+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't link paper application to online account?

Afgboy_2017

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
if you apply as common law partner, the marital status should be 'single'. try again. it works.
I applied under spouse. I tried single it did not work. In the letter I recieved today it has a reference note for the online account thats syas the functional for sponsors does not exist at this time. I gave the same email for me and my spouse. Does that mean I have to change the email to get it to work.

Deven Ramani

Jan 2, 2018
It usually takes many attempts , create more than one gec key account so that you can try from a different account when you are blocked for 24 hours from one account.
if you have copy of the form on computer that you submitted you can copy paste same info while trying to link.
dont forget to include middle names if they were part of the original application for Principle applicant.
There is city and country of birth OR passport info option so you can enter either or you dont need to enter both. Keep notes of the combination you have already tried.

Afgboy_2017

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
It usually takes many attempts , create more than one gec key account so that you can try from a different account when you are blocked for 24 hours from one account.
if you have copy of the form on computer that you submitted you can copy paste same info while trying to link.
dont forget to include middle names if they were part of the original application for Principle applicant.
There is city and country of birth OR passport info option so you can enter either or you dont need to enter both. Keep notes of the combination you have already tried.
I have been trying the partner sign in. It does not let me choose just the passport option. will create a gc account and try that. I am keeping a record in an excel file for all my attempts.

Afgboy_2017

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
I have been trying the partner sign in. It does not let me choose just the passport option. will create a gc account and try that. I am keeping a record in an excel file for all my attempts.

Afgboy_2017

Star Member
Sep 12, 2017
Thanks for your help. I was able to link my account. I entered the passport info instead and it work. Here is what I used
Application number
Family name
Passport details
In number of applicant I put 2.

PALWINDER SINGH

Jul 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone.....
I successfully linked my file with online account in 13th try...
In my case....Problem was in Birth Place/town field..
So I tried it this way..

- > Application number and UCI
- > Didn't enter Birth details fields
- > Entered Passport fields
- > Entered Province and City intend to live
- > 1 in field(Number of family members that are part of application)

arnab05

Aug 19, 2017
Hi Everyone.....
I successfully linked my file with online account in 13th try...
In my case....Problem was in Birth Place/town field..
So I tried it this way..

- > Application number and UCI
- > Didn't enter Birth details fields
- > Entered Passport fields
- > Entered Province and City intend to live
- > 1 in field(Number of family members that are part of application)
Which option did you choose: Sign-In Partner or GCKey?

Udara

Aug 30, 2018
Hi guys,

I have applied SOWP application last year and it got rejected stating a reason that the marriage is not genuine.I applied my visa again two weeks ago.I have linked my paper application with the online CIC website with her previous UCI number.However,it still shows the previous visa decision with the dates have not been updated yet.Do you guys have any idea the duration it takes to update the system for the present visa application?

Thanks,

Atlantico

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
This is the most ridiculous thing I find with CIC website. What the hell is their UCI for? Why they have to ask for so many information items?

Atlantico

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
? UCI is a unique client identifier. It's how they identify applicants...
Isn't it all you need to know to find what applications your Client has submitted? User should only have to key in the UCI then the software should list all the applications that Client has submitted.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Isn't it all you need to know to find what applications your Client has submitted? User should only have to key in the UCI then the software should list all the applications that Client has submitted.
Imagine someone gets a hold of your UCI somehow and are able to find your application and do whatever they want. Imagine you type the UCI wrong by a number and you pull up someone else's information.

Be glad they put extra layers of security, no matter how hard it might be to link an application. A lot of people spend weeks looking, and even though that might be ridiculous, it's not something that is 100% needed for the PR app to move forward.

Atlantico

Star Member
Mar 27, 2018
Imagine someone gets a hold of your UCI somehow and are able to find your application and do whatever they want. Imagine you type the UCI wrong by a number and you pull up someone else's information.

Be glad they put extra layers of security, no matter how hard it might be to link an application. A lot of people spend weeks looking, and even though that might be ridiculous, it's not something that is 100% needed for the PR app to move forward.
What they are asking for to find an application is far more than needed for security reason.
Think about what the bank ask you to verify you are the owner of the bank account you want to check. It requires much less information.
Making it so secured that no one can use is even more ridiculous. And by saying it's not important for the process so it can be screwed is also more ridiculous.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
What they are asking for to find an application is far more than needed for security reason.
Think about what the bank ask you to verify you are the owner of the bank account you want to check. It requires much less information.
Making it so secured that no one can use is even more ridiculous. And by saying it's not important for the process so it can be screwed is also more ridiculous.
I have literally no idea what you're talking about. They don't make it so secure you can't use it. You can access ECAS and GCKey. If you're having problems linking, there are a number of tips and tricks available to you.

wanderer88

May 1, 2019
Most of the people select 1, but I suppose if it is sponsorship application then the number of members should be 2 (1 primary applicant and 1 sponsor)
I guess they change it from 1 to 2 at the cic after they receive the application.

Was just going through info on how to link the paper application to online account. It is mentioned there

"If you are applying for family sponsorship, enter the number of family members, including the primary applicant, the sponsor and the co-signer (if applicable) who are part of your application."

Link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1226&top=23

I am still not able to link my paper application to online account, says no matches. Application package delivered on 17th October. Already more than 5 days, so I also went to contact us and reported the issue through web form under technical difficulty

Reference:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

Last edited: