+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Received an update to my request made on March 8th. File is still under examination :confused: I was hoping to find a notice in my mailbox today, but that's not happening apparently. At least I was hoping to be told it has been approved, but it hasn't been. Disappointed to say the least :(

Ragnheidr

Aug 9, 2021
Received an update to my request made on March 8th. File is still under examination :confused: I was hoping to find a notice in my mailbox today, but that's not happening apparently. At least I was hoping to be told it has been approved, but it hasn't been. Disappointed to say the least :(
When I called the first time, they told me the exact damn thing, it was thursday 3rd, then I got my passport the next monday... so don't believe too much what they say.

I wish you to not end up in the same boat as my wife and get stuck 2months+

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
When I called the first time, they told me the exact damn thing, it was thursday 3rd, then I got my passport the next monday... so don't believe too much what they say.

I wish you to not end up in the same boat as my wife and get stuck 2months+
I hope it's the case that I will get next week. From the beginning, I said 40 days would be OK. Still not at that mark. So, I am trying not to panic, yet

Costa5053

Star Member
Jul 30, 2021
Hi I just call they creat a file number after they revived my application on Mars 7 I call an other number to give him my credit card infos because I put my TD debit visa now the file is under the examination I don’t know how long take to charge my credit card? Thx

Corgi

Star Member
Jun 11, 2018
You guess right, I went to check online with the number on the delivery notice and qt 4:20 it updated. I would have rather have the delivery person tell me go after 5:00 to be safe. But it is what it is.
I have my certificate and passport in hands now.

Code:
Feb 21st : Passport application sent to Gatineau via Xpresspost
Feb 22nd : Passport application delivered to mailroom in Ottawa
Mar 11th : CC charged
Mar 24th : Passport and Certificate received
Now to start the Nexus application (Must be a masochist... haha)
I've been waiting to do my Nexus interview for almost two years (applied Oct 2019, conditionally approved June 2020). I have had three interviews cancelled and the enrollment centres are still closed both sides of the border (apart from Montana, which is weird). Their back-log is going to be insane.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
Here is my timeline so far. I’m surprised that my CC charged just a min ago. My expectations are back high but don’t wanna jinx it

Passport Application sent: March 2nd
Application delivered : March 3rd (Ottawa mailroom)
CC charged : March 25th
Citizenship certificate returned : TBA
Passport received : TBA

karimelkerm

Sep 17, 2020
How long does it take them to call you for an appointment after submitting an appointment request online? The website says within 2 business days but it's been 4 business days now.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
How long does it take them to call you for an appointment after submitting an appointment request online? The website says within 2 business days but it's been 4 business days now.
It is totally depends on the SC office how busy they are. When I submitted the form, they called me on 3rd business day.

taekwondo

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
GTA
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa ...though based out of India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
Just throwing my info in here for my sons applications, both of which were born here;

Travel date - April 10th

Mailed Feb 17th. (Tried to get an in-person appointment but was denied and told to mail)
Called today (26 Business days since mailing, so at least 20 business days from delivery), waited 1:40hr on the phone

Neither file has been opened. No CC Charges.

Told that a transfer request will be put in to my local Passport Office, will cost $45 + extra fee's each. Also no guarantee that we'll get the Passports on time.

No other information given then that.

Followed every instruction given to us during the process and still somehow getting screwed. Anyone else frustrated with this or got any other advice?
Don't worry you are not alone. I am in the same boat. See my timelines in my signature.
This system sucks bad time. !!

Reactions: Val-Kon

gcamp

Mar 22, 2022
Does anyone have experience with having to resubmit an application due to an error? Was told by the person that called me yesterday that they would keep my birth certificate and old passport there (Gatineau) and I could just submit an new application along with new photos and proof of identity. Will I run into problems when I go submit my application at a passport office? My travel date is less than 20 days away and I currently am waiting for a call to get an in person appointment. Can someone at the passport office bring up my file number and see what documents I need to submit or will I get grief go not having my birth certificate and old passport? Any info would be helpful! I never thought to ask when they called me, if I’d run into problems. I’ve been kind of flustered lately!

MithuShun

Jan 27, 2014
Not to discourage you, It would be very stressful to go to the passport office/Service Canada without an appointment unless you are very lucky or your office is quiet which is very unlikely. They are likely to send you back without taking your application.

I did get a call for in person appointment on the 3rd business day but I decided to send via mail .

It is very unfortunate that they didn’t call back to setup an appointment for you. Try to reach out to them on 1-800-567-6868 (expect to wait up to 4 hours) and explain your situation. They can book an appointment for in person express service.

Good luck
Thank you for your suggestion and reply. I will call them on Monday morning

Reactions: PumpkinJack

Chajhei

Nov 19, 2019
Application sent: Feb 15 (cc expired on the 28th)
Application delivered: Feb 17

Called on March 7th to update cc info, was given file number then transferred to payment department, gave them new card info and told card will be charged later that day or by next day.

Cc charged on March 7th

Called again on March 18th for an update (in queue for an hour and 30 minutes) was told it was in production stage should arrive in 2 weeks.

Called on March 25th got to 10 people left then they cut me off. I went outside about an hour later and saw a pickup notice in my mailbox.

Passport and certificate (same envelope) in hand March 25th