+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

t1908

Jun 6, 2022
Thank you for the detail!! I will be calling for a transfer next week (10 business days before travel), is it worth skipping the phones and just heading to the passport centre? Or do they only transfer you when you have 2 days to go?
I don't know if the phone transfer request helped me at all, but I don't think it made a difference at all. At the passport office there were people in the same transfer line as me who had called in for a transfer, but got no response as well and people who lined up to request the transfer in person of their pending application. If I had to do it again, I would save the couple of hours wasted trying to get through to the 1-800 number and just request the transfer in person. I think you have to travel within 10 days, but you won't get it back until 2 days before your trip anyway Again, this is for the North York office. From other posts, it seems like the Kitchener office actual calls people back to fax their proof of travel, etc. who have transferred their file over the phone

Reactions: Deedle

SShehata

Star Member
Sep 30, 2018
I don't know if the phone transfer request helped me at all, but I don't think it made a difference at all. At the passport office there were people in the same transfer line as me who had called in for a transfer, but got no response as well and people who lined up to request the transfer in person of their pending application. If I had to do it again, I would save the couple of hours wasted trying to get through to the 1-800 number and just request the transfer in person. I think you have to travel within 10 days, but you won't get it back until 2 days before your trip anyway Again, this is for the North York office. From other posts, it seems like the Kitchener office actual calls people back to fax their proof of travel, etc. who have transferred their file over the phone
Thanks for sharing your experience! What kind of proof are they looking for please?
It's my son's first passport and I need a passport number to purchase the ticket!
I applied for him in person by an appointment on May 4th and they said mailing out date on Jun 2nd but nothing of course!
Travel date supposed to be Jun 24th!
What do I do now?!

scuba ken

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Payment taken on the 16th, how long roughly/approximately will it take to get the passport back now ?
1st application
been almost 3 months, sent to Villneave

Deedle

Star Member
May 5, 2014
thank you, appreciate all the info. I'm North York too or maybe downtown Toronto, we'll see. Either works for me.

Angeles87mike77

Star Member
Sep 25, 2017
Passport Canada gave me a updated this is the email sent to me

Please do not reply to this email.

Thank you for your message of April 29, 2022. We have received your passport application. Your file is in examination.

If you applied at a Service Canada Centre or by mail, your application may take up to 9 weeks to process. If you need your passport sooner, please visit a Passport Office with your proof of need or travel. For more details visit canada.ca/passport. Thank you for your patience and your understanding.

For information concerning your passport application, please contact us at 1-800-567-6868 from Monday to Friday, between 8:30 AM and 5 PM, your local time, except for statutory holidays. We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls; several attempts may be required to reach us.

Not sure what to take of this but just laugh it's been 10 and half week and it not even printed what joke

Sarajaved

Jul 10, 2017
Submitted our application in person at a service canada on 27th April. Mail out date was 3rd June, but obviously that's not how it works these days. Our travel date is 10th July. The agent on the phone asked me to call back June 23rd to request for a file transfer. The passport office closest to me is north york. But from what I've read here, north york passport office doesn't make any confirmation call. Is there anyone who chose scarborough or downtown passport office for their file transfer? Do they make a confirmation call? It would be super stressful if I don't get a call and have to wait and see. Which is inevitable tbh. Lol I don't want to line up again.

sshulman27

Jun 18, 2022
Hi e everyone,
I was in st-laurent, Quebec, and it's says that "currently passport services can only be offered to those traveling in the next 48 hours with proof of travel, or has an appointment. "
My trip July 20st. Is there any other way to apply in other passport service around Montreal that I can get in 10 days the passports. I have 3 applications. Is there any other option avoid paying urgent fees?

iSimran

Star Member
May 20, 2021
in person regular appointment no expedite passport
14 June 2022
got date to receive the passport on 23 rd June

Winnipeg location!

stella1004

Jun 19, 2022
Mailed in on May 15th from US but found my payment charge has been declined by the bank weeks ago
But the office did not return my application
Plan to travel back to Canada on June 30. Not sure what to do :(

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long does it take for them to mail the original documents?

Its been like 2 weeks, I haven't received the old documents.

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mailed in on May 15th from US but found my payment charge has been declined by the bank weeks ago
Same here, application was declined for some weird reason and they are not sending the original documents back. I requested to send the original 2 weeks ago and the agent on phone said, I should receive within a week.

Jun 17, 2022
You can apply to the nearest American consulate for an emergency passport. When we were living in the US (Canadian Citizens with a US visa), we had a situation that two of our children only had landing records for another 3 weeks due to the upcoming passport expiry. We were able to obtain the emergency passports (in Miami, we were living in Orlando) and travel within just a few days to have them re-enter the US and get new landing records.