+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
A few people already addressed this, tons of first-time applicants have successfully received 10 year passports (me too). I’ve yet to read on this forum a case of a first-time applicant being denied a 10 year passport after they asked for one.
Myself and many others here got 10 years as a first time applicant. There is no restriction other than $$. People take 5 years only in case they feel they will use up the pages faster so will have to renew earlier than the 10 year mark

correct, he got his passport in one week, validity 10 years, all ok, no issues
Ok, thanks all ! :)

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......
@rajkamalmohanram and @bellaluna

Does anyone know if it is ok to apply for 10 years passport validity? (considering that this is the very first Canadian passport application)
I'm wondering if there is any restriction on this. Has anyone here successfully gotten the 10-year passport?
I applied my first Canadian Passport for 10 years on Oct 4 and I received it on Oct 14. No issues.

Reactions: CherryKa

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Hi all,
I have an unique situation. I am about to apply for a passport soon and I may not have a guarantor. I moved to a new city shortly before oath and have not known a Canadian citizen in this city for 2 years. So I have some questions:

1. Can I photocopy the guarantor page and send it to a friend in the city I lived in before and he can scan and send it back to me? I saw even a passport photo has to be certified by the guarantor, this may be burdensome as I will have to mail my photo to friend.
2. Can I apply without a guarantor and what's the procedure to do so? Does it adversely affect my application i.e. Will it delay my application even if I apply for express pickup?

Last edited:

eatpraylove

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
Hello,
Which would be a faster passport application, in person or online?
Does anyone have experience with using a notary public instead of a guarantor ?
TIA

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,
Which would be a faster passport application, in person or online?
Does anyone have experience with using a notary public instead of a guarantor ?
TIA
There isn't an "online" process for passports. Its either in-person (Normal/Express/Urgent) or mail in (Normal, takes a LONG time).

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,
I have an unique situation. I am about to apply for a passport soon and I may not have a guarantor. I moved to a new city shortly before oath and have not known a Canadian citizen in this city for 2 years. So I have some questions:

1. Can I photocopy the guarantor page and send it to a friend in the city I lived in before and he can scan and send it back to me? I saw even a passport photo has to be certified by the guarantor, this may be burdensome as I will have to mail my photo to friend.
2. Can I apply without a guarantor and what's the procedure to do so? Does it adversely affect my application i.e. Will it delay my application even if I apply for express pickup?
Read this =>

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html

If you can’t find a guarantor
You must

• complete the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form
  • find someone who can administer an oath to swear to and sign the form
    • This person doesn’t need to know you personally.
    • If you’re in Canada,this can be a
      • notary public
      • justice of the peace
      • commissioner for oaths
    • If you’re outside Canada, this can be a
      • Canadian or British diplomatic or consular representative
      • Qualified local official, such as a civil servant or member of Parliament
Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor form
The Statutory Declaration in Lieu of a Guarantor form is not available online. To get the form

eatpraylove

Star Member
Jan 5, 2017
There isn't an "online" process for passports. Its either in-person (Normal/Express/Urgent) or mail in (Normal, takes a LONG time).
Thanks, I meant to say by mail, my bad.
If i am using a notary public for my documents would it drastically affect processing time .. or if anyone has experienced such

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi all,

#1. Works, Xpresspost back and forth the photo, application form, and copy of ID he needs to sign.

Don’t photocopy, must be original.*

Edited to add: *It's not explicit, but I wouldn't take my chances with a scanned form...if you need to mail the photo anyway. Why would mailing be a hassle? Seems like the declaration of no guarantor is a bigger hassle: you have to get the form in person at the passport office, and then it might also cost a bit more money to find a notary/commissioner of oaths than the mailing fees. But it's your call.

Last edited:

Mpvzla

Star Member
Dec 5, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
17-10-2017
Hello,

Sharing my application timeline:

In-person Application: October 14th, 2021 - Hamilton Passport Office
Passport received: October 22nd, 2021

I didn’t pay for urgent processing. They told me it regularly takes 2 weeks for it to be mailed.

I had an appointment, but I saw people who were there without one. They would be placed in another line and eventually were let in because it was not busy at all.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hello,

Sharing my application timeline:

In-person Application: October 14th, 2021 - Hamilton Passport Office
Passport received: October 22nd, 2021

I didn’t pay for urgent processing. They told me it regularly takes 2 weeks for it to be mailed.

I had an appointment, but I saw people who were there without one. They would be placed in another line and eventually were let in because it was not busy at all.
2 weeks is a reasonable time. Some were told it takes up to 8 weeks. That's a disaster

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Can a cousin serve as a reference for passport application? Also, can I go for a walk-in application at one of the passport services office in GTA? i.e. are they taking walk-ins?

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Can a cousin serve as a reference for passport application? Also, can I go for a walk-in application at one of the passport services office in GTA? i.e. are they taking walk-ins?
I believe cousins are OK as reference provided they do not live at the same address as you.

Don’t think so, you’ll have to set an appointment in the GTA.

Reactions: anandg12