+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian police certificate

Lynn-ji

Jun 2, 2011
I lived in Montreal for 7 years in the 1970's. I am a U.S. citizen, and my Canadian husband and I live in the U.S. Since we lived in Montreal for more than 6 months, am I required to get a Canadian police certificate or do they just mean countries outside of Canada? If needed, how do I get one from here (Florida)?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn-ji said:
I lived in Montreal for 7 years in the 1970's. I am a U.S. citizen, and my Canadian husband and I live in the U.S. Since we lived in Montreal for more than 6 months, am I required to get a Canadian police certificate or do they just mean countries outside of Canada? If needed, how do I get one from here (Florida)?
Were you granted PR back then? You may not have lost it. You might want to send a message to PMM. He knows the history of the Acts for immigration to Canada.

In any event, CIC will contact the RCMP for the police clearance themselves. They will let you know if they need you to do a fingerprint check and provide you with instructions about how to obtain one. Or you could look it up on the RCMP website.

Lynn-ji

Jun 2, 2011
It would be great if I haven't lost my PPR, but since it was in the 70's I may have. I saw a reference in the application form that it can be lost by abandoning residence in Canada. But it's worth checking. Thanks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lynn-ji said:
It would be great if I haven't lost my PPR, but since it was in the 70's I may have. I saw a reference in the application form that it can be lost by abandoning residence in Canada. But it's worth checking. Thanks.
Yes, but you can retain PR if you were accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse abroad. So maybe not! Good luck.

Lynn-ji

Jun 2, 2011
rjessome said:
Yes, but you can retain PR if you were accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse abroad. So maybe not! Good luck.
oh, wow, that would be great. I will certainly check it out. Thanks.