+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

can't find a job

miguelre

Nov 28, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah, i landed about two weeks ago and im having a hard time finding a job. does anyone here know about a job or something? I dont know anybody either so i have no connections.

thanks guys!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Congrats on landing! Unfortunately it isn't easy for new immigrants to find jobs. Try going to the main forum page and looking under the 'finding work in Canada' section. I think there are some work websites you can try out. You could also try getting with a temp agency in your area just to get started and get some Canadian work experience. Best of luck!!

lonelycanadianwifey

Jan 25, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston,Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-12-2008
Doc's Request.
19-03-2009
AOR Received.
26-02-2009
File Transfer...
01-07-09
Med's Request
11-11-2009
Med's Done....
16-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-02-10
VISA ISSUED...
02-12-10
LANDED..........
02-28-10
here are some references

http://jobbank.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/

or

www.jobs.gc.ca

good luck

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
There is help out there for new immigrants:

http://employment.alberta.ca/CES/2174.html (links for each service are on the web page)

Calgary Region
Employment and Immigration offers many services for employers and people working in the Calgary region.

Employer Connections
Employer Connections are held each month at Alberta Works offices in Calgary. Job seekers and career changers meet employers face to face and find out about current vacancies.

Employment, Training and Career Services Directory
An overview of programs and services available in the Calgary region.

Job Fairs, Workshops and Information Sessions
Career and employment workshops, employer workshops and events offered in the Calgary region. Information sessions about our service providers.

Labour Market Information
Local labour market information for employers, job seekers, career changers and others in the Calgary region.

Office Locations
Addresses, phone numbers and maps to offices in the Calgary region.

Career and job help, including job experience placements: http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG-etcs-career.pdf

Immigrant training and employment services: http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG-etcs-immigrant.pdf

Temporary workplace opportunities: http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG-etcs-temporary.pdf

Workplace training opportunites (paid): http://employment.alberta.ca/documents/RRM/RRM-CG-etcs-workplace.pdf

There are jobs here that may possibly be of use short term: http://thedi.openopp.ca/ or you could look on kijiji - http://calgary.kijiji.ca/f-jobs-W0QQCatIdZ45

Hope that helps a little :)

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
try monster.ca , hrcareers or other places to submit online. how is your english?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
check this thread.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/searching-for-jobs-sorry-if-you-are-not-supposed-to-post-this-here-t50332.0.html

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
miguelre said:
yeah, i landed about two weeks ago and im having a hard time finding a job. does anyone here know about a job or something? I dont know anybody either so i have no connections.

thanks guys!
I landed in November and haven't found a job yet. Can you guys find me one first?? I'm kidding about that second part of course, but not the first.

Lots of good leads so suggested so far. What field are you in? What credentials do you have? Have you been to immigrate settlement services and been through their training courses on resume writing, cover letters, cold calling etc? Also try temp and placement agencies; all of them. Good luck; the market is tough to break into here.

miguelre

Nov 28, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AllisonVSC said:
I landed in November and haven't found a job yet. Can you guys find me one first?? I'm kidding about that second part of course, but not the first.

Lots of good leads so suggested so far. What field are you in? What credentials do you have? Have you been to immigrate settlement services and been through their training courses on resume writing, cover letters, cold calling etc? Also try temp and placement agencies; all of them. Good luck; the market is tough to break into here.
wow! you havent found a job yet, eh! (hahaha, get it?) I mean, I just had an interview yesterday at the Westin, hopefully they will call me soon. I'm just very impatient and have no friends here! so, i dont go out and i stay home...bored.
credentials i have none, i have lots of experience in the hospitality industry, though. if you want a friend im your guy! i missed the little gathering they had last time =(

MrsCasanova said:
try monster.ca , hrcareers or other places to submit online. how is your english?
MrsCasanova: mi ingles es muy bueno, hasta pudiera decir que es perfecto.

sbwv09 said:
Congrats on landing! Unfortunately it isn't easy for new immigrants to find jobs. Try going to the main forum page and looking under the 'finding work in Canada' section. I think there are some work websites you can try out. You could also try getting with a temp agency in your area just to get started and get some Canadian work experience. Best of luck!!
thanks, I was really excited/nervous when i landed, but everything went well.

Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate all the help im getting from all of you.

saludos ;D

kal1313

May 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2010
AOR Received.
24-08-10
File Transfer...
16-09-10
Passport Req..
30-10-10
Yes that is a reality check that people have to go through when they get here. I would totally suggest you to apply for any job that has a hiring to get you started even if it something that you were not looking for . In Canada they are always going to ask for Canadian job experience for high paying jobs . So I would suggest to everyone do not expect to get the job of your dreams right away from the get go . Apply for any job that is available at the time and keep looking out for jobs in the area of your expertise and even upgrade studies if you have to . Most jobs in Canada will ask for a minimum 12th grade Canadian or its equivalent . It does not matter if you have had an MBA from elsewhere you will have to unfortunately have to get your certificates evaluated from here, else they hold no value . The best place to find a job with little or no experience is believe or not you local city newspaper that you get for free just dont fall for telemarketer jobs from my personal experience lol .

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Hey Allison are you in Toronto or Mississauga? What field are you looking in?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
I live in Mississauga near Square One. I got into the habit of saying Toronto bc almost no one at home knows where Mississauga is. I was an educator (high school math) in the states. I'm looking for non-profit manager, credit/debt counselor, adult education instructor, private school math teacher (no certification), or admin/secretary, stuff like that. I would prefer to put my math skills to good use, but I'm open to other types of work (except sales).

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
AllisonVSC said:
I live in Mississauga near Square One. I got into the habit of saying Toronto bc almost no one at home knows where Mississauga is. I was an educator (high school math) in the states. I'm looking for non-profit manager, credit/debt counselor, adult education instructor, private school math teacher (no certification), or admin/secretary, stuff like that. I would prefer to put my math skills to good use, but I'm open to other types of work (except sales).
I signed up with http://www.careerbuilder.ca/CA/Default.aspx for admin work in my area - I get 2 emails a week with new positions - most of the jobs I get sent are in the Mississauga area, which is no good for me, but which might be helpful for you Allison. Bell have a lot of financial and executive positions at the moment (Mississauga) and there were a couple of admin jobs with other companies this week too.

:)

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Allison I work in Mississuaga and live in Toronto. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you.