+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class -> move to Quebec

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since new regulations are being introduced by CIC I probably won't be able to qualify under skilled worker program (I applied after February, 27th) as they most likely will be cutting occupation list to 38 from about present 300+.

However, I will be able to qualify under Canadian Experience Class program soon. The thing is after 3 years in Canada I found out that I want to settle in Quebec, but this program states I must not intend to live in Quebec.

The question is will it be any implications for me later (getting citizenship later or extending PR) if I will move to Quebec shortly after obtaining PR? I obviously won't qualify for QSC, but able to find job in Quebec and want to move there (I'm in Vancouver now).

CIC states just that I must "plan to live outside the province of Quebec", but it sounds more like just a guideline and technically PR will allow to live there. Can I know somehow for sure, like from official directives that should exist and be available somewhere, whether it can have any adverse effects on immigration process?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After you get the PR, give it about 6 months before you move just in case. You should not have any problems. You can always say that you didn't plan to live in Quebec but you ended up finding a job there anyway.

Why do you "obviously not" qualify for QSW?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for a quick reply, Leon.

I also think that this restriction is more a recommendation. But I'm also concerned whether it has any power in law. If not, it shouldn't be a matter of officer opinion (and there shouldn't be any questions), if yes, then there must be regulations and guidelines out there. Or at least known precedents with similar situations (like provincial programs). It's hard to assume what's implied by "must plan to live outside the province of Quebec" and how far it extends.

As for QSW, I checked with their assessment tool. Currently my French is rather weak, no job offer and ties there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's because Quebec has it's own immigration rules. If they let people go through whatever program and land whereever they want, it would be pointless for each province to have it's own immigration program. For example QSW requires that your intention is to settle in Quebec as well as various PNP's require that your intention is to settle in that province but I have never heard about the government going after anybody who didn't. I would still say just to make sure that people who get their PR while they are still in a different country should land in the province of their PNP or Quebec if they did QSW and stay there for a few months so just in case anybody asks, they can say they made an attempt to settle there. Same as when you get your PR within Canada, you said you don't plan to settle in Quebec so you should stay another 6 months where you are, then you can change your plans. As long as they don't make you sign that you can never settle in Quebec, they can't say anything. As long as you can say that you didn't plan to when you applied for your PR, you didn't lie. Of course you do plan to settle in Quebec so you are lying but they would have to be mind readers to prove that.

Oct 21, 2008
Hey easyrider. Thanks a lot for pointing me to that trackitt.com website regarding processing times for my CEC application.

Here's what I think of the move to Quebec:

A PR has no restrictions. Its' valid throughout Canada and you can therefore live anywhere in Canada. As long as you receive the PR outside Quebec, you can even move to Quebec on that very same day. The only category of PR where you could (in theory) be restricted to the province where you got your PR is the Provincial Nominee class. Even then - no one is going to come after you if you receive your PR in that province and then move. Because say for example when you apply as an Alberta provincial nominee, you are essentially saying that you intend to reside in Alberta. But say once you get your PR you get a job offer in Quebec that's paying you twice as much as your job in Alberta, or say if you lose your job in Alberta, or say you want to be closer to friends and family in Quebec, or say you hate the weather in Alberta......no one can really stop you from moving! As a PR holder you are entitled to live anywhere in Canada - irrespective of what class of application you used to become a permanent resident of Canada. You are not signing any contract anywhere under any of the classes of PR application that you will stick to a certain city or province. As a matter of fact, the only thing the provincial nominee asks for is your intention to stay in that province. Fortunately for us, the PR card is not like a bonded work permit (I had one of those as a post-graduate university student) where you can only work for a specific employer in a specific city. So that means you are free to move. Hope that helps.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is true, by law a PR can move and live anywhere in Canada. However, the PNP's are still spending their money to process peoples applications who may have never intended to live in their province. I think it's only a matter of time until they do something to change policy or start going after people because obviously they are wasting their resources to bring in people who may have no intention of settling there.

For example AB is the only province currently that has a H1B program. They have a long waiting list already of people who are applying for it, many of who have absolutely no intention of living in AB, still have no qualms about signing a statement that they are. NB has already put a warning on their website that it's a serious thing to lie on your immigration applications and that you should not sign statements saying you are intending to settle in a province if you don't. Of course that does not mean they have a legal leg to stand on if they decide to go after somebody but I can just imagine they could make your life miserable if the province were to go to CIC and demand that your PR be pulled because you lied on their application forms. Since the burden of proof often seems to be reversed with immigration, it might be up to you to proof that you did not lie and that you did indeed intend to settle in that province.

Just because we haven't heard of them going after anybody yet doesn't mean they will not do it in the future. If it was me coming in on a PNP, I would at least stay for a few months so I can say I made an attempt to settle there and that's why I advise it to other people. As for FSW, he is not coming in processed by any one province so there is nobody to potentially go after him if he goes to Quebec. For a QSW, I would still suggest they stay for a while in QC before they move somewhere else.