+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian pr's getting 10 year multiple visa to usa ?!

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015

Hi all

could anyone who applied to usa visit b1/b2 visa share confirm this . is it true that those who hold permanent residency status in Canada get 10 year multiple entry visa to the statement regardless of your country of origin?

many members have confirmed this on the forum but in the same time others mentioned that the validity of the visa they get is the same which they used to get in their home countries before they become a PR of Canada

so could anybody with recent experience shed some light on this , is there a rule or those who are getting 10 year are simply getting lucky!

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
could anyone who applied to usa visit b1/b2 visa share confirm this . is it true that those who hold permanent residency status in Canada get 10 year multiple entry visa to the statement regardless of your country of origin?
Answer: Yes, I received B1/B2 visa issued by US Consulate Toronto last year when I was a PR, and, it was for 10 Years! However, this is not guaranteed, the consulate reserves the right to decide whether to issue a visa or not. In other words, your Canadian PR does not guaranty a B1/B2 visa. It is unfair, because Canada allows US GCs into Canada without additional visas.

many members have confirmed this on the forum but in the same time others mentioned that the validity of the visa they get is the same which they used to get in their home countries before they become a PR of Canada
Answer: Yes, validity of the the visa is for 10 years. My previous B1/B2 was issued in Germany and it was for 10 years. I was not a Canadian PR then.

so could anybody with recent experience shed some light on this , is there a rule or those who are getting 10 year are simply getting lucky!
Answer: If your application for B1/B2 is successful, they will issue it with 10 year validity, I am 99%sure about this. I have been issued 3 B1/B2s in the past 15 years and all of them were for 10 years...

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Answer: Yes, I received B1/B2 visa issued by US Consulate Toronto last year when I was a PR, and, it was for 10 Years! However, this is not guaranteed, the consulate reserves the right to decide whether to issue a visa or not. In other words, your Canadian PR does not guaranty a B1/B2 visa. It is unfair, because Canada allows US GCs into Canada without additional visas.

Answer: Yes, validity of the the visa is for 10 years. My previous B1/B2 was issued in Germany and it was for 10 years. I was not a Canadian PR then.

Answer: If your application for B1/B2 is successful, they will issue it with 10 year validity, I am 99%sure about this. I have been issued 3 B1/B2s in the past 15 years and all of them were for 10 years...
Thanks a Ton hamiltonaplicant ,I just edited this answer, as it seems you already got a 10 year multiple with your origional passport before coming a PR , so for sure they will give you 10 years again ;) , my question is specifically for those who are getting 1 or 2 years in their home countries , does the PR increase the visa time to 10 years
( assuming you have a successful application and proof of enough ties)
Another question which is out of the scoop of the question but its really puzzling me , WHY are you still applying for visas to the usa if you are a PR for 15 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers mate

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Thanks a Ton hamiltonaplicant ,I just edited this answer, as it seems you already got a 10 year multiple with your origional passport before coming a PR , so for sure they will give you 10 years again ;) , my question is specifically for those who are getting 1 or 2 years in their home countries , does the PR increase the visa time to 10 years
( assuming you have a successful application and proof of enough ties)
Another question which is out of the scoop of the question but its really puzzling me , WHY are you still applying for visas to the usa if you are a PR for 15 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers mate
I applied for the first time for B1/B2 in 2001 while I was a guest worker in Germany; much my surprise, I got 10 year B1/B2! When discussed this with some of my compatriots, they said the default validity of B1/B2 had been changed to 10 years! In 2006 I applied for B1/B2 in Germany after a name change, I got another 10 Yr B1/B2. I became a PR in 2010, My 2nd B1/B2 expired in 2016, and I applied for another B1/B2 as a PR for the first time, I got my 3rd 10 Yr Visa.

My point is, I think, with 99% certainty, the default validity of B1/B2 is 10 years!

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
thanks friend , but it seems from what i'm reading it depends upon your country of origion , for example if getting a 10 year multiple entry is not a possible at your home country then it is impossible to get if even if you have a pr and strong ties to canada

regards

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
thanks friend , but it seems from what i'm reading it depends upon your country of origion , for example if getting a 10 year multiple entry is not a possible at your home country then it is impossible to get if even if you have a pr and strong ties to canada

regards
Finally I grasped the essence of your question, I should read forum messages more carefully.

