+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Culture?

Simon0003

Sep 18, 2014
Hi everyone
Lived in Australia all my life, currently 19 years of age. Considering moving to Canada, and I've tried to grasp some opinions on the differences between Canada and Australia, but people seem only to believe that the weather is the single main difference, and whether or not there are 'things to do'
Id like to share what I DONT like about Australia, and it would be appreciated if anyone could outline the similarities/differences.

1. Policing system is flawed and corrupt. Police officers are generally stupid, white Caucasian men who are generally sexist and outright racist. Police officers sit on the side of the road, at the bottom of a hill, with their speed detection devices, fining anyone even slightly above the speed limit. Everyone you know (even the safest grandma driver you can find) has received a fine for something. Is there this sort of revenue raising in Canada?

2. Punishment systems. You hear of child molesters commonly getting only 12 -16 months in prison for abusing children. When they're out, it's illegal to inform anyone of their criminal history, since it then 'makes it difficult to adjust to society'. How is punishment over there?

3. The city I've grown up in (Melbourne) has the constant 'we're a big city with plenty of things to do!!' feel to it, and personally I can't stand it. To be fair, there are plenty of rural towns, but generally, the whole country feels like it's trying so hard to make 'top 10' lists for everything you can think of. This results in, for example, universities increasing prices to fund the new carpark and sports centre they desperately feel they need. How does this compare?

Some thoughts would be appreciated :)

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Having lived in several 1st world countries myself, I can honestly say the grass is not greener here. The police here in BC are polite, but they also do sting operations, as in hiding behind bushes to clock you.

Not familiar with criminal law but it seems similar to Australia. Do not know about Universities or alike

I am in Canada because of the space and nature and its proximity to the US and Europe. Not for the money or social security.

Not sure if it makes any sense to you or if I was able to help.. But there is only one way to find out, get a student permit and find out yourself. ;D

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are Australian, you would qualify for a working holiday visa in Canada which means open work permit which is as good as gold. If you use it to get a skilled job and you keep that skilled job for a year, you can apply for permanent residency. For most people in this world, there is no open work permit so they simply don't get this chance. They have to work on their skills, look for a job offer and do all kinds of paperwork before they can immigrate. For you, it's relatively simple so don't blow this chance. Otherwise, working low skilled jobs, your time will soon be up and without the right to apply for PR, you will soon be back home.

In order to have the ability to find a skilled job, you may want to study and get some work experience before you come over. If you can afford it, you can come to Canada and study. You would need a study permit and you would need to show funds to support yourself as well as pay your tuition.

1. From what I've heard, the police in Canada are generally laid back but of course it depends on your behaviour too, as well as what you have done for the police to be interfering with you. Personally, I've never had anything to do with the police.

2. I doubt Canada's law is any stricter. You can read here: http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/12/sidestepping-the-lash-punishment-of-rape-and-child-sex-offenders-lagging-in-canada-critics/

3. Everybody wants to be the best, don't they? Toronto is the big city here and many immigrants really want to settle there for some reason while actually, there are many better places where you might want to live or have an easier time finding a job. The prairie provinces are more rural but IMO the people are more friendly and unemployment is lower.

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian culture is good and I think many people can easily survive there without any issue, if they are well mannered unless you do some harm to the society there.

buliwyf

Star Member
Mar 27, 2013
Simon0003, I'm afraid it's roughly the same here in Canada.

However, if I was your age, I'd definitely come here just for the sheer amount of beautiful women from all over the world located in the same place. I'm sure my wife will agree and she would've done the same, but we are not 19 anymore and we're also happily married :)

Most of us here in this forum originated from the "3rd World." We'd like to tell you that Policing and Politics here in Canada (and I'm sure also in Australia and other developed countries) is sadly, "as good as it can get," realistically speaking. You don't have an idea what real "corruption" in the police and politics is like in other parts of the world.

Either way, get out of Australia and explore the world! You'll never regret it.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
polara69 said:
Having lived in several 1st world countries myself, I can honestly say the grass is not greener here. The police here in BC are polite, but they also do sting operations, as in hiding behind bushes to clock you.
I've yet to see a first world country where cops don't use speed traps, whether they be mounted in a vehicle, or simply standing off the side of the road (hidden or otherwise) radaring people.

Simon0003

Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the responses everyone! Regarding corruption, I agree it probably wasn't the best choice of words, relatively speaking, yes, first world countries are thankfully quite up there.
I posted hoping people would prove me wrong and tell me the grass really is greener :( Canada has that friendly, fuzzy, everyone-loves-each-other sort of vibe to us Australians who see it as a friendly magical mystery land.. I guess most western, first world countries are all becoming one and the same.. I would love to see Canada though, purely because the colder weather is so appealing. That said, having never experienced such cold, it's hard to imagine. Guess I'll have to come and find out!