+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
I called today and got a file number. They said they are experiencing a backlog right now and processing time is around 5 to 6 weeks.
What the???! So many steps till citizenship and now endless waiting game till passport too?! I have flight on the Feb 20th and I have enough time to be able to get my passport normally but because of these reckless careless people I may not make it to my flight?! What do you guys recommend I am waiting for my certificate

Last edited:
Reactions: kathychang

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
What the???! So many steps till citisenship and now endless waiting game till passport too?! I have flight on the Feb 20th and I have enough time to be able to get my passport normally but because of these reckless careless people I may not make it to my flight?! What do you guys recommend I am waiting for my certificate
As soon as you get your certificate, you should book for in-person appointment and urgent processing for your passport. I presume you have booked your flight already.

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
I called today and got a file number. They said they are experiencing a backlog right now and processing time is around 5 to 6 weeks.
WHEN EVEN DON’T THEY EXPERIENCE A BACKLOG?!!! ENDLESS BACKLOG SINCE THE BEGINNING. GOD THEY DRIVE ME INSANE SINCE 2020! STILL BACKLOG! I don’t have my certificate delivered yet, it may take 2-4 weeks. So I should apply for express request in February? Should I get appointment or walk in? Thanks. Sick of this so badly

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
As soon as you get your certificate, you should book for in-person appointment and urgent processing for your passport. I presume you have booked your flight already.
It will take 2-4 weeks and I will have a few weeks left before my flight so I should apply for express or urgent one then right? Just saw 6 weeks of processing time here that means I can’t make it with regular processing.. So I should get an in person appointment, can I get the appointment before my certificate arrives or should I wait? Thanks!!

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
It will take 2-4 weeks and I will have a few weeks left before my flight so I should apply for express or urgent one then right? Just saw 6 weeks of processing time here that means I can’t make it with regular processing.. So I should get an in person appointment, can I get the appointment before my certificate arrives or should I wait? Thanks!!
If you can confidently estimate when the certificate will arrive, you should book the appointment as soon as possible. Maybe leave a few days buffer.
I think urgent processing takes only a few days, definitely less than a week.

Strawberry91

Star Member
Dec 7, 2021
If you can confidently estimate when the certificate will arrive, you should book the appointment as soon as possible. Maybe leave a few days buffer.
I think urgent processing takes only a few days, definitely less than a week.
I wish I could guess but they are so unpredictable.. Maybe should get appointment for like 1-2 weeks before my flight..

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
(Reposting in order to get a response)

When applying for canadian passport as a family (2 adults, 1 minor):
1. Can I mail the applications together in one envelope (including our citizenship certificates), or does each person's application have to be mailed separately?
2. Must we all have the same Guarantor and references?
3. Does the Guarantor have to attest on the same passport photo that was signed by the photographer, or can he attest on the 2nd passport photo?

Reactions: Kornet

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
(Reposting in order to get a response)

When applying for canadian passport as a family (2 adults, 1 minor):
1. Can I mail the applications together in one envelope (including our citizenship certificates), or does each person's application have to be mailed separately?
2. Must we all have the same Guarantor and references?
3. Does the Guarantor have to attest on the same passport photo that was signed by the photographer, or can he attest on the 2nd passport photo?
1: Yes, you can mail all applications in one envelope. I had put each individual application in a separate packet and then labeled it. Then I had put all these separate packets into one envelope and that’s it.

I got a confirmation yesterday that our applications are complete and we should get our passports soon.

2: in my case, I used the same guarantor and references but I see no reason why anyone cannot use different (as long as each of the guarantor and reference that you use qualify respective requirements).

3: for the sake of extra caution, I had both photos stamped by the photo guy and signed by the guarantor. I didn’t want to take a risk of having applications returned back to us.

Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

Reactions: abhinavsharma

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
I got a similar timeline.

Appl. delivered on Dec 9th (mailed from the US).
Card charged on Dec 14th.

I sent a status request online two weeks after the application was delivered. Received an email that they cannot find my application in their system. Immediately called them after that. The agent said that they entered incorrectly my year of birth that's why they couldn't find my application.
The agent also said that I would be hearing something from them by Jan 12. If not, I should call again...
ohh, that’s too bad. I guess you should keep calling them every few days.

i hope they find your applications soon.

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
1: Yes, you can mail all applications in one envelope. I had put each individual application in a separate packet and then labeled it. Then I had put all these separate packets into one envelope and that’s it.

I got a confirmation yesterday that our applications are complete and we should get our passports soon.

2: in my case, I used the same guarantor and references but I see no reason why anyone cannot use different (as long as each of the guarantor and reference that you use qualify respective requirements).

3: for the sake of extra caution, I had both photos stamped by the photo guy and signed by the guarantor. I didn’t want to take a risk of having applications returned back to us.

Thanks a lot @mandhaata

wstrn24

Feb 23, 2017
London, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

What was your timeline? Not sure if I should do in person or mail in...

Almostther

Star Member
Jan 17, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All, Anybody's credit card got charged this year recently. My application was received on December 29th. the credit card hasn't been charged yet. Thanks!

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
What was your timeline? Not sure if I should do in person or mail in...
Application reached Gatineau: Dec 07
Card charged: Dec 11
Passport printed (they confirmed when I called the helpline today): Jan 11

Awaiting shipment now (phone rep said, it will be shipped either today or the next business day) and that I can call them in 2-3 days and they will share the tracking numbers.

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Appl. delivered on Dec 9th (mailed from the US).
Card charged on Dec 14th.

I sent a status request online two weeks after the application was delivered. Received an email that they cannot find my application in their system. Immediately called them after that. The agent said that they entered incorrectly my year of birth that's why they couldn't find my application.
The agent also said that I would be hearing something from them by Jan 12. If not, I should call again...
Guys, my passport was delivered on Jan 11th to my US address by FedEx. The passport is very good looking! Worth waiting a bit… :)
Looks like I’m a real Canadien now!.. I’m very happy!
:)

Good luck, everyone!