+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Candian Police Certificate needed?

pip_kerr

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Hello, I am getting everything together to send off for my PR spouse sponsorship, it will be an offshore application.

I read that I need a Canadian police clearance as I have been living in Canada for over 6 months now is that true?.

Do I send in my Australian checks and now the Canadian as well?

My Australian checks were sent to me in June 2015, are they still valid to send, I haven't been home since then so obviously there couldn't be anything added to it.

If I go to a Police station here in Ontario with ID can I just order a police clearance? The RCMP site really confused me with what to do exactly.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

How to get a police certificate - Canada
Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No

The Australian PCC needs to be included with the app.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
no, you don't need to send a canadian police clearance upfront. i believe the guide suggests it's only for countries other than canada that you've lived for 6+ months. If a canadian report is needed, then CIC will request it down the road. A majority of applicants are never asked to provide RCMP reports. i wouldn't recommend worrying about that part now. just send in the australian record.

pip_kerr

Star Member
Nov 13, 2015
Ok thanks for the replies everyone, yeah I was reading that I needed one because I was applying offshore, I read that if it was an onshore application than you can provide later, but if everyone here is saying its not needed now that makes things easier.

This is an excerpt from the CIC immigration guide:

POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
Police certificates or clearances from each country in which you and every one in your family aged
18 years or over have resided six months or more since reaching 18 years of age. You must attach
the original police document(s). Please consult our Web site for specific and up-to-date
information on how to obtain police certificates from any country

Because I have lived 6 months you would think I have to after reading this?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You do not need to give them a police certificate from Canada. They want the applicant to give them a police certificate for every country where they have lived 6 months or more, except Canada. CIC will do their own checks for Canada. If they do want one, they will ask for it later - which is very unusual.
From the CIC website where it provides instructions about how to get police checks:
Canada: 'Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No.'
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

Canadianinbrazil

Star Member
Mar 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-03-2016
Doc's Request.
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
30-03-2016
File Transfer...
SA 15-04-2016 AOR2 22-04-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
03-12-2015
Passport Req..
17-10-16
VISA ISSUED...
6-11-16
LANDED..........
15-11-16
You don't necessarily need it, but be prepared for them to request it. My husband had also spent more than six months in Canada prior to the application and we just got a request for an RCMP check on the 30th. They may or may not request it, but don't assume they won't.