+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Visitor Visa: Detroit Consulate: Successful Processing

beefdaniel

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am posting this because I see a lot of questions related to Canadian Visa Processing and I would like to have my experience shared here as well.

A little about myself. I am from India working in the US on an H1-B and I have some relatives over in Canada who I (and my wife) would like to visit hence I applied for a Canadian Visitor Visa.

I posted the application documents my USPS Express Mail to the Detroit Consulate on 17th October 2012. Due to a delay in the USPS mailing service the documents reached Detroit on 19th October. The money order was cashed on 23rd October. They consulate mailed the passports along with the visa stamped for one year on 30th October 2012.

Documents I submitted were:

01. Application form
02. Bank Statement for Funds
03. Letter of employment
04. Latest salary slips
05. Letter of Invitation
06. Marriage Certificate
07. Copy of I 797
08. Original Passport with I 94 attached to it.
09. Proof of medical insurance (US Medical Insurance)

Hope you guys have a good luck in getting your visas processed and have a safe trip to Canada

Cheers,
Dan

ananthbi

Nov 8, 2012
Hi Dan,

My wife and I just mailed our documents today. Couple of Questions:

1) We sent as one package only. We showed our Joint A/c Funds as Funds and we put in the same amount in our individual applications (assuming the visa officer would take that as joint funds available and not per head). Is that fine?

2) I thought we were to submit original I-797 and hence we both submitted our Original Ones.

3) I did not see them asking for any reference for Marriage Certificate or US Medical Insurance Proof. Is that needed? I did not mail those.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

beefdaniel

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
ananthbi said:
Hi Dan,

My wife and I just mailed our documents today. Couple of Questions:

1) We sent as one package only. We showed our Joint A/c Funds as Funds and we put in the same amount in our individual applications (assuming the visa officer would take that as joint funds available and not per head). Is that fine?

Yes that's fine - I don''t really see that causing you any trouble. Till you have sufficient funds to cover your stay its all good.

2) I thought we were to submit original I-797 and hence we both submitted our Original Ones.

The official site says we need to submit the Original I-797, however I took my chance and submitted a copy of it. But its heartening to know that the consulate returns all the documents with the passport including the photocopies of anything that you send them (Bank statement etc etc)

3) I did not see them asking for any reference for Marriage Certificate or US Medical Insurance Proof. Is that needed? I did not mail those.

The site has a generic statement which says send as much documentation as possible. Since my wife is on a dependent visa I felt it was justified to send a marriage certificate. I also did read on the CIC list of document about insurance and hence sent my insurance papers as well. But not sending these will not cause an issue either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
My answers are in the quote above. Good Luck with your process. Do post a detailed account of your experience, it might help someone else.