+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian resident,US permanent resident importing car bought in US

Greys Rock

Apr 9, 2019
Hi All,
I'm finding so much confusing information on this topic and the government/border/riv websites are not clear on this topic so I am hoping someone here has experience with this.

My husband is a Canadian citizen, and a US permanent resident. He lived in California for 4 years, during which time he bought a vehicle there, financed through his US bank. He returned to Canada in March of 2017, but at the time was on a temporary basis due to some family issues and was unsure if he was staying. He had a letter from the bank allowing the car into the country on a temporary basis, and proper out of country insurance coverage from his US provider. Upon entry to Canada, he was not required to import the car but was told if he decided to stay to be sure to do so. He decided after about 6 months that he was staying. He contacted his bank to see if they would let him import the car with the proper letter from them, copy of title etc. and they said yes. They started the process then suddenly decided they would not allow it. The only way he could do it is if he bought out the car, and got the title in hand. It took a year to rebuild his Canadian credit so he could get a loan to buy out the car, so the car has been sitting unable to be driven for a year. He finally got the title a few weeks ago, and got everything ready to import the car. We have read the 72 hour rule about notifying the border about the export, but didn't think that would apply if the car had already left the country on a temporary basis and is no longer in the US. We are now reading on other websites that not only must the export still be done (ok fine) but that the car must remain in the US for those 72 hours. None of the government websites or US/Canada Customs say this. I can understand if the car hasn't left the US at that point, but he doesn't live there now. Are we seriously supposed to return the car to the US for 72 hours?? Has anyone done this and not had to return their car to the US?

Last edited:

z0mbie

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Hi All,
I'm finding so much confusing information on this topic and the government/border/riv websites are not clear on this topic so I am hoping someone here has experience with this.

My husband is a Canadian citizen, and a US permanent resident. He lived in California for 4 years, during which time he bought a vehicle there, financed through his US bank. He returned to Canada in March of 2017, but at the time was on a temporary basis due to some family issues and was unsure if he was staying. He had a letter from the bank allowing the car into the country on a temporary basis, and proper out of country insurance coverage from his US provider. Upon entry to Canada, he was not required to import the car but was told if he decided to stay to be sure to do so. He decided after about 6 months that he was staying. He contacted his bank to see if they would let him import the car with the proper letter from them, copy of title etc. and they said yes. They started the process then suddenly decided they would not allow it. The only way he could do it is if he bought out the car, and got the title in hand. It took a year to rebuild his Canadian credit so he could get a loan to buy out the car, so the car has been sitting unable to be driven for a year. He finally got the title a few weeks ago, and got everything ready to import the car. We have read the 72 hour rule about notifying the border about the export, but didn't think that would apply if the car had already left the country on a temporary basis and is no longer in the US. We are now reading on other websites that not only must the export still be done (ok fine) but that the car must remain in the US for those 72 hours. None of the government websites or US/Canada Customs say this. I can understand if the car hasn't left the US at that point, but he doesn't live there now. Are we seriously supposed to return the car to the US for 72 hours?? Has anyone done this and not had to return their car to the US?
You will have to bring the car back to US and keep it there for 72 hours. That is the US customs requirement for exporting the car. Also, there are other requirements. Checkout the link below:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/307/~/requirements-for-exporting-a-vehicle-(including:-snowmobile,-atv-and-motorcycle)