+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
@Jaydenjp and @dsanchez don't bother trying to make tgman understand. All he (or she) does is insult, whine and complain, as if IRCC owed him anything.
Like dsanchez said, the pandemic messed up all of our lives, including the work of government agencies. We have no choice but to be patient, and understanding because IRCC workers are people too. I trust that they're doing the best they can, working through the backlog. They're not intentionally targeting new citizens and delaying their applications on purpose, like tgman suggests. Just ignore him.

Reactions: munderdifflin
Mar 1, 2022
Same here. I don't understand why they can't send documents and the new passport together. Doesn't it cost more money for them and more anxiety for us? I have trip Thursday morning. Have 3 full days to receive my passport. If it doesn't, then there goes my trip. :(
My journey is finally over. This morning the CanadaPost lady rang my doorbell at 7am and handed me the passport. Not one person that was involved in the process of getting my passport that I miss saying thank you greatly, that includes you guys in this forum. Your tips helped me get my passport on time for my trip this Thursday. Thank you very much everyone! I wish all the best for the rest of us that is still waiting to get your passports. 2 tips: 1. call the passport line and let them know it s urgent. 2. Pray hard.

Application sent: Feb 2, 2022
Application received: Feb 10, 2022 (Mississauga)
First webform sent: Feb 23, 2022
Second webform sent: March 2. 2022
First call: March 2, 2022 - was told will escalate the situation to person in charge
Second call: March 7, 2022
Credit card charged : right after second call: March 7, 2022 around 1 pm.
Documents received: March 11, 2022
Passport received: March 14, 2022.

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
My journey is finally over. This morning the CanadaPost lady rang my doorbell at 7am and handed me the passport. Not one person that was involved in the process of getting my passport that I miss saying thank you greatly, that includes you guys in this forum. Your tips helped me get my passport on time for my trip this Thursday. Thank you very much everyone! I wish all the best for the rest of us that is still waiting to get your passports. 2 tips: 1. call the passport line and let them know it s urgent. 2. Pray hard.

First call: March 2, 2022 - was told will escalate the situation to person in charge
20 working days in total. Won't include today as it was delivered today. This is right on target.

Mar 1, 2022

Sorry correction: Application sent: Feb 4, 2022, not Fab 2, 2022 from rural northern BC

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018

Congratulations. Can I ask why your file was escalated? Also, did they call your guarantor/references?

Reactions: leopardortiger

tgman

Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You've made your feelings on this quite clear. Here's what I see:

They (like everyone) were thrust into a situation that no one ever anticipated. Because of the security and responsibility involved in granting citizenships and issuing passports, they couldn't just "sort of figure it out" like most companies. So, they basically stopped all operations while they figured out how to handle it in a responsible way. The process was already slow, and because of the pause due to pandemic, they built up a huge backlog, which they are still trying to work through.

I understand it's frustrating. We applied for my wife's citizenship in Sept 2020 in what should have been the absolute easiest slam dunk approval ever - we'd been married more than 15 years, have children together, have lived in multiple countries together, have had family work visas approved in multiple countries, have multiple years of Canadian tax returns, easily met residency requirement. The whole thing still took 18 months. Once the certificate was granted, we sent the passport application, and are now in the same 35-40 day process that everyone else is (including by birth citizens).

It's not that they don't care, or there's some evil genius at IIRC who is sitting there cackling "I'm going to mess up tgman's life by slowing the passport application process". They are adjusting to the change from pandemic like everyone, and doing at government pace, which means slowly. I'm sure everyone who works at IIRC wants the process to be faster, or make more sense. If you have suggestions on how they can do this, you will be better off going to your local MP and raising your concerns (which I did, as well as asking each candidate in my riding at last federal election) than ranting that "they are stupid people who don't care" on a message board.
I'm sharing my experience and my opinion. This is my opinion and only mine and I don't need you to tell me what to do. If you don't like it just don't read it. I'm pretty sure that many people on this forum agree with me they just don't dare to openly express it. I'm pretty sure sure that many immigrants feel what i feel. So please keep your preaching to yourself and don't brainwash people about how 'good' public service in Canada.