+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Master's. FSW. Need ECA for non-Canadian Bachelor's?

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
Sighman - I also mentioned I do not have ECA for bachelor's. If that was the case, why was I assigned full points under skills transferability, my understanding the system considers anything above 2 or more degrees, which includes master's and PHD as both are above 2 or more degrees in points assigned. Technically speaking I should have gotten lesser points (only for Post-secondary program credential of one year or longer) as I said No for Bachelor's ECA if what you are saying is correct.

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
I exactly found out the reason why we do NOT need 2 ECA but need only for the highest degree. The answer is in CRS grid itself.

There are two places where you score points for education

a) One is Level of Education

b) Other is skills transferability

(ignoring others such as spousal as that will follow same pattern)

a) To score in Level of Education, whatever degree you have (for example Master's) get ECA for that and get points.

b) If you check Level of Education, it is divided into 8 levels (high school, secondary, one-year program , two-year program, bachelor's, Two or more certificates, master's and PHD). Now going to skills transferability, under education level 1 and 2 are clubbed together, level 3,4 and 5 are clubbed together and 6,7 and 8 are clubbed together (although I believe CLB is a typo - see left most column under education). This basically means anyone above "Two or more certificates" which is at level 6, will get maximum points.

So with only Master degree, one can score points on Level of Education and skills transferability without need of evaluating Bachelor as it satisfies the grid. And I definitely believe that is the reason why I got maximum points for Master's degree and full points in skills transferability even after saying "No" to Bachelor ECA question. Also the reason why when auto data was transferred from my EE profile to my PR application the system deleted Bachelor's row and kept only Master's row as it was basically redundant information.

Hope this clears some doubt.

warhound

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
for each degree you entered at some stage it asks education level. Do you put " masters " in the drop down menu for both (since it asks Your highest personal level i think) or did you enter Bachelors for the bachelors and masters for teh masters ?

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
In the profile put exactly as u have. I put master in place of master and bachelor in place of bachelor and said No to ECA. All I am saying is if u have phd no need to put other degrees, if u have master no need to even mention bachelor.

But if u are entering all degrees u have to give exact information from drop down

bj291

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
purohit said:
In the profile put exactly as u have. I put master in place of master and bachelor in place of bachelor and said No to ECA. All I am saying is if u have phd no need to put other degrees, if u have master no need to even mention bachelor.

But if u are entering all degrees u have to give exact information from drop down
Do you already have ITA? If yes, then what are you planning to upload under educational documents section - will it be just your Masters degree and transcript or are you going to upload Bachelors degree too? I feel that if you upload Bachelors degree without ECA - it probably has no value for CIC - so better not upload it as well. What do you think? I am actually going back and forth on whether or not I should upload my Bachelors certificates or not as I don't have ECA for it.

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
I have submitted PR application. I did not submit bachelor as it does not make sense to send foreign degrees without ECA. Dnt know if they just look at bachelor and think it's without ECA and reject. So I did not send bachelor
Just sent my master degree and transcripts

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh wow...finally..perfect..congratulations!!

So I assume you mentioned the Bachelor degree in EE education profile... and said No ECA...?
And then did you send the degree copies for Bachelor and degree copy for Master both?

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
EFK said:
Oh wow...finally..perfect..congratulations!!

So I assume you mentioned the Bachelor degree in EE education profile... and said No ECA...? YES

And then did you send the degree copies for Bachelor and degree copy for Master both? Yes i uploaded both degree copies...

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
I am in the exact situation as well...Got a master degree from Canada and a bachelor degree from Singapore...Have less than 1 year of working experience in Canada so I have to apply under the FSW instead of the CEC scheme...

At one part of the website, it says "If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA for that credential". Immediately following the next line of text, it says "You will need to get an ECA for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Express Entry, and you are a principal applicant, and you got your education outside Canada". These are conflicting instructions for me...

I saw this very old thread that discusses the same issue. Has everyone in this thread got their PR?

chipmunk222

Oct 9, 2015
erencie said:
I am in the exact situation as well...Got a master degree from Canada and a bachelor degree from Singapore...Have less than 1 year of working experience in Canada so I have to apply under the FSW instead of the CEC scheme...

At one part of the website, it says "If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA for that credential". Immediately following the next line of text, it says "You will need to get an ECA for your foreign degree, diploma or certificate if you want to be considered for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) under Express Entry, and you are a principal applicant, and you got your education outside Canada". These are conflicting instructions for me...

I saw this very old thread that discusses the same issue. Has everyone in this thread got their PR?

hello this is exactly my situation, inland FSW, masters in Canada, didn't have transcripts for bachelor from Poland and... just got my PPR!!!! :))))))

AAA2133

Dec 17, 2014
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2015
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
28-09-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-10-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-09-2015
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
24-02-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2016
LANDED..........
11-03-2016
chipmunk222 said:
hello this is exactly my situation, inland FSW, masters in Canada, didn't have transcripts for bachelor from Poland and... just got my PPR!!!! :))))))
Period. Congrats:)

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just saw this post, I am inland CEC not FSW, but run into the same problem as I have a Canadian Master and foreign BA.

Im convinced that I dont need to do ECA for my Bachelor degree.

But my question is, do i need to upload my BA degree? Or should I just completely ignore the BA and upload nothing for it.

Thanks guys!!!

wenfeizh

Feb 10, 2016
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wenfeizh said:
Just saw this post, I am inland CEC not FSW, but run into the same problem as I have a Canadian Master and foreign BA.

Im convinced that I dont need to do ECA for my Bachelor degree.

But my question is, do i need to upload my BA degree? Or should I just completely ignore the BA and upload nothing for it.

Thanks guys!!!
Anyone? :)