+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Language Benchmark Test (CLB) - how to prepare for it?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Please tell me topic starter meant CELPIP exam?
Not really, that was a post i created 4 years ago to get some insights on the CLB test at the time (its a test that's usually required to attend bridging programs, etc and is done at YMCA in Toronto).

However a couple of weeks ago i also did CELPIP (Listening and Speaking) for my citizenship application, did you have any question on CELPIP?

Melek89

Mar 13, 2018
How long to study before we have do to CLB test,is it everyday or couple days a week or How? And with the result from CLB test,can we apply for citizenship after that or we have to do different kind of test before we apply for citizenship? Does anyone know? Please share your experience. I appreciate it!

Mar 25, 2018
Hi there, I will be also taking CLB test. I have completed the practice test online - clb-osa and my results were 6-7, 7-8 (listening and reading). I am just wondering if the max benchmark is actually 8 or 12?
I need 8 in each category.
Would you also share what was your topic of writing? Thank you

Mar 25, 2018
i did the CLB test around 8 days ago, I'll share some tips here based on my own experience, which might be useful for anyone who'll be taking the exam for the first time:

my score was 8 on all parts L/S/R/W...the listening and speaking part were about 20 minutes in total, while the reading and writing tests were 30 minutes each.

CLB is easier than ielts, it takes a lot of preparation to achieve a very high score in IELTS, but the clb test just requires relaxation, avoiding being nervous and high concentration - specially in the listening part - where a brief conversation will be played and you'll be asked to recall the key details.

The remaining parts are quite easy, but its important to keep track of time, in the reading section - there's not enough time to read the whole texts ... but scanning/skimming is enough to answer the questions...the writing part of the test is really basic nothing to worry about here as well. I've observed that the examiners are a bit flexible with time also...a few candidates requested 2 or 5 minutes more to complete their work and were given the time they needed without any issues.

surprisingly, although it says on the web that CLB scores range from 1 to 12, but the examiner informed me that 8 is the highest possible score for CLB
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I would like to ask you, have you tried the online practice tests before you attend the test? I tried it and I got a 6-7 and 7-8 score, which is making me a bit nervous as I need to get 8 in each category. Would you find the practice test more difficult or is my English that bad?;] What about writing? I practice writing every day - I have some IELTS examples because CLB examples are nowhere to be found. Would you happen to know any example of CLB writing? Thank you

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
How long to study before we have do to CLB test,is it everyday or couple days a week or How? And with the result from CLB test,can we apply for citizenship after that or we have to do different kind of test before we apply for citizenship? Does anyone know? Please share your experience. I appreciate it!
CLB is a very easy test...how much preparation depends on your level. If you scored 7 or more in IELTS you'll likely get an 8 in the CLB test with no issues.

You can't use CLB for citizenship, its only good for attending government funded bridging programs or english language classes.

For Citizenship you need either CELPIP or IELTS. University degree can be used as a proof of english if it clearly says that the medium of instruction was english language.

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I would like to ask you, have you tried the online practice tests before you attend the test? I tried it and I got a 6-7 and 7-8 score, which is making me a bit nervous as I need to get 8 in each category. Would you find the practice test more difficult or is my English that bad?;] What about writing? I practice writing every day - I have some IELTS examples because CLB examples are nowhere to be found. Would you happen to know any example of CLB writing? Thank you
Yes i tried the online tests before, don't remember what i scored - but i do recall they were slightly tougher than the actual test.

If you practice IELTS writing sample tests you'll be good, you'll find CLB writing a lot easier.

Rabaya

Apr 27, 2018
Hi, I need any suggestion of CLB Test. From the //www.clb-osa.ca/home, I used to get 6 to 7 for Listening and reading. please give me advice. It would be the great help for me.

Last edited:

Raviteja0012

Jun 7, 2018
Not really, that was a post I created 4 years ago to get some insights on the CLB test at the time (its a test that's usually required to attend bridging programs, etc and is done at YMCA in Toronto).

However a couple of weeks ago I also did CELPIP (Listening and Speaking) for my citizenship application, did you have any question on CELPIP?

Hey,

I am preparing to apply for Canada Express Entry program and I am planning to take CLB/CELPIP test pretty soon. Could you please help me with below questions
(i)Are CLB & CELPIP exams both same..? (Which one should I take for Canadian Immigration)
(ii)Is CELPIP tougher than ILETS can you throw some light on this topic...

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hey,

I am preparing to apply for Canada Express Entry program and I am planning to take CLB/CELPIP test pretty soon. Could you please help me with below questions
(i)Are CLB & CELPIP exams both same..? (Which one should I take for Canadian Immigration)
(ii)Is CELPIP tougher than ILETS can you throw some light on this topic...
They are not the same, CLB is only useful for bridging programs, or for those who plan to attend language classes (LINC) other than that its useless

CELPIP can be used for canadian immigration, its slightly easier than IELTS and a bit cheaper.

WajidAli

Aug 30, 2018
Dear friends,
I am going to prepare for ielts band 8 should I go to join an academy or prepare by own & how long will it take.
If anyone can guide me properly plz email me @ wajid.turk01@gmil.com
I shall be very thankful.

Rioshe

Nov 27, 2019
CLB is a very easy test...how much preparation depends on your level. If you scored 7 or more in IELTS you'll likely get an 8 in the CLB test with no issues.

You can't use CLB for citizenship, its only good for attending government funded bridging programs or english language classes.

For Citizenship you need either CELPIP or IELTS. University degree can be used as a proof of english if it clearly says that the medium of instruction was english language.

hi can i ask the topic included on writing and speaking? Thankyou.