+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot print CIT0002

Natan

May 22, 2015
This is not true. People who had more than 1,095 days on Oct 10 were eligible under the new rules yesterday and that is what matters. This is not about the question if the rules were in force yesterday or not. It has to be understood as "Under the current rules, were you eligible yesterday?"

Source: It would take me about 30 minutes to quote all the relevant parts of the Citizenship Act and Bill C-6, but believe me I know that bill by heart basically and you can find the info there.
You are going to have to provide authoritative citations to convince me. Until then, the plain English meaning of the phrase, which is repeated in the instructions, shall prevail in my understanding.

spyfy, please provide the citations -- I really want you to prove yourself right!!!

arash1718

Star Member
May 29, 2013
If you were not eligible to file under the old rules, then you cannot sign and submit your application until tomorrow (because you were not eligible to apply yesterday).
I set the date for Oct 11 in the calculator and it said I am eligible.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
You are going to have to provide authoritative citations to convince me. Until then, the plain English meaning of the phrase, which is repeated in the instructions, shall prevail in my understanding.
OK, here we go. Section 5(1) of the Citizenship Act, most recently modified by bill C-6, sections 1(1) 1(2) 1(2) 1(3) 1(4), coming into force on Oct 11th reads as follows:

5 (1) The Minister shall grant citizenship to any person who
(a) makes application for citizenship;
(b) [Repealed, 2017, c. 14, s. 1]
(c) is a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, has, subject to the regulations, no unfulfilled conditions under that Act relating to his or her status as a permanent resident and has
(i) been physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the five years immediately before the date of his or her application, and
(ii) [repealed]
(iii) met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return of income in respect of three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years immediately before the date of his or her application;
[...]

This is where the "you must have been eligible yesterday" comes from. Everyone who files their application today filed it when the Citizenship Act as above has been into force. The old version of the Citizenship Act has no legislative power, apart from legacy applications, according to the transitional provisions of bill C-6.

So the only question, the case worker can ask is: Was the applicant physically present in Canada for 1,095 days on the day before the application. The answer to that question is yes.

Note that according to the legal framework of Canada, Bills passed by parliament supersede any government regulations and guidelines used by government officials. So the law above is the primary source, everything else is subordinate to it.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The citizenship application states the following right above the signature area, "Remember to make sure that you are eligible to apply for citizenship on the day BEFORE you sign this application."

If you sign the application today (11 October 2017), that means you are eligible to apply for citizenship yesterday, when the former rules applied. If you are only eligible under the new rules, then you must sign no earlier than tomorrow, because today is the first day you are eligible to apply for citizenship under the new rules.
This is wrong, see legal quotes above. Bill C-6 does not require that the law was in effect the day before the application. It only requires that you were resident in Canada 1,095 days on the day before the application.

glmmoula

Star Member
Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here, woke up at 12:45am and started working on our applications only to find out I could not print. Went everywhere thinking it was the computer. The trouble is that I already made payment.
I was able to save, fill out and print cit 002e

Reactions: jsm0085

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

spyfy, please provide the citations -- I really want you to prove yourself right!!!
There is a limit to how much stupidity I can deal with in one day - and you're just beyond my limit. Its quite simple. If you have 1095 valid residency days, prior to today, you can apply today.

arash1718

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Same here, woke up at 12:45am and started working on our applications only to find out I could not print. Went everywhere thinking it was the computer. The trouble is that I already made payment.
Did you see my post on how to get the prints?

arash1718

Star Member
May 29, 2013
This is wrong, see legal quotes above. Bill C-6 does not require that the law was in effect the day before the application. It only requires that you were resident in Canada 1,095 days on the day before the application.
I appreciate your posts to clarify things.
I think some people are trying provoke you to provide them with all the answers because they're lazy to search for them.

aska-phd

Star Member
Oct 14, 2014
While I was paying online, system timed out but it deducted the money without receipt! what is the solution?
will they send receipt by email?

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan
Ive both filed and printed residence calculator and cit0002.

Couriered through postal service and will get to 49 dorchester street on Tuesday.

Good luck to all on your application.

Now, the agony of waiting in a very long line begins!

Last edited:
Reactions: arash1718

arash1718

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Ive both filed and printed residense calculator and cit0002.

Couriered through postal service and will get to 49 dorchester street on Tuesday.

Good luck to all on your application.

Now, the agony of waiting begins!
Which courier did you choose?