and Temporary Residents
Vehicles may be admitted into Canada without having to comply with TC’s import requirements when used exclusively by a person entering Canada as a visitor for a period not exceeding 12 months, or temporary residents such as students studying at a learning institution for the duration of their studies in Canada, or individuals with valid work permits/authorizations for employment for a period not exceeding 36 months.
Temporary residents and visa holders whose vehicle will require licensing while temporarily in Canada must submit a Form 1 at the border.

Radek

Mar 28, 2022
Ok, CBSA website says this , says except for US and Mexico. May be USMCA from Mr. Trump helped - LOl
I am surprised that they did not ask to register in RIV program.
I guess I will find out next year and will share an update here. Thanks for sharing your update.
Yep I asked him specifically if I need to do anything else and he said nope :D

He said the Service Ontario I may have to notify as they have separate systems but as far as CBSA is considered my car's block on sale was removed.

I know that in SO, my car is registered just like any other car. Anyways I have all the documents that anyone might need(including RIV as I have a copy for RIV as well in the new FORM1 that he gave). So worse case even if later someone asks atleast its clear from CBSA standpoint.