+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR sponsors spouse - financial requirement

Canada082012

Aug 14, 2012
Hi:

I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident, I will get married in 6 months, I'm wondering if I am exempt from the financial requirement to sponsor my soon to be wife to immigate to Canada? Because I've just arrived in Canada and I haven't filed a tax return yet, I'm just doing part-time job at the moment, am I still eligible to sponsor my wife? Please advise, thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canada082012 said:
Hi:

I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident, I will get married in 6 months, I'm wondering if I am exempt from the financial requirement to sponsor my soon to be wife to immigate to Canada? Because I've just arrived in Canada and I haven't filed a tax return yet, I'm just doing part-time job at the moment, am I still eligible to sponsor my wife? Please advise, thanks.
You just need to show you have a job and your wife will easily get a job in Canada (if she has education or if she speaks English fluently). Option C from CRA is needed, but if you have last year's taxes from your home country, that would work too :)

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
You do not need to have any income to sponsor your wife. Same applications and checklists are used to sponsor spouse, parents, kids, etc. On CIC website, they say that you do not need to provide proof of income to sponsor your spouse.

Look:
In order to sponsor, you must…
prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner’s dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.

Wel28

Oct 1, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 30, 2013
File Transfer...
June 25 2013 (CEM)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 13 2014 Visa on Hand
LANDED..........
Sept 5 2014. Love u Lord God ikaw na bahala =)
hi everyone,

I just wanna know ur insights regarding my situation: Im 24 yrs old male, came to Canada with dependent visa to my father sw1 . We came here as family iimigrant last april 2012. I worked for 1 month only and started to pursue for my nursing career. Now im still waiting to be registered in College of NUrses of ONtario. So while waiting I went back to the philippines to marry my fiancee for 7 years, but i stayed in toronto for 4 months. Ill be coming back to Toronto on last week of OCtober. Can i sponsor her without a job? What steps do i need to take in order for me to apply for her visa?

Thanks in advance!

lucky4canada

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04th Dec, 2012
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
19th Dec, 2012
IELTS Request
N.A.
File Transfer...
15th Jan, 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Passport Req..
28th feb, 2013
Hi All, Need advice urgently on this....

I landed on 29th of September, 2012 on immigration basis as permanent resident under FSW program. At the time of putting up my application for P.R. I had shown my wife & 2 kids as non-accompanying family members who will be sponsored later on under family class. I had paid the application fee for my self only at that time. In the processing of the case medicals for all the family members was requested and got done and alos funds for a family of 4 was required to be shown. Now my question is as under:-

1. AS I am un-employed till now, can I sponsor my wife and kids under family class.
2. I plan to return to India as and when I recieve my PR card. Will that affect in any way my application of sponsorship of spouse and kids?
3. As medicals have already been done and proof of it was submitted to the visa office at India. How do I send the second copy of medical proofs as requested now with the application kit?
4. Do I need to send again the immigration forms (eg. Generic, Dependent declaration etc.) & other doc's such as marriage certificate, police clearance certificates which were already submitted by me alongwith my application for FSW.

Pls reply.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lucky4canada said:
Hi All, Need advice urgently on this....

I landed on 29th of September, 2012 on immigration basis as permanent resident under FSW program. At the time of putting up my application for P.R. I had shown my wife & 2 kids as non-accompanying family members who will be sponsored later on under family class. I had paid the application fee for my self only at that time. In the processing of the case medicals for all the family members was requested and got done and alos funds for a family of 4 was required to be shown. Now my question is as under:-

1. AS I am un-employed till now, can I sponsor my wife and kids under family class.
2. I plan to return to India as and when I recieve my PR card. Will that affect in any way my application of sponsorship of spouse and kids?
3. As medicals have already been done and proof of it was submitted to the visa office at India. How do I send the second copy of medical proofs as requested now with the application kit?
4. Do I need to send again the immigration forms (eg. Generic, Dependent declaration etc.) & other doc's such as marriage certificate, police clearance certificates which were already submitted by me alongwith my application for FSW.

