+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't obtain health insurance/drivers licence with expired PR Card not meeting RO, Vancouver

Anna7894

Jan 25, 2022
Hello,

I'm in big trouble, maybe someone could advise?

I'm in Canada now, my PR card is expired in October 2021. I have only 4 months of residency in Canada for the past 5 years, so I cannot renew my PR card.
My problem is I cannot obtain a driver's license or health insurance card because in Vancouver to get those documents Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) requires a valid PR card.
They refused to proceed without a valid PR card and didn't accept my Confirmation of permanent residence document either.

Even biggest problem: I'm currently working (I have a valid SIN) but I cannot open a bank account to receive my salary because banks asked me for some valid Canadian ID but I cannot provide anything.

Summary: I need to live for almost 2 years without health insurance, driver's license and bank account before I can renew my PR card.
If I apply for PR card renewal now, I will be most likely refused.

Is there a way around it or am I completely screwed?

Thank you very much in advance.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
Hello,

I'm in Canada now, my PR card is expired in October 2021. I have only 4 months of residency in Canada for the past 5 years, so I cannot renew my PR card.
My problem is I cannot obtain a driver's license or health insurance card because in Vancouver to get those documents Insurance Corporation of BC (ICBC) requires a valid PR card.
They refused to proceed without a valid PR card and didn't accept my Confirmation of permanent residence document either.

Even biggest problem: I'm currently working (I have a valid SIN) but I cannot open a bank account to receive my salary because banks asked me for some valid Canadian ID but I cannot provide anything.

Summary: I need to live for almost 2 years without health insurance, driver's license and bank account before I can renew my PR card.

COPR is a valid document. Did you try at a few places, or just one? Sometimes an agent is not knowledgeable enough, better to try a couple of offices.
I think there is an online portal to apply as well.

Reactions: Anna7894

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
ICBC will not process the license or services card without a valid PR card. Have you tried calling HIBC? For actual new immigrants who have yet to receive PR cards, they provide temporary MSP coverage and send a letter to confirm this in lieu of a card just so you have something to present when needed. I don't know if that will work in your case though because you are not a new immigrant. The COPR does need to be sent to HIBC so they can verify the status as PR (and newly landed).

As for banks, as far as I know, they really don't accept COPRs over a year old. Yours is way more than a year old. Have you tried one of those places who cash cheques? There are service charges but atleast you can access your money. It also won't hurt to try and speak to a manager of a bank to see if they can provide more options. Try credit unions as well, you never know.

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
For receiving Payroll, you can try apps like Koho, Wise, STACK. There may be more. I think Tangerine allows you to open an account online. What you need for these is a valid credit file. I have never received any deposits in these services so do your research before you decide which one you want to go with.

Reactions: Anna7894

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Do you have a spouse or partner? They may able to co-sign to open the bank account. When it comes to MSP you may be out of luck.