+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Sponsoring someone from Mexico

mexican2012

Aug 7, 2012
I was just wondering, when someone marries a migrant worker (from Mexico) and they marry in a month from meeting each other, how long does it take for the person to wait for their papers to be processed in Mexico in order to get back in Canada. I read on the Canada Immigration website that Mexico takes about 13 months to process with a complete application, is it accurate? Yet, some people on these forums are saying that Mexican lawyers are telling people that it takes about 6 months... so which is right? How does the Canadian government see these kinds of immigration applications: when people marry a Canadian right away and apply for immigration?

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
well the average time on the website says 80% are done in 13 months or less
but most cases finish in about 6-8 months. given that they are straightforward and nothing complicates them

you should join the mexico thread here is a link. there is a few of us going through mexico who can help you with any questions you may have

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/mexico-t35385.0.html

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
Ottawa: 23/07/2012 Mexico City: 20/08/2012
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
We are applying to Mexico out land and have been waiting for 3 1/2 months already. To get sponsorship approval alone is taking 3 months (last time I checked) If you two had a fast courtship I would really recommend ensuring you have a strong package because from what I have read/researched this may cause concern for them. I agree with leisa, come over to the Mexico thread if you want, there is a bunch of us going through the same process.

Buena Suerte!

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mexican2012 said:
how long have you been waiting and when did you apply?
I sent my app to missisauga on january 18, 2012.
and at that time to get sponsorship approval(stage 1) it took 48 days. but i know the wait is longer now.
and they transfered it to mexico city on april 5. 2012.
so its been about 4 months. and they have started to ask me for some final stuff.
so im hopeing we will get the visa before the end of the year

there is a couple people on the thread that got there visas after waiting only 5,6,7 months.

mexican2012

Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for the replies. In the event that the application is denied, and an appeal is done, how long can that take? Is it possible for the applicant to stay in Canada while waiting the decision when the application was done in mexico? If the applicant has to stay in mexico... what is the reason(s) for this?

-if it approved soon, does that mean that the applicant has PR or can just be here for a limited time?

thx for the thread im going through it.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mexican2012 said:
Thanks for the replies. In the event that the application is denied, and an appeal is done, how long can that take? Is it possible for the applicant to stay in Canada while waiting the decision when the application was done in mexico? If the applicant has to stay in mexico... what is the reason(s) for this?

-if it approved soon, does that mean that the applicant has PR or can just be here for a limited time?

thx for the thread im going through it.
You really dont want an appeal.
some people going through appeals have been waiting 2-3 years for their visas. it can take however long they want it to. its best to avoid an appeal from the get go.

if you apply outland yes the applicant can stay in canada. but if they are called for an interview they would need to go to mexico city to do the interview.

im sorry im not sure what you mean by "if the applicant has to stay in mexico what is the reason for this?"
if the applicant is in mexico when the application is filed, it would be difficult to get a visa to come visit mexico untill the process is done. not impossible but very difficult.

im also not exactly sure what you mean by the last question.

once the application is approved and the visa is awarded, the applicant gets a COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) and they have to land in canada with their visa by a certain date, than the PR card will be mailed to there house and they can stay in canada forever under PR. but the rules are as a PR they have to stay in canada for 2 or 3(i cant remeber which) years out of 5. if they stay out of canada for to long they will lose their PR.

:)

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
If i were you, i wouldnt worry about being denied and appealing, I would focus on gathering the evidence to get approved the first time!

mexican2012

Aug 7, 2012
Ok, so an applicant from Mexico can stay in Canada while awaiting the decision after the application was sent outland. But have any of you heard of incidents where the applicant would not be able to enter Canada while awaiting the decision? If so, what type of reasons would require an applicant to stay in mexico while waiting the decision?

-Has there been success for applicants who meet their sponsor in Canada, marry a month or so after first meeting each other, then applying for sponsorship and applying to sponsor the spouse whose from mexico just a couple of months after the marriage? If you do not know, do any of you know where I can obtain facts on these scenarios and how the government sees this type of application?

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
Well like I said, no one can really give you an answer to that.. but from what I have read this could potentially be a big red flag for them so you have to be prepared to give a lot of proof the relationship is genuine.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mexican2012 said:
Ok, so an applicant from Mexico can stay in Canada while awaiting the decision after the application was sent outland. But have any of you heard of incidents where the applicant would not be able to enter Canada while awaiting the decision? If so, what type of reasons would require an applicant to stay in mexico while waiting the decision?