Looks like it! For example, According to https://bf.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas-tourism-visit/how-to-apply/tourism-business-b1b2/
"B1/B2 visas for Burkinabe citizens are valid for five years." In the case of Burkinabe citizen with Canadian PR applying for B1/B2 will most probably get the visa with 5 years. US gov no longer attach much value to PR, during the good old days, Canadian PRs could travel to US by showing their landing papers, even PR card was not required...

In addition. US consulate software has become a lot more sophisticated and employees do not make mistake as they used to before.

Finally some positive feedback, applying from Canada and having a Canadian PR, greatly enhances the applicant's overall chance of getting B1/B2 issued, good luck!

Last edited:

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Finally I grasped the essence of your question, I should read forum messages more carefully.

Looks like it! For example, According to https://bf.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas-tourism-visit/how-to-apply/tourism-business-b1b2/
"B1/B2 visas for Burkinabe citizens are valid for five years." In the case of Burkinabe citizen Canadian PR applying for B1/B2 will most probably get the visa with 5 years. US gov no longer attach much value PR, during good old days, Canadian PRs could travel to by showing their landing papers, even PR card was not required...

In addition. US consulate software has become a lot more sophisticated and employees do not make mistake as they used to before.

Finally some positive feedback, applying from Canada and having a Canadian PR, greatly enhances the applicant's overall chance of getting B1/B2 issued, good luck!
Thanks

Thiru mani

Oct 19, 2017
Tamilnadu india
Category........
Visa Office......
Bangalore
Hi frnd I got b1 10 years multiple entry visa last week QUOTE="cooldoc80, post: 6174766, member: 72503"]
Hi all

so could anybody with recent experience shed some light on this , is there a rule or those who are getting 10 year are simply getting lucky![/QUOT

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hi frnd I got b1 10 years multiple entry visa last week QUOTE="cooldoc80, post: 6174766, member: 72503"]
Hi all

The answer is yes and no....no for the highlighted part...and yes for the rest.

I come from a country that has been in the US sanctions list for a long time, and every-time i apply for a US visa they only give me 3 months one entry...mind you, they also question me in the border...but truth to be told, they have always been respectful while doing that.
As for my ties...i'm a PR, have a permanent job in one of the big 5 banks, own my home in canada and have always had proof of sufficient funds ...reason for my trips was to visit first siblings & parent.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all

so could anybody with recent experience shed some light on this , is there a rule or those who are getting 10 year are simply getting lucky![/QUOT
As per post above as far as US is concerned they still are influenced by the passport someone holds not by their residence status which likely only shows them someone has reasons to not stay in the US beyond their authorised stay.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Hi all

They give 10 years as default to all- my spouse and small kids (aged 5 and 6) got 10 years with no documents asked back in April 2017.
FYI- they applied at the US Embassy in New Delhi. We also didn't have a Canadian PR back then, and don't reckon having a PR will enhance your chances.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
There is an understanding or agreement with Govt of India and U.S authorities to issue 10 year B1/B2 visa for all India citizens if there is nothing else preventing for the US visa issuance.This subject line of this post is misleading, it has nothing to do with having Canada PR. Similarly, Canada nowadays issues TRV to India citizens valid till the validity of their India passport. I have several friends of mine informing of this. These are the agreements at the respective governments level.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
They give 10 years as default to all
That would be incorrect. As with all visa's, the length they give is based on your country of origin, travel history and risk of over staying. Try and get a US visa if you are a refugee, or have a history of over staying or deportation......not likely to happen!

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
That would be incorrect. As with all visa's, the length they give is based on your country of origin, travel history and risk of over staying. Try and get a US visa if you are a refugee, or have a history of over staying or deportation......not likely to happen!
What I was alluding to is 10 years validity for those who receive US B1/B2 Visas in India to Indian nationals- didn’t consider refusals or previous travel history. Hope this makes sense.

SDS

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi,

I have a related question.

I apply for USA visa from Canada ( I am PR holder in Canda) At the time of application, my tentative travel dates are the end of this month ( June ends) and mentioned hotel address as USA contact. However, when I reserve time for visa interview, the date I received is after two months (July end). I am worrying that will affect negatively in my visa application as my travel dates are before the visa interview days. I am planning to reschedule my travel days after receiving the visa.

Appreciate any comments how to manage this issue at the interview.

Thanks... :) :) :)