+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian tourist visa rejected for the reasons that were already provided in the application

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am posting this because I am very confused with the denial of my tourist visa to Canada.
Let me tell you my background first. I am from the Philippines but I am here in Australia at the moment and will be attending my friend's wedding anniversary and will go to Melbourne with her in January. Being here for more than a month me and my boyfriend(American) decided to get married in Sydney so we applied for the papers that could officially bond us together. Unfortunately, we will have to wait for a month before we could really get married. We then decided to go to Canada for Christmas while we wait for our papers here in Sydney to allow us to get married and to come back for my friends anniversary. Having said that I have all the reason to leave Canada after Christmas.

Travel history - I have been in Canada back in 2009. I never overstayed but I requested an extension for my visa. In 8 years after my first visit to Canada, I have been to many counties including UK, Europe, Japan and Australia and many Asian countries.

Documents - In 2017, I have applied to Europe, Japan, and Australia presenting them the same documents I presented when I applied for a tourist visa in Canada.

Denial - the letter said that I didn't prove I will be leaving Canada at the end of my stay and these
a) Employment prospect in country of residence
b)Current Employment Situation
c) Personal asset and financial status

I have presented them 2 work contracts. One is from the company where I work for 5 years, the other one is from the company where I work part-time. I also included my registered business. My job is usually online, I am one of those people you can call "digital nomad". I supported this with all the payslip I received and payments from my clients. The same thing I presented to all countries I've been to this year. But it was not enough for Canada. Why?
I also included my application to get married signed by registered celebrant here in Australia. Therefore, I will have to leave and be back in Australia to get married. After this process, I will have to go back to the Philippines to work on my visa to go to US which I can only do in my home country. There is no way I can do that in Canada or even in Australia.

Where are the reasons for not leaving Canada came from?

I really don't understand this decision and it shocked me yesterday.
I applied on Dec 9, 2017 and got the decision yesterday evening Dec 18, 2017.
I also applied here in Sydney but the decision came from Canadian Embassy in the Philippines. (not that this really bothers me)
But how will I send my passport to the Philippines when I get my visa, which I was certain I will get, if the process is in the Philippines. I know this last question wouldn't matter but it bugs my head as to why it gets processed there.

Anyone could give me any tips on what I should do? the horrible thing here is that you are a good person, a traveler who didn't break any immigration laws with all your travels BUT you feel like you are when any country reject you of visa. And there is nothing you can do about it either once the decision is made. Yes, you can appeal or apply again, but really? That takes a while and I would probably use the same documents I used.

ughhh --- all these applying, working on documents, rejection, putting your faith into people's hand is so frustrating!!! I wish there is just this one universal visa we can have!!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

I am posting this because I am very confused with the denial of my tourist visa to Canada.
Let me tell you my background first. I am from the Philippines but I am here in Australia at the moment and will be attending my friend's wedding anniversary and will go to Melbourne with her in January. Being here for more than a month me and my boyfriend(American) decided to get married in Sydney so we applied for the papers that could officially bond us together. Unfortunately, we will have to wait for a month before we could really get married. We then decided to go to Canada for Christmas while we wait for our papers here in Sydney to allow us to get married and to come back for my friends anniversary. Having said that I have all the reason to leave Canada after Christmas.

Travel history - I have been in Canada back in 2009. I never overstayed but I requested an extension for my visa. In 8 years after my first visit to Canada, I have been to many counties including UK, Europe, Japan and Australia and many Asian countries.

Documents - In 2017, I have applied to Europe, Japan, and Australia presenting them the same documents I presented when I applied for a tourist visa in Canada.

Denial - the letter said that I didn't prove I will be leaving Canada at the end of my stay and these
a) Employment prospect in country of residence
b)Current Employment Situation
c) Personal asset and financial status

I have presented them 2 work contracts. One is from the company where I work for 5 years, the other one is from the company where I work part-time. I also included my registered business. My job is usually online, I am one of those people you can call "digital nomad". I supported this with all the payslip I received and payments from my clients. The same thing I presented to all countries I've been to this year. But it was not enough for Canada. Why?
I also included my application to get married signed by registered celebrant here in Australia. Therefore, I will have to leave and be back in Australia to get married. After this process, I will have to go back to the Philippines to work on my visa to go to US which I can only do in my home country. There is no way I can do that in Canada or even in Australia.

Where are the reasons for not leaving Canada came from?

I really don't understand this decision and it shocked me yesterday.
I applied on Dec 9, 2017 and got the decision yesterday evening Dec 18, 2017.
I also applied here in Sydney but the decision came from Canadian Embassy in the Philippines. (not that this really bothers me)
But how will I send my passport to the Philippines when I get my visa, which I was certain I will get, if the process is in the Philippines. I know this last question wouldn't matter but it bugs my head as to why it gets processed there.

