+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Master's. FSW. Need ECA for non-Canadian Bachelor's?

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
The more we try to solve the EE mystery, the deeper it gets.

I have a Canadian master's degree and a non-Canadian Bachelor's degree. Do I still need ECA for the Bachelor's?

warhound

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
There is so much conflicting information all over the forum on this .. its extremely frustrating. If the senior degree is the masters from Canada.. which is already fulfilling a "2 degrees with 1 degree at least 3 years " criteria.. why wouldnt you already get the max points for your masters ?!

Can someone who has been in similar position and applied for EE shed this sight on this ? please don't post unless you have specifically applied for EE and recieved ITA in similar circumstances

Thanks

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
I have got Max point. I have also received ITA. Now I am hearing that because we claimed points for 2 or more degrees under Skills transferability we will need ECA for all degrees.

This is getting very frustrating. Every time you think you are closer to resolving one issue, another one pops up.

bj291

Star Member
Jan 23, 2015
purohit said:
I have got Max point. I have also received ITA. Now I am hearing that because we claimed points for 2 or more degrees under Skills transferability we will need ECA for all degrees.

This is getting very frustrating. Every time you think you are closer to resolving one issue, another one pops up.
I am in the same boat....got full pts for my Masters but have not evaluated my Bachelors yet. I am thinking that since I got full pts on skill transferability - their software underneath is assuming that I have done Bachelors too. Had they not given me full pts when I initially created my EE profile - I would have def. gone for ECA of my Bachelors too but in this case no one really knows what the VO will finally decide. I got ITA in the March draw and am planning to submit just my Masters degree without any ECA for Bachelors...I hope it works out ;)

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
there are two parts to it...first they will verify if you will are eligible for FSW

and based on this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp , you just need a canadian degre to qualify for FSW which you have....

NOW, the question is do you need ECA for bachelor or not...The answer is no...Here is why:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

This post clearly states that :

If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA.

No where it mention that you need ECA for all your credential...

Sighman

Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you put the Bachelors degree in EE and you get FSW stream pulled then you would need ECA for it.

My advice, get the ECA, not having or being rejected for not providing it will cost you more heartache in future.

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
Sighman said:
If you put the Bachelors degree in EE and you get FSW stream pulled then you would need ECA for it.

My advice, get the ECA, not having or being rejected for not providing it will cost you more heartache in future.
Hello Signman

Based on which source you are saying that... you will have to put all the information in your personal history of last 10 year any way..

warhound

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
curious_123 said:
NOW, the question is do you need ECA for bachelor or not...The answer is no...Here is why:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

This post clearly states that :

If you have a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate, you do not need to get an ECA.

No where it mention that you need ECA for all your credential...
This in itself is confusing and has confused CIC reps as welll ;D ;D ;D

I will tell you why. The language does NOT say if your SENIOR most degree is Canadian you do not need ECA. it just says if your degree is Canadian you dont need ECA

Now imagine a situation where your bachelors is Canadian and Masters is from USA. You get more points for USA - but the link says " Dont NEED ECA if degree from Canada" . Obviously under these circumstances we know it wont be true since the junior degree with fewer points is Canadian and masters is from US which has more points.

I think the link says in general dont need ECA for that PARTICULAR degree but you must need ECA for all others

curious_123

Jun 19, 2014
warhound said:
This in itself is confusing and has confused CIC reps as welll ;D ;D ;D

I will tell you why. The language does NOT say if your SENIOR most degree is Canadian you do not need ECA. it just says if your degree is Canadian you dont need ECA

Now imagine a situation where your bachelors is Canadian and Masters is from USA. You get more points for USA - but the link says " Dont NEED ECA if degree from Canada" . Obviously under these circumstances we know it wont be true since the junior degree with fewer points is Canadian and masters is from US which has more points.

I think the link says in general dont need ECA for that PARTICULAR degree but you must need ECA for all others
In express entry they will ask you if you have ECA, if you provide NO for that and you mention that you have a bachelor degree from Canada, in that case you will just get point for bachelor

In express entry they exclusively ask you if you have ECA for each education you mention.... Now They give you 50 points for skill trasnfer. ...whcih goes on to indicate that your senior degree basically trumps all other degree..

Also good to see that how we created the word senior and junior degree :) ;) :p

warhound

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
curious_123 said:
In express entry they will ask you if you have ECA, if you provide NO for that and you mention that you have a bachelor degree from Canada, in that case you will just get point for bachelor

In express entry they exclusively ask you if you have ECA for each education you mention.... Now They give you 50 points for skill trasnfer. ...whcih goes on to indicate that your senior degree basically trumps all other degree..

Also good to see that how we created the word senior and junior degree :) ;) :p
have you applied under the same circumstances where your higher degree is canadian and you did not get ECA for the bachelors ?

The Robust

Dec 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
CAP REACHED
Doc's Request.
Applied in Express Entry
bj291 said:
I am in the same boat....got full pts for my Masters but have not evaluated my Bachelors yet. I am thinking that since I got full pts on skill transferability - their software underneath is assuming that I have done Bachelors too. Had they not given me full pts when I initially created my EE profile - I would have def. gone for ECA of my Bachelors too but in this case no one really knows what the VO will finally decide. I got ITA in the March draw and am planning to submit just my Masters degree without any ECA for Bachelors...I hope it works out ;)
Mine is also same case I have taken ECA for my masters only and claimed points on the basis of masters , but some people on the forum say that Bachelors ECA is also required. they say that we need ECA for all are degrees after High school.

Reads the following link
http://www.canadim.com/educational-credential-assessment-fsw/

purohit

Star Member
Feb 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2015
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
IELTS Request
Initally submitted
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
13-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
29-10-2015
I mentioned in my profile that I have Canadian Master, but non-Canadian Bachelor and said No for ECA. Still I got maximum point.

Also the requirements of the program and the documents requirement have not changed since last year, only selection criteria has. Till last year anyone with Canadian Master or phd called under FSW was not required to do ECA for Bachelor's. Also non-Canadian holding Master's and Bachelor's were not required to do ECA for Bachelor's, they did only for Bachelor's.

I have heard from a few that if you get both degrees evaluated, WES gives you a report saying equivalent to your highest degree. (Not sure if this is correct, as I have not gone through the process). All this inclines me towards believing we do not need ECA for Bachelor's. But again, how do we be sure. If only CIC had instructions to fill the form.

warhound

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
purohit,

If you recieved the ITA, does that not include the checklist of all the documents required ?. if you can for the betterment of everyone on this forum. please let us know of the decision that was made on your file once you submitted it

Thanks

COOL_DUDE_CANADA

Star Member
Jan 30, 2015
hi all,

I Created my Express entry profile and says CEC met becos i put the funds less than 10000$

questions are :

1. i have a canadian masters degree and indian Bachelors degree [Do i need an ECA] PLEASE HELP I READ LOT OF POSTS NOT ABLE TO GET TO A CONCLUSION
2. Though i have experience in India I have not mentioned it in Express Entry Work History. is that ok ??

please help

Sighman

Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Express Entry
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
curious_123 said:
Hello Signman

Based on which source you are saying that... you will have to put all the information in your personal history of last 10 year any way..
Purohit said : I have got Max point. I have also received ITA. Now I am hearing that because we claimed points for 2 or more degrees under Skills transferability we will need ECA for all degrees.

he claimed points for 2 degrees - hence would need to have an ECA for it

I would have thought that the drop down for 'Level of education (Canadian equivalent) shown on report' would have been : Masters degree and not 2 or more...
If he put 2 or more then he would need to provide an ECA for the NON Canadian degree?

Thoughts?