+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Guess what guys ? still NOTHING .... we called twice, alwasy the same answer "it's under examination" they only offer us to pay $45 and transfer the file to some local office (without any guarantee obviously). Gonna be 2 months soon meeh.
Since you are traveling, book the tickets and let them know you are traveling soon with a proof to transfer your file to a local office. I would be angry if I submitted my application more than 2 months ago, and then charged me express and transfer fees to finish my application on time. If I were you, I would file a complaint about the delay and the possible extra fees.

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Thanks for your reply.

So folks whoever put Uknown there are facing long delays no matter when they sent the application and how long they are waiting.
I guess it therefore I have put Jun 1 for mine. But still no movement :) . They said it is under examination and suggested that the processing time may be longer due to backlog

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
on the back of the photo do you need to need to add the below statement of just the Gurasntors sign

" I certify this to be true linkeness of ( name of applicant ) "
The guarantor should write this statement and sign. Some photo places will stamp this behind the photo for you so the guarantor can just sign so I would assume it doesn’t matter who writes this statement but one of the photo should have this and the guarantor sign.

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
Question- What are the details they ask when you call passport help desk for the first time ?
They will ask questions to verify that you are the applicant, like: name, last name, DOB, place of birth, address, mother's maiden name. Then how you apply your application (mail or in-person)

Reactions: PumpkinJack

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
I guess it therefore I have put Jun 1 for mine. But still no movement :) . They said it is under examination and suggested that the processing time may be longer due to backlog
Did they give you a file number when you called ? I think the wise move will be to put travel date after 25 business days so you get the passport within the timeline ;)

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
May be call them on Monday with the hope to get your tracking number.
I sent an update request more than 2 weeks ago, and hoping to get tracking details with the response. If I don't get my passport by mid next week, I will file a complaint, and start calling, although I hate waiting hours on the line. I did it before with another governmental agency, and it was so tedious and I lost 90+ minutes of my monthly minutes!

Esi1979

Feb 12, 2022
Thanks! your insights might help future applicants :)
I have also put my travel date unknown. I need to travel end of April but I thought they will process it in 20 days so it is enough time. Now should I email them and tell them that I need to travel?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
on the back of the photo do you need to need to add the below statement of just the Gurasntors sign

" I certify this to be true linkeness of ( name of applicant ) "
Studios in Canada have a special stamp with everything written. The guarantor has only to write your name and sign it. A word of advice, dry pens may not be appropriate to write on the back of photos. Keep different options with you and try which one works best.

Reactions: sting_hard

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
I have also put my travel date unknown. I need to travel end of April but I thought they will process it in 20 days so it is enough time. Now should I email them and tell them that I need to travel?
You still have time to wait until end of April unless you need passport to apply for visa . You may call them if you’re curious but takes hours to reach someone. Call them after 20 business days of your application.

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
I sent an update request more than 2 weeks ago, and hoping to get tracking details with the response. If I don't get my passport by mid next week, I will file a complaint, and start calling, although I hate waiting hours on the line. I did it before with another governmental agency, and it was so tedious and I lost 90+ minutes of my monthly minutes!
I’m calling them now.

Reactions: CaBeaver

TokyoH

Star Member
Mar 10, 2021
I’m calling them now.
The wait time is horrible. Especially, it could be disconnected any time then you have to redial to get back to the end of the line again.

On the other hand, you could only ask information for yourself, not for your family members if they are 18+

Good luck

Reactions: PumpkinJack

PumpkinJack

Nov 26, 2015
The wait time is horrible. Especially, it could be disconnected any time then you have to redial to get back to the end of the line again.

On the other hand, you could only ask information for yourself, not for your family members if they are 18+

Good luck
It did disconnect randomly after waiting 40 minutes when I was at 380 callers ahead of me. I called back and surprisingly 37 callers ahead of me. Looks like all got disconnected

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Studios in Canada have a special stamp with everything written. The guarantor has only to write your name and sign it. A word of advice, dry pens may not be appropriate to write on the back of photos. Keep different options with you and try which one works best.
do you know any Photo studio in GTA that does stamp that statment on back of your photo, do shopers do that ?
and how much does shoppers drug mart charge for passport photos.