+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancelling Medical Insurance after Visa Application

foxygrandpa

Star Member
Nov 3, 2017
Hi Guys,
I come to you with a rather weird question. I had bought insurance for my parents' super visa application assuming that the visa would be granted by now. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any movement and in an effort to avoid losing money, I cancelled the health insurance since it was to take effect on november 1. Now that I have cancelled the health insurance, do you know if I should re-purchase and send IRCC the new health insurance? What has your experience been like? Do they really check to see if your insurance policy is valid? I am happy to buy a new one and re-submit via a webform but not sure if that will negatively impact the application.
Many thanks for your feedback.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys,
I come to you with a rather weird question. I had bought insurance for my parents' super visa application assuming that the visa would be granted by now. Unfortunately, there hasn't been any movement and in an effort to avoid losing money, I cancelled the health insurance since it was to take effect on november 1. Now that I have cancelled the health insurance, do you know if I should re-purchase and send IRCC the new health insurance? What has your experience been like? Do they really check to see if your insurance policy is valid? I am happy to buy a new one and re-submit via a webform but not sure if that will negatively impact the application.
Many thanks for your feedback.
You should have just delayed the start date of the insurance. You must purchase insurance and send proof in asap because you don’t want to be caught misrepresenting that you have supervisa insurance and end up with a ban.

TokunboU

Oct 20, 2022
We were able to get insurance through a company that allows you to change the date, so just contact 2 weeks before it expires and extend the start date by another 6 months or so. Then whenever the visa is granted, contact them again and change the date to whenever your parents are entering the country. I believe most supervisa insurance providers should offer this same service. Hope this helps.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123