Canadian Passport - Mail-In Application Timelines

MartinT

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Montreal
IELTS Request
N/A
Hello guys I have a question.

I have my Oath coming up on the 28th of October.
Would it be possible now to call for a passport application appointment? I plan to set an appointment 2 weeks after the oath to give time for the citizenship certificate to arrive. Do you guys think (or if anyone did it already) they will accommodate my request even if I am technically not yet a Canadian when I ask for an appointment?

I am thinking of doing this because I would like to apply for a passport as soon as possible in-person. And if I only ask for an appointment once the certificate is on-hand, I might get an appointment date only for December (or worse, 2022).

Thanks! :)

citappmr2006

Star Member
Mar 7, 2020
Hi guys. Pls for those who applied by mail. How does the passport office return the passport. By canada post? Or the applicant is meant to organize a courier service for pickup?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

Would it be possible now to call for a passport application appointment? I plan to set an appointment 2 weeks after the oath to give time for the citizenship certificate to arrive. Do you guys think (or if anyone did it already) they will accommodate my request even if I am technically not yet a Canadian when I ask for an appointment?

I am thinking of doing this because I would like to apply for a passport as soon as possible in-person. And if I only ask for an appointment once the certificate is on-hand, I might get an appointment date only for December (or worse, 2022).

Yeah you can try but you if you don't get the citizenship certificate on time, may be you could reschedule. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

krunal2904

May 9, 2016
Canada
NOC Code......

Yeah you can try but you if you don't get the citizenship certificate on time, may be you could reschedule. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
Ok. Here is the story. I filled Online form to book my appointment for Passport before 2 days of my oath. I got a call from Service Officer to book an appointment. I booked it after 7 days from my oath date ceremony thinking that Brampton is close to Mississauga, I will get certificate within 4 or 5 days. My Citizenship Certificate didn't arrive on time and i ended up canceling appointment. Me and my brother took the oath on same days from same processing office. My brother's certificate arrived within 5 days and mine arrived after 12 days. Second time, I asked my brother to book an appointment. He filled Online form and got call from officer after 2 days. Officer asked him that did you receive your Citizenship Certificate before you book appointment. Luckily, we both got certificate already. Then officer booked an appointment after 2 weeks as everything was full. So basically you can try, if you lucky enough, you may get call from nice officer and you may get your certificate on time.

MartinT

Star Member
Jan 26, 2015
Montreal
IELTS Request
N/A
Okay so I was able to get a passport application appointment even if my Oath is still to happen.

The agent asked me if I already have the citizenship certificate and I said none yet. But I told her that I will be taking the oath on the 28th and is planning to schedule an appointment 2 weeks after that to give time for the certificate to arrive. She was kind enough to agree with me and gave me an appointment date. She just advised me that if by any chance I can't make it to my appointment, I should inform them so that they can cancel the appointment and give the slot to others.

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
@rajkamalmohanram and @bellaluna

Does anyone know if it is ok to apply for 10 years passport validity? (considering that this is the very first Canadian passport application)
I'm wondering if there is any restriction on this. Has anyone here successfully gotten the 10-year passport?

LizzyBob

Nov 26, 2015
NOC Code......
friend of mine got two days ago, my question is why the question? were there cases when that was an issue?

Ok, well, I'm just curious. In the passport application form it says an applicant could be denied the duration of validity requested and there would be no refund. So I was wondering what the restrictions could be and if it affects those applying for the first time.

So your friend got the 10-years passport as a first-time applicant?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Ok, well, I'm just curious. In the passport application form it says an applicant could be denied the duration of validity requested and there would be no refund. So I was wondering what the restrictions could be and if it affects those applying for the first time.

Myself and many others here got 10 years as a first time applicant. There is no restriction other than $$. People take 5 years only in case they feel they will use up the pages faster so will have to renew earlier than the 10 year mark

Reactions: bellaluna

varlam

Dec 6, 2020

correct, he got his passport in one week, validity 10 years, all ok, no issues

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

A few people already addressed this, tons of first-time applicants have successfully received 10 year passports (me too). I’ve yet to read on this forum a case of a first-time applicant being denied a 10 year passport after they asked for one.

Reactions: varlam