+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

clbc88

May 2, 2022
Hello! For those of you who submitted a passport application from the US, can you please share your timeline? I now know that the "20 business days" estimate is a complete farce, but would still like to get some type of an estimate on when I can receive my passport because I have travel booked in June.

My timeline so far:
Mailed via UPS to Gatineau: March 24, 2022
Delivered in Gatineau: March 30, 2022
CC charged: April 2, 2022 (a Saturday!)

No word so far. I've submitted a status request but no response. Tried calling but automated message says no agents available and the call was disconnected.

Passport Canada's service standards have been hugely disappointing. My US spouse applied for her passport at the same time as I did. Their service estimate was 5-7 weeks but she received it in the mail in less than 2 weeks. All she had to do was walk into the local post office (and we live in a small town) to submit her application, zero lines.

Last edited:

iamspenny

May 2, 2022
Sent in my passport renewal by mail March 11. April 11, my credit card was charged for the renewal. I'm leaving Sunday June 5. Should I try to apply in person soon? Has anyone here applied the same time as me and have received their passport or are still waiting? I'm getting pretty anxious and worried that it won't arrive on time.
BTW I'm from Quebec and I don't have a tracking number and I can never get a hold of someone when I call. Any advice would really be appreciated!!

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Sent in my passport renewal by mail March 11. April 11, my credit card was charged for the renewal. I'm leaving Sunday June 5. Should I try to apply in person soon? Has anyone here applied the same time as me and have received their passport or are still waiting? I'm getting pretty anxious and worried that it won't arrive on time.
BTW I'm from Quebec and I don't have a tracking number and I can never get a hold of someone when I call. Any advice would really be appreciated!!
Since you have over a month to travel, you can give the main-in processing a chance to deliver the passport before your departure. I would say you can expect your passport in the next two weeks assuming there are no issues and I don’t think there will be any issues in just renewal.

It is still possible to talk to someone over the phone in Passport Canada, if you can’t get to anyone, I would say try over and over again as speaking to someone can give you peace of mind and some transparency. It is not impossible.

good luck

chente

Mar 1, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't get how people applying from US are getting quicker processing times than those applying from Canada

Reactions: delray55

Guest12345

Apr 19, 2022
From my experience researching this entire nightmare. If you want a guaranteed passport you need to line up at the main passport office that issues passport. What they can do at the very least is issue you a 2 year(money grab) passport 24 hours before you travel. The person in front of me we made friends and she updated me that's what happened with her. For me they just said I need to wait till the 6th.

And ya just to be safe the weekend passport is 100% if you are willing to pay the $380 weekend fee + $160 passport fee. And be ready to powercall and not give up at 5:05pm Friday Pacific time.
Great info, thank you! So stressful but at least it all worked out. This was super helpful in guiding my next steps, really appreciate it!

Reactions: Jhuynh

farmerofthedell

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2014-09-12
AOR Received.
2014-12-30
File Transfer...
2015-01-08
Med's Request
2015-07-02
Med's Done....
2015-07-07
Passport Req..
2015-08-04
VISA ISSUED...
2015-08-21
LANDED..........
2016-03-18
No word so far. I've submitted a status request but no response. Tried calling but automated message says no agents available and the call was disconnected.
When the call connects, the first message starts with "Welcome to Service Canada's passport office." Press 1 (for English).

If you hear "If you live in Canada, press 1", you will probably be able to join the queue. If you hear "For general information such as how to apply...", hang up and call again as that's the message for "no agents available".

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Hi all.

My passport application was received at the Mississauga address on April 11, and to date there has been no further update (no CC charge or contact). My newborn son's application will likely be received tomorrow. My wife and I will be hoping to book travel soon to take our newborn to the UK to visit his family (including aging great grandparents) in about August. Based on what I've read and seen, unless there is upcoming travel, I could be waiting months, but I also don't want to book anything if there is a risk we both won't have our passports in time.

Is there a number I can call or an email address/online form I can reach out to to get information on status? Or is there anything I can do to try and expedite the process that has worked for others?

Thanks!

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Hi all.

My passport application was received at the Mississauga address on April 11, and to date there has been no further update (no CC charge or contact). My newborn son's application will likely be received tomorrow. My wife and I will be hoping to book travel soon to take our newborn to the UK to visit his family (including aging great grandparents) in about August. Based on what I've read and seen, unless there is upcoming travel, I could be waiting months, but I also don't want to book anything if there is a risk we both won't have our passports in time.

Is there a number I can call or an email address/online form I can reach out to to get information on status? Or is there anything I can do to try and expedite the process that has worked for others?

Thanks!
We are having similar intention (wait for passport before booking a trip) like you. Our timeline:

Delivered: Mar 9 (Living in BC sent to Missisauga)
Status request (email) : April 3
Reply received: May 3 (yes, today) saying the file is UNDER EXAMINATION
CC not charged

I think there are only 2 options if you're desparate : 1. book a trip (with proof) and call to arrange urgent transfer 2. not book a trip and call to arrange urgent transfer. Option 2 depends if you're being requested proof of travel, of course.

We are not desparate so won't call, but maybe another month wait will change our minds.

Good luck!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
We are having similar intention (wait for passport before booking a trip) like you. Our timeline:

Delivered: Mar 9 (Living in BC sent to Missisauga)
Status request (email) : April 3
Reply received: May 3 (yes, today) saying the file is UNDER EXAMINATION
CC not charged

I think there are only 2 options if you're desparate : 1. book a trip (with proof) and call to arrange urgent transfer 2. not book a trip and call to arrange urgent transfer. Option 2 depends if you're being requested proof of travel, of course.

We are not desparate so won't call, but maybe another month wait will change our minds.

Good luck!
Thanks. Where did you send the email request to? And do you know what the contact number is?

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
Thanks. Where did you send the email request to? And do you know what the contact number is?
It’s not via email, it’s an online form:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/check-passport-travel-document-application.html

But they take weeks to get back to you.

The number is 1-800-567-6868

See @farmerofthedell ’s post a couple of posts above for info on how to actually get through to an agent. Last time I called it took me 80-odd tries to get through to the queue.

clbc88

May 2, 2022
I applied from the US, here's my timeline so far:

Mailed: March 3 (expedited)
Received: March 10
CC Charged: March 15 (Varennes 2)

No further action so far.
Almost two months in??? Holy cow, these timelines seem so random. This level of service is unacceptable for a first-world country.

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
Finally got a reply back via email to my automated status check request (sent last month) with the following reply: Your file is in examination.

Does that mean the application has been picked up and being processed?