Pls reply.
1. You can, but you will have difficulty proving that you will be able to support them without resorting to welfare if you don't have an income.
2. No, you have to remain in Canada from the date the application/sponsorship is submitted to the date the person becomes a PR. A short vacation max about 4 weeks if fine.
3. You send a new complete application and probably a new medical depending on the date they had their medicals. As the medical is only valid for a year.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
lucky4canada said:
Yes. You do not need a job or proof of an income, but you do have to satisfy the visa officer that you and your wife can support yourselves and the children when she gets her PR. So any proof of the ability to get a job on your wife's part would help: educational certificates, proof she knows English or French, etc. You should also include proof of savings and investments, and a plan of how you are going to support yourselves once the family arrives.
Again, the job and money are not a requirement to be approved to sponsor your wife and kids, but if you have no job and no money and no plan to provide for them, the applications can be refused.
Yes. A PR has to stay in Canada to sponsor a spouse and children. Short visits are allowed, but if you spend months away, and the visa officer finds out, the applications will be rejected.

As this is a new application, I thhink you have to redo everything.

Canada082012

Aug 14, 2012
Godzilla9 said:
You do not need to have any income to sponsor your wife. Same applications and checklists are used to sponsor spouse, parents, kids, etc. On CIC website, they say that you do not need to provide proof of income to sponsor your spouse.

Look:
In order to sponsor, you must...
prove that you have sufficient income to provide basic requirements for your spouse or common-law partner's dependent children. To do this, you must provide documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months. This requirement applies only when dependent children who have dependent children of their own are included on the application.
thanks, but why in the checklist (IMM5443E.pdf) on CIC website (please google search) for sponsoring spouse, it requires "Option C Notice of Assessment"

Please clarify with me, thanks.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canada082012 said:
thanks, but why in the checklist (IMM5443E.pdf) on CIC website (please google search) for sponsoring spouse, it requires "Option C Notice of Assessment"

Please clarify with me, thanks.
To show you are not receiving welfare and can support a family.

Canada082012

Aug 14, 2012
parker24 said:
To show you are not receiving welfare and can support a family.
But if I've just arrived in Canada for a couple of months, I've not filed a tax return yet, how can I obtain this document from CRA? I thought the rule is that there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship and as long as I'm not on the welfare and I can support myself and my wife for basic living then I should be Okay to sponsor my wife.

Please advise how can I get around this requirement of submitting the "Option C Notice of Assessment" from CRA? Thanks

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Canada082012 said:
But if I've just arrived in Canada for a couple of months, I've not filed a tax return yet, how can I obtain this document from CRA? I thought the rule is that there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsorship and as long as I'm not on the welfare and I can support myself and my wife for basic living then I should be Okay to sponsor my wife.

Please advise how can I get around this requirement of submitting the "Option C Notice of Assessment" from CRA? Thanks
Do you have any tax papers from your previous country you were in? That would help. Plus a letter from your employer stating your wages and hours works as well. You also should explain why you don't have Option C and how you and your spouse will be able to support the family (ie. both speak fluent English, can get a job easily. One of you has a degree in this or that)

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
In such case you just need to provide last year income. It's not the requirement, as for spousal sponsorship you do not need to have an income. It's good to provide this in order to show that you can earn money and sustain yourself and your family.
Option C is not the requirement. It's written as required because same form is used for sponsoring your parents.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Canada082012 said:
The Option C will prove that you were not on welfare. It is a requirement, but only if you can in fact get one. If you cannot, then you submit the kinds of proof the above posters mentioned: pay stubs from your job outside of Canada or an employment letter, tax forms from the foreign country, etc. Also include a letter explaining why you do not have an Option C. Many people have been approved as sponsors without an Option C, as long as they have a valid reason for not submitting one. Your reason is fine.

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
canadianwoman said:
The Option C will prove that you were not on welfare. It is a requirement, but only if you can in fact get one. If you cannot, then you submit the kinds of proof the above posters mentioned: pay stubs from your job outside of Canada or an employment letter, tax forms from the foreign country, etc. Also include a letter explaining why you do not have an Option C. Many people have been approved as sponsors without an Option C, as long as they have a valid reason for not submitting one. Your reason is fine.
Do you mean we HAVE to provide the justification why did not submit the Option C? I submitted my foreign paystubs, bank account statement showing money coming to the account, and did not Option C. I did not provide any justification why there is no Option C.

greenoil

Star Member
May 3, 2012
One thing you guys have to be aware is the "basic requirement" for spousal support using Canada living standard. Making 400-500 USD/month in some countries, immigrate and then sponsor your spouse with that financial support evidence won't be enough. I read on a Canadian government website (can't remember where), you need to make a little >20k, with one dependent around 28k. So to be safe, you guys need to prove a stable income of 30k/year minimum. Living with 30k/y in Canada is very tough for any couple anywhere in Canada.
Oh, have I mentioned those are gross, your net income will be a lot less.