+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship or US citizenship to my daughter?

Hany152

Apr 14, 2011

Hello everyone,

I and my wife are about to move to Canada soon under immigration visa and we have the intention to move to the USA in the future as we have a family in NJ (no family and no friends in Canada). Please everyone allow me to ask some questions:

1- my wife is pregnant her due date is April 1st, 2014, what is the best for her, to give birth in Canada or in US? (Both of us has a valid visa to the US).

2- if we decided to do it in Canada, should I notify the Immigration Department before We Land that my wife is pregnant?

3- what are the expected expenses in both countries? In Canada I have to buy a private health insurance in the first 3 months (In our case she will give a birth before we are eligible for the public health insurance) we will be covered by the government? I know for sure in US it will not be covered.

4- In case we are not covered by the public health insurance, will the private health insurance cover these expenses? If so, should I notify them that the beneficiary is pregnant?

5- if we decided to make it in the US, will the authority of Canada ask me when I return with my baby why we decided to do it in US?

6- what are the benefits (for me and my wife) of having our daughter born in Canada?

7- Finally, what is the best for us I mean to all the members of my family?

Our opinion is to give birth in US and automatically she will be a US citizen by birth and at the same time she will be a canadian permanent resident as we will be and of course she will has the same benefits of being resident.

Please everyone help me
Are there anyone with the same situation or had the same experience?

Good Luck to everyone

Best regards

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. You will have to decide.
2. No - you don't have to notify the immigration department before you land.
3. In Canada, it depends where you land and when you land. Some provinces have three month waiting periods before you are covered by the health care system. If you arrive too late and are not covered by the provincial health care system, then you should budget $10K for the birth. You can lower these costs by having a home birth assisted by a mid-wife. The costs can also be higher if there are complications and your wife needs to be hospitalized. There are no private insurance plans that will cover the costs of pregnancy. Anything that is not covered by the provincial health care system you will have to pay out of your own pocket. I don't know the costs in the US.
4. No - private insurance won't cover the costs.
5. No - Canada won't ask.
6. No benefits
7. Again, this is something you will have to decide.

Being a Canadian permanent resident does not carry the same benefits as being a Canadian citizen. Citizens have more benefits.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Having the baby in Canada will be cheaper as long as you settle in a province that has first day health care (all of them except BC and ON).

2. As long as she is landing while pregnant and you don't have the baby yet, you don't have to inform them. You got the visas before the baby so you must land before the baby is born.

3. If you go to a midwife instead of a doctor and have a home birth, it will be cheaper. Some people even reported they paid nothing. The costs can go to 10-20 thousand if there are complications.

4. Private insurance usually don't cover pregnancy because it is a pre-existing condition.

5. No but they may tell you that you must sponsor your baby for PR. A baby born to a PR does not automatically inherit their status.

6. If you live in Canada with your child, you will get child tax benefit. There's no additional benefit for her being born in Canada.

If you stay in Canada long enough to get citizenship and then manage to move to the US where you would immigrate and at some point also get citizenship, it would not matter where your daughter is born because she would end up a dual citizen anyway. However, if you end up leaving Canada without applying for citizenship, if your whole family only has Canada PR, you will ultimately all lose it for not meeting the residency requirements. In that case, it would be better for her to be a Canadian citizen. However, if you stay in Canada and never manage to move to the US, she would be a Canadian PR and later be able to apply for citizenship but she would not get US citizenship so easily. Basically it is up to you. I think that being born in the US would be better because you can sponsor her for PR and you can stay in Canada long enough for all of you to get Canadian citizenship. Then she'd have both.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Do you have insurance in the US? If you do it may be a good idea to give birth in the US and the baby will be automatically a US citizen.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Dejaavu said:
You might need to sponsor a baby to become a permanent resident. I don't know how it works.
If the baby is born in the USA, the child will have no rights to Canadian residency just because the parents are PR.
The child will have to be sponsored for PR and in theory might not be able to enter Canada until sponsorship is complete.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Hany152 said:

Hello everyone,

I and my wife are about to move to Canada soon under immigration visa and we have the intention to move to the USA in the future as we have a family in NJ (no family and no friends in Canada). Please everyone allow me to ask some questions:

1- my wife is pregnant her due date is April 1st, 2014, what is the best for her, to give birth in Canada or in US? (Both of us has a valid visa to the US).

2- if we decided to do it in Canada, should I notify the Immigration Department before We Land that my wife is pregnant?

3- what are the expected expenses in both countries? In Canada I have to buy a private health insurance in the first 3 months (In our case she will give a birth before we are eligible for the public health insurance) we will be covered by the government? I know for sure in US it will not be covered.

4- In case we are not covered by the public health insurance, will the private health insurance cover these expenses? If so, should I notify them that the beneficiary is pregnant?

5- if we decided to make it in the US, will the authority of Canada ask me when I return with my baby why we decided to do it in US?

6- what are the benefits (for me and my wife) of having our daughter born in Canada?

7- Finally, what is the best for us I mean to all the members of my family?

Our opinion is to give birth in US and automatically she will be a US citizen by birth and at the same time she will be a canadian permanent resident as we will be and of course she will has the same benefits of being resident.

Please everyone help me
Are there anyone with the same situation or had the same experience?

Good Luck to everyone

Best regards
Forget Canada then, start an immigration process to the US. No reason to waste the Canadian government's time or taxpayer money if your intentions are not to stay. There's plenty of people who actually want to come to Canada to permanently reside here.

I'll even help you out with a major loophole in US immigration that immigrants from Mexico use quite often in states like California:

- Come to the US as a visitor, declaring your intentions to be visiting, don't sell anything, lose place of residence, or quit any jobs in advance of going to the US.
- Get married in the US to a US citizen.
- Stay there, file an adjustment of status, declaring your intentions were not to commit immigrant fraud (which they can't prove because you still maintained your foreign job/place), wait out the process in the US.
- Profit! You're now a green card holder.

Hany152

Apr 14, 2011
Dear All,

I do appreciate your replies and your opinions but sometimes you get confused when you have many options and thinking like a father makes you trying to get all the world down to your baby for better future.

It seems to me that we will do it in Canada :D

any more suggestions will be appreciated

Good Luck to everyone