-Has there been success for applicants who meet their sponsor in Canada, marry a month or so after first meeting each other, then applying for sponsorship and applying to sponsor the spouse whose from mexico just a couple of months after the marriage? If you do not know, do any of you know where I can obtain facts on these scenarios and how the government sees this type of application?
1) reasons would be, if the applicant was caught illegally in canada either visiting or working. and they were deported, or asked to leave for a certain amount of time, or if they were a denied refugee. than they would not be allowed to wait in canada while the process is in progress. they would only be allowed to reenter once they have the visa.
those would be the main reasons. but if you are in canada legally, either as a tourist, student or work visa, you would be allowed to stay while you wait.
Also if you are illegal and you send your application and step 1 gets approved without you getting caught first. than you are allowed to stay untill the process is complete. but only if they dont catch you before step 1 is approved. if you send in your application and they catch you before step 1, you will be asked to leave untill the process is complete.

2) I havent heard of any cases like that, So i really dont know what to tell you. maybe try contacting an immigration lawyer or consultant for a free consultation they can better help you to see the chances of it getting approved. like MC1234 said you will be ALOT of evidence to prove its genuine after only 1 month and not just for immigration purposes.

but honestly i would wait a few months after getting married to apply.

is there a reason why you need to apply directly after getting married?

mexican2012

Aug 7, 2012
Do any of you have spouses in mexico waiting to be approved while you are in Canada? If so, why aren't they in Canada with you? is it because you are going through the same situation mentioned above?
-This is all information that i wanted to obtain, there is no way i am planning on doing this. I saw the process you have to go through and the process isn't for me.
but I really appreciate your feedback it has helped me understand it alot more.

mc1234

Champion Member
Aug 30, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2012
Doc's Request.
20/08/2012 - PGR and SSP
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
24/07/2012
Med's Done....
12-04-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
08-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
15-11-2012
LANDED..........
23-11-2012
My spouse is in Canada with me on a valid visitor visa. The process is hard but its something you will have to do if you want your husband to live in Canada with you permanently.. There is no way around applying for PR. My spouse has to maintain valid status as he waits for PR which means we renew his visitor visa every 6 months to ensure he maintains legal status here. You can be in Canada while you apply for PR outland to Mexico, but they are two separate things. You have to make sure he can maintain legal status while he applies for PR.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
mexican2012 said:
Do any of you have spouses in mexico waiting to be approved while you are in Canada? If so, why aren't they in Canada with you? is it because you are going through the same situation mentioned above?
-This is all information that i wanted to obtain, there is no way i am planning on doing this. I saw the process you have to go through and the process isn't for me.
but I really appreciate your feedback it has helped me understand it alot more.
I am a canadian in mexico waiting with my spouse here.

If you dont want to be away from your husband why dont you come down to mexico and wait here with him and enjoy the country.
Its beautiful.

This is a hard process, but its nothing compared to what you get from it. we wait a few months to be able to spend the rest of our lives with the person we love. when i look at it that way the wait doesnt seem so bad at all. but if you want to be with your husband than thats what you have to do to make it happen.

It seems like your heart isnt in the right place and you arent sponsorsing your husband for the right reasons.
So maybe its best you dont go through the process than if being apart or waiting it out is to hard to overcome.

Anyways Best of luck to you.
glad we could help! :)

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
The reasons they are waiting in separate countries are, I would say, financial reasons, job or school obligations, visa issues, and maybe family situations. It becomes hard to get visitor visa once your PR application is filed. If you are able to file an application while the applicant is in Canada, he or she must remain the legal status. Unless he or she is here on work permit (and to some extent study permit), they are not allowed to work, not eligible for medical benefits. So either sponsor has to support additional member (applicant) or the applicant will need a lot of savings.

Getting married within a month of meeting and filing application right after would most likely flag the officers even if you have a lot of evidence (you might be able to have quantity but probably not quality), and thus it would be either take longer than 80% of applicants' processing time or denied. Developing relationship and quality of evidence would, in the end, save time and money.

And if you are the potential sponsor, you will have to be responsible for financial situation (not being able to apply for social benefits) for your partner for 3 years once he / she has received PR even if your relationship does not last.

For your consideration...