+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

parassachapara

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
HI members, I sent out my new passport application yesterday (5th July).

Today I read somewhere that I need to send my home country passport copies as proof of identity.
I was in impression that I could send any document from the document checklist so I send them Drivers license and Health card (both signed and date by Guarantor).

I cant find any link stating I need to send Home country passport copy. Is it mandatory??

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Today I read somewhere that I need to send my home country passport copies as proof of identity.
I was in impression that I could send any document from the document checklist so I send them Drivers license and Health card (both signed and date by Guarantor).

I cant find any link stating I need to send Home country passport copy. Is it mandatory??
It isn't mandatory.

You can use any of these documents.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
Copy of driver's license should be fine. Not all have drivers license though.

I would still suggest to send certified copies of two identity documents (guarantor certifies them).

i) Health card or drivers license
ii) Foreign passport (even if expired)
Isn't 1 proof of ID required?

xxmaine

Jul 11, 2012
Hi everyone,
I sent my application June 14 and received June 16. My cc still haven’t been charged till now. I wonder if there’s something wrong with my application. Guarantors and references haven’t been contacted yet.

Reactions: lyndawillis67

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I sent my application June 14 and received June 16. My cc still haven’t been charged till now. I wonder if there’s something wrong with my application. Guarantors and references haven’t been contacted yet.
My cc was charged few days ago and no one was contacted. Also my buddy got his pp last week without contacting the guarantor or references. Won’t hurt calling them tho and I’ve heard they’re are nice. You can also do a web inquiry

Reactions: xxmaine

xxmaine

Jul 11, 2012
My cc was charged few days ago and no one was contacted. Also my buddy got his pp last week without contacting the guarantor or references. Won’t hurt calling them tho and I’ve heard they’re are nice. You can also do a web inquiry
Would you mind sharing your timeline? Thanks.

SimonAitch

Star Member
Sep 20, 2020
The minimum is 1 but there is nothing wrong if you submit 2 ID proofs since there are 2 rows in the application form. Driver's License and Health card are the most common I imagine.
If we send a copy of a foreign passport, is it the whole passport or just the info and photo pages ?

Bachar

Sep 12, 2011
Hi,

Do we need to send all pages (there is 7 pages with instructions) or the first 3 are good enough?

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would you mind sharing your timeline? Thanks.
I sent mine on the 16th of June
received on the 17th and
CC charged July 2nd.
Still waiting for an update for tracking (sent a web query on July 5)
Might hear something next week if I’m lucky I guess.

Reactions: varlam and xxmaine

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi everyone,
If you read this thread a few pages back, there’s a few cases of CCs getting charged a little later. It’s not necessarily FIFO. The processing standard is 20 business days, without mailing times. You’re still within that time estimate, but go ahead and follow up if you want to put your mind at ease.

Add to that the recent long weekend (employees probably taking off) and a possible influx of applications with the surge of vaccinations and ease of restrictions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/processing-times.html

Reactions: xxmaine and carl321

lyndawillis67

Sep 4, 2014
Hi everyone,
We have the same timeline, with no cc charge and no references contacted yet. They may be short-staffed now due to summer vacations and increased demand for new passport applications and renewals as travel opens up.

Reactions: xxmaine and carl321

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016

You have sent copies of two documents, that are ample enough.

I suggested sending home country passport copy as a backup for people who may not have driver's license. Since in my personal opinion, even just the health card is acceptable but since it isn't recognized as an identity document for other purposes, best to send certified copy of home country passport if you don't have driver's license.

gn02090867

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Maybe not relevant to this thread. But does anyone know if urgent passport processing is available at this time?
I know they give you a number to call on their website, but curious if anyone has actually done it recently.
Asking because I will need to urgently visit a family member, but not due to illness.