Anyone could give me any tips on what I should do? the horrible thing here is that you are a good person, a traveler who didn't break any immigration laws with all your travels BUT you feel like you are when any country reject you of visa. And there is nothing you can do about it either once the decision is made. Yes, you can appeal or apply again, but really? That takes a while and I would probably use the same documents I used.

ughhh --- all these applying, working on documents, rejection, putting your faith into people's hand is so frustrating!!! I wish there is just this one universal visa we can have!!
Hi

It would be helpful if you post a full list of all the documents you included. How much money did you show? How long of a stay did you request?

Reactions: Gumamela1984

Teolo28

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
Hi

It would be helpful if you post a full list of all the documents you included. How much money did you show? How long of a stay did you request?
Yes I agree. The applicant might not include all the necessary docs that is why it was denied like flight reservation, bank statement, detailed itinerary, travel insurance, letter explaining for visiting canada...

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017
Yes I agree. The applicant might not include all the necessary docs that is why it was denied like flight reservation, bank statement, detailed itinerary, travel insurance, letter explaining for visiting canada...

Here are the list of documents I submitted

1. Travel history - stamps and visa (including Schengen, Previous Canadian visa, UK, Japan, Australia, Taiwan) and so as other stamps that don't need a visa.

2. Booked roundtrip ticket - Dec 21-29 2017

3. 2 bank statements - one of the bank has about $4000

4. Bank statements of the sponsor - (American Fiance)

5. Work contracts and business permit - one of my contract is where I have been working for 5 years.

6. Insurance for 1 year (worldwide because I've been traveling a lot lately)

7. Detailed Itinerary

8. Covered letter explaining why I am going to Canada, what I do for a living, my bank statement, payment from clients, Website showing what I do for a living, Explaining I need to go back to Australia because I am going to get married in January, also explaining I need to go back to the Philippines to apply for my US visa which can't be done in Australia or Canada. Pictures with Fiance when we were in the Philippines, Europe, and Japan

9. Invitation letter from American Fiance stating that he will support my stay while in Canada with his passport ID.

10. Our application to get married in Australia signed by authorized Celebrant.

11. All signed form from the website.

One thing I find weird, which doesn't matter to me, is I applied here in Sydney online but the letter came from Canadian Embassy in Philippines. If I got approved and need to send my visa, I'll have to send my passport to Philippines?

The documents I presented online are the same as what I presented for my Schengen, Japan, and Australia visa. I only changed the cover letter and invitation.

Also, everything they mentioned as a reason for my refusal is included in the documents I presented. For example, Financial Status which I have $4000++ in my bank account. I thought that'd be enough for 8 days of stay considering my Fiance will handle the finances.

So, please tell me what I have done wrong. I did exactly what I do for all my approved visas.

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017

1. Travel history - stamps and visa (including Schengen, Previous Canadian visa, UK, Japan, Australia, Taiwan) and so as other stamps that don't need a visa.

5. Work contracts and business permit - one of my contract is where I have been working for 5 years.

7. Detailed Itinerary

8. Covered letter explaining why I am going to Canada, what I do for a living, my bank statement, payment from clients, Website showing what I do for a living, Explaining I need to go back to Australia because I am going to get married in January, also explaining I need to go back to the Philippines to apply for my US visa which can't be done in Australia or Canada. Pictures with Fiance when we were in the Philippines, Europe, and Japan

9. Invitation letter from American Fiance stating that he will support my stay while in Canada with his passport ID.

One thing I find weird, which doesn't matter to me, is I applied here in Sydney online but the letter came from Canadian Embassy in Philippines. If I got approved and need to send my visa, I'll have to send my passport to Philippines?

The documents I presented online are the same as what I presented for my Schengen, Japan, and Australia visa. I only changed the cover letter and invitation.

Also, everything they mentioned as a reason for my refusal is included in the documents I presented. For example, Financial Status which I have $4000++ in my bank account. I thought that'd be enough for 8 days of stay considering my Fiance will handle the finances.

So, please tell me what I have done wrong. I did exactly what I do for all my approved visas.

Teolo28

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015

7. Detailed Itinerary

Hi,

Sometime it is actually confusing the refusal of your visa.. You have traveled a lot compare to my profile but i was given only 1yr multiple entry. I am also from Philippines currently working in Saudi Arabia.

Here is my thought:

-Your application was reviewed in Philippines because in the application form, I believed you have mention Philippines as country of residence.. Since you are only a tourist in Australia so definitely your application could not be processed there.

-I don't think there is a need for invitation letter from your american fiance bcoz he is not from Canada. What is the use of having it? as well as his bank statement?

-You are applying for yourself and therefore providing docs from your fiance's side is not necessary.. I believed CO is looking solely at your own capacity to travel..

-is there any specific reason for denial?

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017
Hi,

Sometime it is actually confusing the refusal of your visa.. You have traveled a lot compare to my profile but i was given only 1yr multiple entry. I am also from Philippines currently working in Saudi Arabia.

