+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen working for US Employer, wanting to move back to Canada

beau3515

Dec 7, 2017
Hello,

I recently graduated in May with my Master's Degree and obtained an OPT visa, which is an extension on my student visa for my first year of work with my employer. Looking into visa options for next year, I have two options. As I work remotely, I was hoping I could move back to Canada and work remotely for my US employer. I know there are tax implications I need to look into, but I was wondering if this was possible to maintain a US work visa but work from Canada. I was hoping anyone who has experienced this, or has any knowledge about the implications or how I could work to achieve this.

Thanks.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
OPT is not a work visa. It's just an extension of your Master's.

Also, you do not need USA work visa if you ( a Canadian Citizen) are working remotely from Canada for a US employer.

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
Hello,

I recently graduated in May with my Master's Degree and obtained an OPT visa, which is an extension on my student visa for my first year of work with my employer. Looking into visa options for next year, I have two options. As I work remotely, I was hoping I could move back to Canada and work remotely for my US employer. I know there are tax implications I need to look into, but I was wondering if this was possible to maintain a US work visa but work from Canada. I was hoping anyone who has experienced this, or has any knowledge about the implications or how I could work to achieve this.

Thanks.
Depending on your degree and profession, if you're a Canadian citizen, your employer can apply for a TN visa. It is inexpensive and less time-consuming. Look into that with your employer.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

kenjia01

Star Member
Nov 5, 2017
I'm actually in a similar position. I got Canadian PR recently, but I've been on OPT working for a US employer. I currently reside in the US, but I've thought about continue working for my employer remotely from Canada. What I struggle to understand is that if I work from Canada and don't have US work authorization (aka. H1B), how can I be allowed to work for them as a full-time employee?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I'm actually in a similar position. I got Canadian PR recently, but I've been on OPT working for a US employer. I currently reside in the US, but I've thought about continue working for my employer remotely from Canada. What I struggle to understand is that if I work from Canada and don't have US work authorization (aka. H1B), how can I be allowed to work for them as a full-time employee?
There are bunch of threads in this forum on this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=canadavisa+remotely+site:www.canadavisa.com&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir4bLY8_rXAhVD94MKHSd1AHAQrQIINCgEMAA&biw=1366&bih=614