+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Visa through Paris

LMGD

Feb 25, 2018
Hello, I'm a Lebanese citizen currently residing in Switzerland. In order to attend my cousin's wedding this summer, I'm applying for a visitor visa that must be done through the Paris Visa office.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent similar experience and can give me some guidelines.

1) Despite saying that my cousin is a citizen in Canada, specifying that I'm visiting friends/family, and then replying yes to having proof of relationship with said friend/family (due to their suggested example of wedding invitation), I'm completely lost as to what to provide as documents of proof of relationship when they then give examples of official marital documents or proof of parentage later on.
Should I just upload the wedding invitation with pictures of us growing up together as cousins? Is it better to upload my cousin's passport page showing her mom's name and my mom's family registry that shows them as sisters?

2) Since all of my documents are going to be submitted online, I still have to pass by the Paris office for my biometric scan since my passport doesn't have it. I understand that they send you a letter sometime after the submission of your application that gives you 30 days to go give your biometrics.
Since I already booked my transport to Paris (tight class schedule), how early on should I submit my application, is a month enough?
Will I also have to bring hard copies of all the documents I uploaded?

3) Is it true you could get the passport (possibly with visa) in one day if you show up there in person, instead of mailing the documents?

Thank you for your help!!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Is it better to upload my cousin's passport page showing her mom's name and my mom's family registry that shows them as sisters?
This is better, but honestly, I'm not too sure if it's really necessary to prove relationships as cousins. AFAIK, this is usually intended for direct relationships like spouses, parents, children...it just shows up in the online checklist if you say you're visiting a relative.

2) Since all of my documents are going to be submitted online, I still have to pass by the Paris office for my biometric scan since my passport doesn't have it. I understand that they send you a letter sometime after the submission of your application that gives you 30 days to go give your biometrics.
Since I already booked my transport to Paris (tight class schedule), how early on should I submit my application, is a month enough?
Will I also have to bring hard copies of all the documents I uploaded?

3) Is it true you could get the passport (possibly with visa) in one day if you show up there in person, instead of mailing the documents?

Thank you for your help!!
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

Current processing time at Paris is 15 days (no guarantee it will be processed in this time either), but you require biometrics. I would suggest about 3 months in advance. And even if you submit in person, you will deal with the VAC and not with the visa office directly. The VAC is a middleman to the Paris visa office. I have yet to hear of any TRV processed in one day, especially if biometrics are required. Not sure where you heard it's possible to get a TRV in one day, perhaps you're thinking of an eTA, which is only for visa-exempt passports like France.

Last edited:

LMGD

Feb 25, 2018
Thank you for your help! Yes, I'll do that as a proof of relationship just to be on the safe side, despite as being cousins and it being weird/difficult to prove.

I would suggest about 3 months in advance.
^ By this you mean 3 months in advance of my date of travel to Canada right? Cause I'm not really planning on leaving till August.
I'm just worried if submitting my complete application online by mid March will give me an early Biometrics invite that fits with my Paris trip for mid April. Hopefully it'll work out that way!

Also, very probable it was an eTA that I heard about, it was posted on a Swiss forum around 2010 :\ but it was the only information I had.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thank you for your help! Yes, I'll do that as a proof of relationship just to be on the safe side, despite as being cousins and it being weird/difficult to prove.

^ By this you mean 3 months in advance of my date fo travel to Canada right? Cause I'm not really planning on leaving till August.
I'm just worried if submitting my complete application online by mid March will give me an early Biometrics invite that fits with my Paris trip for mid April. Hopefully it'll work out that way!

Also, very probable it was an eTA that I heard about, it was posted on a Swiss forum around 2010 :\ but it was the only information I had.
Yes, 3 months before your trip.

Hmm, mid-April is actually perfect if you're going to Paris then...you can submit your application in person at the VAC and do your biometrics when you submit.

PS: I stand corrected, there were no eTAs back in 2010, so maybe they really did give one-day TRVs then.

LMGD

Feb 25, 2018
Hmm, mid-April is actually perfect if you're going to Paris then...you can submit your application in person at the VAC and do your biometrics when you submit.
^ Thank you for all your help!!

Any advice on a the so-called 'Purpose of Travel' documents? Examples include an itinerary, return fight reservation, or medical appointment.
Since it's been advised not to buy a return ticket until I get my visa, is there anything else I can add to help my case?

I can't really submit my registration for the Fall semester, since that happens in September. But my student ID is valid till September, so maybe I can scan it and attach my syllabus that shows I have an ongoing thesis from February of 2018 till January of 2019.
I also have a medical appointment back here in Switzerland on September 7th, is this what they're asking for?

Thank you!