+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

Jun 13, 2022
I am about to mail my kid's passport application.
We are married and we have the same names on the birth certificate. Is there any other document required except the original provincial birth certificate?
We wanted to travel in August, but seems like we'll have to delay.

canv_1234

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
Called them again today.. seems like mid and end march folks are getting their PP now. They also confirmed 9 weeks is not accurate and its more of 12 weeks plus as timelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: ms453

occamslaser

Aug 20, 2020
Got my passport yesterday (June 16). Here's my previous post for more details.

Short version: mail-in application sent April 28, received May 2. CC charged May 26. I had travel booked June 24 and had heard nothing by June 8 (12 business days) so called the main number to request a transfer. Took about 45 minutes to get on hold, then on hold for about 2 hours. Once connected it was all pretty straightforward and they transferred my file.

My local office (Kitchener) called me an hour or two later to confirm the transfer and say that I could pick up my passport June 17. I had to fax them proof of travel (easy enough with a web application - google is your friend here). I called June 10 and left a message asking if they could confirm they'd received the fax, but never heard back. I wasn't too bothered by this (I figured that no news was good news here; if they got a message asking if they'd received the fax and they hadn't, then I'd expect them to call, whereas if they had received the fax I figured they probably wouldn't waste time contacting me to say so).

I called them yesterday (June 16) to confirm that it was still fine to pick up on Friday (today). Took a lot of redials but eventually got through and they confirmed my passport was already printed and I could pick up immediately. Headed down to the office.

If you're picking up you don't have to line up - there wasn't actually much of a line (5-6 people) but this was at about 2pm so I assume this was just the last of the people who'd been lining up since the early hours. There was a huge pile of camping chairs strewn around the front of the line, which rather told the story. If you're there for pickup just go straight to the front and tell the security guard that's what you're there for. They'll direct you to a desk and after a short wait (one person in front of me) they'll call you over and ask for your ID and find your passport. In and out in maybe five minutes.

Overall it was a remarkably smooth process considering how much chaos there is otherwise. If I'd known 2 months ago what the process would be like I wouldn't have really had any worries or concerns, but of course it's the uncertainty that is exhausting.

Now I have my passport and am finally free of the immigration system (I submitted my citizenship application in February 2020) I am going to write to my MP. Maybe if enough of us do this they'll fix some of the broken parts of this system. I know they'll try and claim it's all the 'unprecedented' consequences of the pandemic (an excuse that cannot work forever), but there are fundamental issues that could be remedied, most notably the fact that you lose the ability to re-enter the country (on commercial transportation) by becoming a citizen even if you have a passport from another country. I have explained countless times to friends that yes, before I became a citizen I could leave/re-enter without issue, but the moment I became a citizen I lost that ability until I had my passport - every time I explain it they are completely baffled.

Good luck everyone still waiting.

Last edited:

canv_1234

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020

Short version: mail-in application sent April 28, received May 2. CC charged May 26. I had travel booked June 24 and had heard nothing by June 8 (12 business days) so called the main number to request a transfer. Took about 45 minutes to get on hold, then on hold for about 2 hours. Once connected it was all pretty straightforward and they transferred my file.

My local office (Kitchener) called me an hour or two later to confirm the transfer and say that I could pick up my passport June 17. I had to fax them proof of travel (easy enough with a web application - google is your friend here). I called June 10 and left a message asking if they could confirm they'd received the fax, but never heard back. I wasn't too bothered by this (I figured that no news was good news here; if they got a message asking if they'd received the fax and they hadn't, then I'd expect them to call, whereas if they had received the fax I figured they probably wouldn't waste time contacting me to say so).

I called them on Wednesday (June 15) to confirm that it was still fine to pick up on Friday (today). Took a lot of redials but eventually got through and they confirmed my passport was already printed and I could pick up immediately. Headed down to the office.

If you're picking up you don't have to line up - there wasn't actually much of a line (5-6 people) but this was at about 2pm so I assume this was just the last of the people who'd been lining up since the early hours. There was a huge pile of camping chairs strewn around the front of the line, which rather told the story. If you're there for pickup just go straight to the front and tell the security guard that's what you're there for. They'll direct you to a desk and after a short wait (one person in front of me) they'll call you over and ask for your ID and find your passport. In and out in maybe five minutes.

Overall it was a remarkably smooth process considering how much chaos there is otherwise. If I'd known 2 months ago what the process would be like I wouldn't have really had any worries or concerns, but of course it's the uncertainty that is exhausting.

Now I have my passport and am finally free of the immigration system (I submitted my citizenship application in February 2020) I am going to write to my MP. Maybe if enough of us do this they'll fix some of the broken parts of this system. I know they'll try and claim it's all the 'unprecedented' consequences of the pandemic (an excuse that cannot work forever), but there are fundamental issues that could be remedied, most notably the fact that you lose the ability to re-enter the country (on commercial transportation) by becoming a citizen even if you have a passport from another country. I have explained countless times to friends that yes, before I became a citizen I could leave/re-enter without issue, but the moment I became a citizen I lost that ability until I had my passport - every time I explain it they are completely baffled.

Congrats! Without travel dates they are taking their own sweet time :( which is unfortunate

Reactions: occamslaser

PetrVan

Aug 27, 2021
My timeline
- Application Sent: May 31, 2022 from Vancouver
- Application Delivered: June 1, 2022 to Gatineau
- No travel dates
- CC Charged: June 17, 2022

Reactions: rome5000

LNGHYNH

Jun 13, 2022

I called them yesterday (June 16) to confirm that it was still fine to pick up on Friday (today). Took a lot of redials but eventually got through and they confirmed my passport was already printed and I could pick up immediately. Headed down to the office.

Seems like the Kitchener office is doing much better than the Mississauga office. I called June 9th to have my son's application transferred for our travel June 24th and I have yet to receive any call for any additional information or to schedule a pick up. I'm hearing some people who have their applications transferred to Mississauga don't receive a call at all and just show up 48 hours before their travel in hopes that the passport is there.

anjanettem

Jun 14, 2022

wow, congrats!!! Atleast they called you so quick to confirm the file transfer. I called mine to get it transferred to North York on June 10th, still didn't hear anything from them. My travel date is on June 26th :(

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
Congrats!!! And thank you for such detailed description, it is appreciated. You do describe the process and hours spent on hold, I'd hardly call the process "smooth," hehe ;) Happy travels!

GuyanaGirl

Jul 4, 2016
Visa Office......
Kitchener
App. Filed.......
July, 20th 2016
Med's Request
Upfront

Happy to hear it all worked out for you .
I was hoping to hear from the Kitchener office about my transfer already after requesting it yesterday , but nothing yet .

nasif

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
16-06-2017
Nomination.....
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
16-08-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
26-02-2018
Passport Req..
25-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2018
LANDED..........
05-10-2018
I sent in a new passport application delivered by mail to mississagua on May 16. I have plans to drive down to Washington state second week of July. No Credit Card Charge as of yet.
Does anyone have the payment line for passport canada?
(833) 407-1031

Aaz

Star Member
Feb 20, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
Other
My timeline
- Application Sent: May 31, 2022 from Vancouver
- Application Delivered: June 1, 2022 to Gatineau
- No travel dates
- CC Charged: June 17, 2022
I sent it from Vancouver and delivered to Mississagua on May 16. Still no CC charge. Called the passport canada line and they said to call them back in one week and ask for a file tranfer since i have my travel date on July 9. Damn this is so stressful