Canadian universities enrollment

HoneyBadger

Star Member
Dec 26, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks/seniors
I am hoping someone can provide me answers to my following questions.

As an international student, how many credits do one has to register for Masters Program in Canadian universities? Does it differ?

Do we have to enroll in all three terms while we are doing or graduate studies? Like no summer break and nothing? Does this also depend on the universities?

Thank you

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
how many credits do one has to register for Masters Program in Canadian universities? Does it differ?

Do we have to enroll in all three terms while we are doing or graduate studies? Like no summer break and nothing?

Does this also depend on the universities?
Everything depends on university.

HoneyBadger

Star Member
Dec 26, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
True that. After communicating with someone at Concordia University of College of Alberta I was told that if I do not enroll in all three terms, it will be violation of the study permit.
It kind of sucks in a way to join graduate program that does not have co-op/internship option because one cant skip semester to get some experience.
I could be wrong but as of right now that is my understanding.

HoneyBadger

Star Member
Dec 26, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are few masters programs I have found that has Co-op option embedded within the curriculum of the program just like thesis or project option. For example University of Toronto has MSc. Applied Computing degree which is 16 months course that has 8 months of core courses and then 8 months of industrial experience as a degree requirement.
I also found out that the off campus work permit restriction is now changing and dont have to wait till 6 months. So hopefully as you mentioned, that could be another good option.

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
HoneyBadger said:
Folks/seniors
I am hoping someone can provide me answers to my following questions.

As an international student, how many credits do one has to register for Masters Program in Canadian universities? Does it differ?

Do we have to enroll in all three terms while we are doing or graduate studies? Like no summer break and nothing? Does this also depend on the universities?

Thank you
It depends on the university and department. At McGill ECE, you need to register only for Fall 2014 and Winter 2015 if you start this September. As to the credits, I think your supervisor will help you decide on that but I think at McGill the minimum number of credits to be considered a full-time student is 12 credit hours per term. :)

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also found out that the off campus work permit restriction is now changing and dont have to wait till 6 months.
No, there are not. We wish but no news since December 2012 (!!!)

If you start in September 2014 your co-op will not start till May 2015 and by that time you will be able to get your off campus WP even if those expected change will not come true. :)

Justin-engineer

Aug 17, 2013
Manitoba- Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyBadger said:
There are few masters programs I have found that has Co-op option embedded within the curriculum of the program just like thesis or project option. For example University of Toronto has MSc. Applied Computing degree which is 16 months course that has 8 months of core courses and then 8 months of industrial experience as a degree requirement.
I also found out that the off campus work permit restriction is now changing and dont have to wait till 6 months. So hopefully as you mentioned, that could be another good option.
University of Regina also has masters programmes with Co-OP and so does university of Victoria.
Everything depends on the university. Generally there is spring break during graduate studies and you can work full time during that spring break. SO even if your university doesn't have a CO-op option, you can always try and find a internship job on your own during spring break. But it depends on university, so first try and shortlist universities before digging further in this matter. Best of luck !!