Here is my thought:

-Your application was reviewed in Philippines because in the application form, I believed you have mention Philippines as country of residence.. Since you are only a tourist in Australia so definitely your application could not be processed there.

-I don't think there is a need for invitation letter from your american fiance bcoz he is not from Canada. What is the use of having it? as well as his bank statement?

-You are applying for yourself and therefore providing docs from your fiance's side is not necessary.. I believed CO is looking solely at your own capacity to travel..

-is there any specific reason for denial?
Hi,

Did you apply online or paper? Because in online there is a specific part where you need to submit sponsor information- that would mean invitation letter and Bank statements. Otherwise, you won't be able to proceed with payment and submit your application.

With regards to what you think happened, again - the refusal is about employment and finance.
I have supporting documents for Finance (bank account) as well as work contracts that I have used when I applied for Schengen, Japan, and Australia - all of them were approved and this is also my second time in Australia. I have multiple entries for a year. If my supporting papers are good enough to those countries why not Canada?

There is no way that submitting supporting documents like invitation letter from a non-Canadian resident and bank statement could have affected my application because it wasn't mentioned in the letter. In fact, if you think about financial status, I can support myself for 8 days even without my fiance's support. I have booked a return flight, it was already paid for, so the $4000 is all for my stay in Canada for 8 days. I think you can read my post again to check my case.

To answer your question if there is a reason for refusal, I don't know. I was certain to get the visa because I have provided everything so this came to me as a shock.

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017
Hi

7. Detailed Itinerary

Cute girl

Star Member
Dec 19, 2017
Hi,

It's sad. I applied for visitor visa online through a professional help in mid nov. It would be processed in my country of residence which is India. So I don't know when it will get approved or not, or I will get any update regarding this. It's getting delayed don't know the reason.☹

Last edited:

Gumamela1984

Dec 18, 2017
Hi,

It's sad. I applied for visitor visa online through a professional help in mid nov. It would be processed in my country of residence which is India. So I don't know when it will get approved or not, or I will get any update regarding this. It's getting delayed don't know the reason.☹
Oooh! thanks for that info. So I guess its normal to have your papers evaluated in the country of residence even I applied here in Sydney?

I hope you get your approved visa really soon! :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

7. Detailed Itinerary

You are a "digital nomad", and you work part-time, meaning you can work anywhere...these do not constitute stable ties to your home country, which happens to be the Philippines, which is also last year's top source of immigrants to Canada. $4000 is also a low amount...it doesn't matter if you have a fiance to support you, the applicant is still expected to show their own funds.

The reasons for your refusal aren't surprising at all.

You can probably still get a refund for your flight if you show your refusal letter to the airline. It's never recommended to buy flights to Canada before a TRV is approved.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Agree with Bellaluna. You applied from Australia, where you have visitor status only. You seem to have been there a while, and intend on spending further time there, indicating your ties to work are weak ( despite being a digital warrior), as well as your ties to the Philippines and there is nothing preventing you from working in Canada. Your travel history probably supports that further. Your fiancés finances are irrelevant, as there is no obligation for him to pay anything if you do overstay (even if he was Canadian it probably wouldn’t help).
Canada can be tougher than most countries for visitor visas. A possible concern for you now will be the effect it has on other visa applications, now and in the future.

Reactions: Bryanna and Teolo28

Teolo28

Star Member
Jul 25, 2015
Agree with Bellaluna. You applied from Australia, where you have visitor status only. You seem to have been there a while, and intend on spending further time there, indicating your ties to work are weak ( despite being a digital warrior), as well as your ties to the Philippines and there is nothing preventing you from working in Canada. Your travel history probably supports that further. Your fiancés finances are irrelevant, as there is no obligation for him to pay anything if you do overstay (even if he was Canadian it probably wouldn’t help).
Canada can be tougher than most countries for visitor visas. A possible concern for you now will be the effect it has on other visa applications, now and in the future.

Hi,
I agree with you. I think she should have applied only in the Philippines not in Australia and instead deposit some money to her account instead of having invitation letter from her fiance and having those bank statement..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yeah - I think you took a few wrong turns with your application. I would have personally put together your application and evidence quite differently.

Your boyfriend cannot invite you to visit Canada. He's not in Canada or Canadian. Including an invitation letter from him unfortunately weakened your application. Additionally, indicating he would support your stay in Canada also weakened your application. You should have applied based on your own assets, finances and ties to your home country.

Canada has had a significant uptick in refugee claims recently (due to changes in US policies) and consequently it's quite important to prove ties to your home country in a TRV application. Looking objectively at your application - your ties were effectively non-existent. You applied from outside of your home country and it looks like you have no plans to return to your home country. I suspect it may have also seemed odd to Canadian officials that you were looking to spend time in Canada over Christmas when your fiance is American.

Anyway - if you want to reapply, apply based on your own merits. Leave your fiance out of it.