+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

MarcAnthony

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
For the people calling into 1-800-567-6868, a trick to not have to constantly press 1 or 2 for english or french....you can enter the number and hold down * until you get a comma (,) and then put in 1 or 2. This way you won't need to be pressing it repeatedly when calling it because we all know you're most likely gonna get the recording lol. I have an iPhone, I assume it'll work the same on an Android also.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before lol but thought I'd share.

shadowtwixy

Star Member
Dec 13, 2015
Hi Alex, I applied on March 16th (via mail from BC) and so far I have not heard a word from Service Canada. My credit card has not been charged and I have not received the status of my application (which was sent over a week ago). I am so very worried and mad about this whole situation. My partner lives across the border in the US and now I cannot even go visit him.
march 7th.. still waiting. applied through a service canada center. No update since.

Reactions: alexpolis007

Nesstea

Apr 8, 2022
Did anyone try to contact Passport Canada today? I have been trying to reach out to them since 7:30 this morning just getting the recorded message on how to apply online.
So fed up with Passport Canada service :mad:
I called today around 8:45 am, and luckily call went through with 162 callers ahead of me, but I only waited 30 mins before getting connected to an agent. I guess it’s a hit or miss since I’ve been trying to call for 3 days in a row and all calls were not getting through. It’s really frustrating but keep trying, you might get lucky and get a spot on the line.

Reactions: CitizenSoon

Nesstea

Apr 8, 2022
Hi guys. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to transfer an application to your local office?

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hi guys. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to transfer an application to your local office?
request to transfer to the call center - day 0 call from local office confirming travel and requesting proof of travel - day 1 file arrived in local office and they called back confirming appointment to pickup (credit card charged same day)- day 5 pick up of passport - day 6 hope this helps...
This is in toronto

Nesstea

Apr 8, 2022
request to transfer to the call center - day 0 call from local office confirming travel and requesting proof of travel - day 1 file arrived in local office and they called back confirming appointment to pickup (credit card charged same day)- day 5 pick up of passport - day 6 hope this helps...
This is in toronto
Hope it’s quick as yours. By the way, how much did you pay for the fee? The agent told me that I have to pay another fee when I pick up the passport.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hope it’s quick as yours. By the way, how much did you pay for the fee? The agent told me that I have to pay another fee when I pick up the passport.
Paid CAD 45 per application which is for transfer. The staff waived the express pickup fee because the application was in process for a while and crossed the mail out date.

Reactions: Edifytech

CitizenSoon

Sep 19, 2018
What is happening is so frustrating. We do not even know where our application stand. False information are given to us about the status of our application. There is no transparency with most of the regular passport applications. Let's take an action, let's file THOUSANDS of privacy complains about IRCC as a federal institution, here is the official URL:
https://plainte-complaint.priv.gc.ca/en/register-pa

Last edited:

engage

Star Member
Apr 5, 2017
I am listing my experience here.

I managed to speak to the agent today. The waitlist number was 110, and it took roughly 35 mins to connect with the agent. I just wanted to check my application status, but the agent said they have already couriered documents last Friday. However, I have never received any notification of delivery notice from Canada Post. The agent gave me the tracking number. I was able to collect it from the nearest post office. I have received the passport and certificate in a single envelope.

Here is my timeline.

Application Type - Mail (Ottawa)
Sent - 29th March
Received - 30th March
CC - 14th April
Passport Couriered - 29th April

Thank you, everyone, for supporting me throughout this journey. This forum was instrumental during the citizenship journey. I will be staying on this forum for a while. If you have any questions, happy to help.

Last edited:

utopir

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019
I finally talked to someone at Passport Canada. My file is under examination and they cannot guarantee it will be ready by my travel date. The agent told me to call them back 10 days before flying to ask for a file transfer to a local office. This is very stressful, especially because getting hold of them is very difficult. What if I cannot get through them 10 days before my flight?!

Reactions: CitizenSoon

VickiC

Jan 30, 2019
Canada
Applied by mail, delivered March 15, CC charged April 7th. Got through to them today (168th in line, took about 40 mins) and file is still "under examination" and wouldn't give any estimate - just got the usual point that they could try and transfer my file if I had proof I was travelling within 10 days.

Also, they wouldn't give me any information at all about my husband's application (even though they were in the same envelope, I had all the details etc.) because he wasn't with me! So frustrating!

Reactions: delray55