+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Sponsering Russian Fiancee

canuck001

Nov 15, 2017
Hi all,

I have been in a relationship with girl who I had proposed last month. We have been together for over a year and tend to travel for weeks to see each other (sometimes she comes here and sometimes I have traveled to Russia).
  • She has valid visitor visa for couple of more years.
  • She is single - never married
  • I am divorced
  • We have obviously met families and friends
  • traveled for vacations
  • Have hundreds of pictures (she hates me for it but then loves seeing them soon after :p)
And now - we have decided that it's best that she moves in with me and then we plan on getting married in Fall of 2018.

I have the following questions:
  1. When she is visiting - what shall she tell the Immigration? Visiting bf or visiting fiance?
  2. How long can she stay on a visitor visa? 3 months, 6 months, a year or up until it expires?
  3. We were planning to get married in Ontario or Quebec? Which one would be easier?
  4. Would it be better to get married in another country instead of within Canada? if so, recommendations?
  5. Inland vs Outland Application?
    1. I have no doubt that the application will be accepted however I have read terrifying stories; what is the re-appeal process or re-submission of application? Can it be re-submitted internally or will it have to be outland?
    2. What is the processing time?
    3. Work permit?
  6. Would getting married (registration) be sufficient to process the application while we wait till Fall to have the Ceremonies?
  7. Is Travelling and issue with either In-land or Out-land application? We both want to make sure that she can travel without negatively impacting us living together and the application
  8. Would my foreign divorce (initially married in Ontario) need to be registered in the province that we are getting married or let's say the foreign divorce is registered in Quebec - can I take this certificate and use it in Ontario?
  9. Would it be recommended that she applies for Express Entry (her score comes around 390) and if that doesn't work then go through the route of sponsorship? Or would this create a problem at CIC?
I would appreciate if some can clarify these for me.

Thank you!

M.steele

Star Member
Aug 11, 2016
Hi all,

I have been in a relationship with girl who I had proposed last month. We have been together for over a year and tend to travel for weeks to see each other (sometimes she comes here and sometimes I have traveled to Russia).
  • She has valid visitor visa for couple of more years.
  • She is single - never married
  • I am divorced
  • We have obviously met families and friends
  • traveled for vacations
  • Have hundreds of pictures (she hates me for it but then loves seeing them soon after :p)
And now - we have decided that it's best that she moves in with me and then we plan on getting married in Fall of 2018.

I have the following questions:
  1. When she is visiting - what shall she tell the Immigration? Visiting bf or visiting fiance?
  2. How long can she stay on a visitor visa? 3 months, 6 months, a year or up until it expires?
  3. We were planning to get married in Ontario or Quebec? Which one would be easier?
  4. Would it be better to get married in another country instead of within Canada? if so, recommendations?
    1. I have no doubt that the application will be accepted however I have read terrifying stories; what is the re-appeal process or re-submission of application? Can it be re-submitted internally or will it have to be outland?
    3. Work permit?
  6. Would getting married (registration) be sufficient to process the application while we wait till Fall to have the Ceremonies?
  7. Is Travelling and issue with either In-land or Out-land application? We both want to make sure that she can travel without negatively impacting us living together and the application
  8. Would my foreign divorce (initially married in Ontario) need to be registered in the province that we are getting married or let's say the foreign divorce is registered in Quebec - can I take this certificate and use it in Ontario?
  9. Would it be recommended that she applies for Express Entry (her score comes around 390) and if that doesn't work then go through the route of sponsorship? Or would this create a problem at CIC?
I would appreciate if some can clarify these for me.

Thank you!
1. If your application is denied then you can only appeal if it was an outland application.
2. Depends on what visitor visa she has.
3. Doesn't matter.
4. Doesn't matter but Canada will probably be easier.
5. Processing time carries but expect 12 months or more depending on the application. You can only get a work permit with an inland application.
6. Yes but you will need lots of relationship proof and that others know about your relationship. You will have to detail your plans to cic.
7. She can't travel out of Canada with an inland application. She will be denied entry back to Canada and application canceled.
8. Doesn't matter.
9. I don't know anything about EE but if she is denied one application it will be difficult to prove the next. You will need lots of proof.

When she is coming into Canada on the tourist visa she needs to prove that she will be going back home as she currently only has a tourist visa. If the visa officer believes there is a risk of her over staying she would be denied entry.

I'm also not the most knowledgeable I just completed my wife's app so you may also want to wait for others opinions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
    3. Work permit?
Hi

1. Either.

2. The standard is 6 months upon entry but it is always up to CBSA; sometimes they give a shorter time. She can apply for an extension if needed. The validity of her TRV has nothing to do with how long she can stay.

3. It is fairly simple to get married anywhere in Canada. If you want specifics for each province, head to Google.

4. Doesn't matter where you get married.

5. If she is in Canada with you, you can apply inland or outland. Posted processing time for both is a year; outland is generally faster than inland but no guarantees. OWP is only available with inland.

6. It's fine to just do a civil marriage and apply.

7. If she intends to leave Canada during the process, she is advised to apply outland, as there is no guarantee of re-entry.

8. Google.

9. 390 is low and there is little chance she would be successful unless she qualifies through one of the PNP programs. She can certainly try and that will have no impact on a spousal app.